PDA

View Full Version : Wendy's ... Finger Licking Good?

Steve
03-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Finger mishap has Wendy's customer fuming

[/url]
By Dan Reed
[url="http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif"] (http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif)
Mercury News

Finding a finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili is a surprise. Hiring a lawyer after biting into it is not.

Anna Ayala, the 39-year-old Las Vegas woman who had the culinary misfortune of chomping on the tip of a human finger at a San Jose Wendy's on Tuesday evening, told her newly retained lawyer she's still nauseous, off her feed and sleepless.

And she wants Wendy's to make it right.

``All I can say is she has suffered tremendously,'' Jeffrey Janoff, a San Jose attorney, said Friday. ``People are making jokes about this, but this is a really serious thing. How many people have bitten into human flesh? It's revolting.''

Revolting? Former fans of Wendy's cuisine seem to agree. The chain reports business is off sharply, especially at the Monterey Highway outlet that served the finger-added recipe, but also throughout Northern California, where the story has received intensive media coverage.

``These types of sales drops you don't recover from quickly,'' Wendy's spokesman Denny Lynch said Friday. He declined to provide specifics.

Meanwhile, the hunt for the former owner of the finger -- that would be a person missing about an inch and a half of a digit -- continues. Capt. Bob Dixon of the Santa Clara County coroner's office said Friday the crime lab has completed the first part of attempting to lift a usable fingerprint from it.

The idea, he said, is to run the print through a database and try to match it to its owner.

Then, one would imagine, there would be many, many questions. Such as, did you know we had your finger? Why was Wendy's serving your finger in its chili? Do you want your finger back?

Dixon also said that so far it's impossible to tell whether the finger was cooked along with the main batch of chili or somehow dropped into the serving cup afterward. The lab is going to try to determine if there's some kind of test to figure that out.

No one is suggesting it was a con, such as the old scams like putting a bug in food or a mouse in a soda bottle to try to get money.

For Ayala's part, she was repulsed by the suggestion that anyone would intentionally put the finger in the chili to try to scam the fast-food chain.

``That is very sick, sick, sick,'' she said. "It's disgusting. You're playing with the human race.''

She still flinches at the memory of the cannibalistic mishap, which occurred when she was at the Monterey Highway eatery preparing to drop off her in-laws after a trip to Mexico.

``It's a taste I have never tasted in my whole life,'' she said.

While the county continues to track the ingredients Wendy's used in its chili to find the source of the finger, the fast-food outfit's representatives said they believe it didn't come from them.

``We contacted each one of our suppliers that provide ingredients for chili, and each one of them told us they have had no employee accidents involving the fingers or hand,'' said Denny Lynch.

shaolinstylee
03-26-2005, 08:21 AM
I heard about that.....

sick...

LeiYunFat
03-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum. Delicioso!

doc
03-27-2005, 03:59 AM
She's from Vegas? My first suspicion is that she found this fingertip somewhere, and put it her bowl.

Too many scam artists there. The outcome of this will be interesting.

shaolinstylee
03-27-2005, 04:25 AM
Either way she is going to be payed.

Steve
03-27-2005, 05:56 AM
She's from Vegas? My first suspicion is that she found this fingertip somewhere, and put it her bowl.

Where do you find a fingertip to plant in Wendy's Chili?
They said on the news, the fingertip seems to have been cooked in the chili. If the police can get the print from the tip to a the person it belonged to, now that will be interesting.

LeiYunFat
03-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Then we'll find out that Dave was done in in a quick and bloddy coup, by none other than thr Russbo underworld.

How many warnings do I get if I get found guilty?

-edit-

This is not a confession. Merely a hypothetical situation. You know, for laughs. Heh...heh...

onesp1ng
03-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Come on, Steve! Like you don't have any fingers laying around the old apt?

g

master splinter
03-28-2005, 03:47 AM
she got the finger.

master splinter
03-28-2005, 03:48 AM
she got fingered,

plumflower_pm
03-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm sure the situation is well in hand. :sarcasm:

I think this was an inside job. Morbid as this is, I was thinking about "where would someone get a finger?" and really, probably any one of us knows someone who knows someone who works in a hospital or a morgue or something...

_________
Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.
_________

zachsan
03-28-2005, 08:57 PM
donnie, yer outta yer element.

plumflower_pm
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
:D

----------

doc
04-09-2005, 02:19 PM

LOL, that's what I said. Too predictable...

From MSNBC:

The woman who claims she bit into a human finger while eating chili at a Wendy’s restaurant has a history of filing lawsuits — including a claim against another fast-food restaurant.

Anna Ayala, 39, who hired a San Jose, Calif., attorney to represent her in the Wendy’s case, has been involved in at least half a dozen legal battles in the San Francisco Bay area, according to court records.

She brought a suit against an ex-boss in 1998 for sexual harassment and sued an auto dealership in 2000, alleging the wheel fell off her car. That suit was dismissed after Ayala fired her lawyer, who said she had threatened him.

The case against her former employer was settled in arbitration in June 2002, but it was not known whether she received any money.

Speaking through the front door of her Las Vegas home Friday, Ayala claimed police are out to get her and were unnecessarily rough as they executed a search warrant at her home on Wednesday.

“Lies, lies, lies, that’s all I am hearing,” she said. “They should look at Wendy’s. What are they hiding? Why are we being victimized again and again?”

Ayala acknowledged, however, that her family received a settlement for their medical expenses about a year ago after reporting that her daughter, Genesis, got sick from food at an El Pollo Loco restaurant in Las Vegas.

Wonder if Steve knows her from church. No doubt we'll be seeing Genesis there one day....

shaolinstylee
04-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I heard this on the news this morning...

lol, wacko's the whole lot of them.

blooming tianshi lotus
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Interesting from a legal view point without a de-fingered hand. I once knew of someone who was charged with murder . She did do the crime, but because they couldn't find a body, the charges didn't stick. You can't be charged for the same crime twice either ( unless there's new evidence) so the crown had to let her go until they had enough evidence to re-open the case.

It could just be a morge robbery, but really, it could've come from anywhere.

Interesting stuff ha. Thank god I'm not a forensic police officer either. If you do wake up with a finger missing though, I can probably think of a real good place to start looking for it.

cheers

BL

shaolinstylee
04-10-2005, 03:18 AM
I once knew of someone who was charged with murder .

Why does this not surprise me!?

Steve
04-10-2005, 03:42 AM
The next sentence is even better.:eek:

She did do the crime, but because they couldn't find a body, the charges didn't stick.

More on this story:

Las Vegas Woman Has History of Filing Lawsuits
Apr 9, 2005, 12:00 PM

Earlier this week, police raided the local home of a woman who reported finding a finger in her chili at a Wendy's restaurant in California. Officers were looking for evidence that she actually knows where the finger came from. Now there is new information about the woman's extensive history of lawsuits.
Anna Ayala has long denied any involvement in the chili incident. She bit down on the finger last month while eating at a Wendy s restaurant in San Jose. Ayala filed a claim with the company, and it turns out she has filed many more over the past several years.
San Jose police detectives have yet to find a Wendy's employee or any worker at its food processing plants that lost a finger. Sgt. Muyo said, "Our goal, from a criminal standpoint, is to try to find out what person owns this finger."
The investigation led officers to the home of Ayala herself searching her house Wednesday evening. Ayala denies a rumor that she planted the finger of a dead relative. Instead, she places the blame on Wendy's by filing a claim with the company.
The Associated Press reports Ayala has a history of filing lawsuits with more than a half dozen legal battles stretching over a decade, including a 1998 case against her ex-boss. She sought $500,000 for sexual harassment.
In 2000, she sued an auto dealership alleging a wheel fell off her car. That suit was dismissed after Ayala fired her lawyer. Moreover, as recently as last year, the family settled with the fast-food chain El Pollo Loco.
Ayala's 13-year-old daughter got food poisoning. Junior Reyes, Ayala's 18-year-old son said, "My little sister started getting sicker and sicker. Her skin started turned yellow. We took her to the hospital and they wouldn't let her out for out for two weeks because she had salmonella poisoning."
Junior Reyes says his mother is not money hungry. His family simply has bad luck.
Eyewitness News said to Reyes, "A lot of people go through life with no lawsuits. Your mom and your family have been involved with several lawsuits in just the last several years."
Reyes replied, "Yeah, most of them have been car crashes and stuff like that."
When asked if he thought it was weird that the family has been involved in so many more lawsuits than the average family, Reyes said, "Yeah, cause we have a little bad luck every here and then."
Wendy's is offering a $50,000 reward for information in this case hoping someone knows what happened.

(Apr. 8) -- Anna Ayala was adamant that authorities are looking at the wrong person for placing that finger in her chili. Eyewitness News spoke with a DNA expert Friday to learn if the finger could be one of Ayala's dead family members.
Anna Ayala says, "No. I did not. No. I did not. That is the stupidest thing that they can say. Now I'm angry."
Ayala is upset that there have been claims that the finger she found in her Wendy's chili comes from a dead aunt. San Jose police along with Metro's fraud unit detectives raided Ayala's Las Vegas home on Wednesday looking for clues that would link her to the finger before it was found in her chili.
Ken Bono, a family friend, says, "Myself, I think they were looking for some sort of evidence that showed that maybe they brought that with them to San Jose or whatever. I'm pretty sure that's what they were looking for."
Bona says that the family did give blood samples to authorities after the incident and San Jose police have the finger in their possession.
Dr. Walter Goldstein, with the UNLV Biotechnology Center says, "A similar pattern might be an aunt, three generations removed. Maybe has two over here."
Dr. Goldstein says that it would be easy to tell from DNA technology if the finger comes from a relative of Ayala's. "You could say the probably is an aunt and you would have some odds with that. You would say the probability is that it's an aunt. That's the way people would express it."
The Clark County Coroner's office says that they have not been asked by the San Jose Police Department to exhume a body here related to this case. Nor have they had any involvement in this case at all.
The Ayala family says that they were physically injured by the officers who served the search warrant.
San Jose police say they acted professionally. Metro police say they have not received any formal complaints from the Ayala family about police abuse.

blooming tianshi lotus
04-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Sounds expensive . Budget vs purpose ha????

lol :sarcasm: ......... some ppl just get away with murder I guess. Can they suspend the case until they find a hand maybe??? :confused:
Let us know how they handle that.

cheers

shaolinstylee
04-10-2005, 05:31 AM
Let us know how you handle the axe murders........

onesp1ng
04-10-2005, 07:09 AM
This finger lady is just brilliant.. Did she not think that Wendy's would investigate?

I may be a dork.... but this ladies a dope...

g

Steve
04-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Finger in Chili Is Called Hoax; Las Vegas Woman Is Charged
By MATT RICHTEL and ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO

SAN JOSE, Calif., April 22 - A woman who said she found a finger in her beef chili at a Wendy's restaurant has been charged with attempted larceny in what the police are calling a hoax against the fast-food chain.

But the San Jose Police Department stopped short of accusing the woman, Anna Ayala, 39, of planting the finger she said she found in her food last month, an incident that set off a consumer backlash against Wendy's in Northern California.

The police, in a news conference here on Friday, also declined to say where the finger came from. They said that the investigation was continuing but that it had clearly found that neither Wendy's nor its suppliers were responsible for the presence of the two pieces of finger that Ms. Ayala said she found.

Ms. Ayala was arrested late Thursday in Las Vegas, where she lives. The San Jose police said she was being held on $500,000 bail and that they hoped to extradite her to California, though they did not give a timetable for the extradition.

"The true victims are Wendy's owners and operators," said Rob Davis, the San Jose chief of police. He added of Ms. Ayala's account, "As a result of forensic evidence, we believe that what she said is not true."

Ms. Ayala could not be reached for comment. Karyn Sinunu, the assistant district attorney for Santa Clara County, which filed the charges, said that as far as she knew, Ms. Ayala did not have a lawyer as of Friday afternoon.

If she is convicted, Ms. Ayala faces six years and two months in prison and could owe up to $2.5 million to Wendy's, Ms. Sinunu said. That potential prison sentence includes a second larceny charge in an unrelated case in which Ms. Ayala is accused of bilking $11,000 for a sale of a mobile home she did not own. It was owned by her live-in boyfriend.

Ms. Ayala has been involved in other legal disputes as well. According to a police affidavit filed in the case, Ms. Ayala has filed at least 13 civil actions in California and Nevada involving her or her children, at times settling cases for a cash payout before going to trial.

The Associated Press reported that Ms. Ayala said she had received a settlement last year from an El Pollo Loco restaurant in Las Vegas after contending that her daughter became ill there. An El Pollo Loco spokeswoman said no payment had been made. The A.P. also reported that Ms. Ayala brought a sexual harassment suit against a former boss in 1998 and, asserting the wheel fell off her car, sued a car dealership in 2000.

In the Wendy's case, Chief Davis declined to elaborate on the results of forensics testing so far. But some new details from the investigation emerged on Friday, which shed light on the critical question of whether the finger had been cooked in the chili. According to the criminal affidavit filed against Ms. Ayala, an initial test by the Santa Clara County coroner's office concluded the finger "was not consistent with an object that had been cooked in chili at 170 degrees for three hours," as is the Wendy's policy. The finger was later sent to an outside forensic pathologist whose tests disproved some of the statements made by Ms. Ayala, the affidavit said.

Police officers also were never able to verify contentions by Ms. Ayala and two relatives that she vomited after spitting out the detached finger. The officers found no vomit at the scene, the affidavit said.

The disclosures by the police - while not clarifying the mystery of the origin of the finger - bring some resolution to a monthlong crisis for Wendy's. After Ms. Ayala said she found the finger, she threatened to sue the company. She later withdrew that threat.

Her claims, and the mass of news media attention it brought, caused individual franchises in Northern California to lose 20 percent to 50 percent of their sales, the company said. According to the affidavit, Wendy's estimated it has been losing $1 million a day since the incident was made public on March 22.

Denny Lynch, a senior vice president at Wendy's, said the chain had been vindicated. The company has been scrambling to quell the fallout, cooperating with the police but also doing its own investigation to try to clear its employees and suppliers. "Someone put something in a bowl of chili, but it was not us," Mr. Lynch said. "We don't know what happened. But we know Wendy's is innocent."

onesp1ng
04-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Just......brilliant...\\\\

She is not very smart, I mean. What a waste of another human life... :cool:

Steve
04-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Wendy's Hopes Arrest Woos Back Customers
Wendy's Hopes Customers Will Return Now That Woman's Claim of Finger in Chili Is Likely a Hoax
By KIM CURTIS
The Associated Press
Apr. 23, 2005 - Wendy's restaurants are hoping business will bounce back now that a woman who claimed she found a finger in her bowl of chili has been arrested and investigators say the whole case was likely a hoax.

Anna Ayala is accused of attempted grand larceny, a charge authorities said relates to the financial losses Wendy's has suffered since Ayala claimed she bit down a 1 1/2-inch finger tip in a mouthful of her chili on March 22.

The loss to Wendy's restaurants in the Bay area is $2.5 million, according to the felony complaint against her.

"Indeed, what we have found is that thus far our evidence suggests the truest victims in this case are indeed the Wendy's owner, operators and employees here in San Jose," San Jose Police Chief Rob Davis said Friday.

Sales dropped at Wendy's in Northern California because of the furor, forcing layoffs and reduced hours.

"It's been 31 days, and believe me it's been really tough," said Joseph Desmond, owner of the local Wendy's franchise. "My thanks also go out to all the little people who were hurt in our stores. They lost a lot of wages because we had to cut back because our business has been down so badly."

The company plans to launch a marketing campaign and decided to offer free Frosties this weekend at its Bay area restaurants, Wendy's spokesman Denny Lynch said.

"If you look at the facts, the police have conducted an investigation and filed charges and made an arrest. We believe that is a clear sign we have been vindicated," he said.

Ayala's claim that she found the well-manicured finger during her meal at a San Jose Wendy's initially drew sympathy. She hired a lawyer and filed a claim against the franchise owner, but dropped the lawsuit threat soon after suspicion fell on her.

Ayala, who has a history of bringing claims against big corporations, was arrested at her suburban Las Vegas home Thursday. A court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday; in the meantime, she is being held without bail.

San Jose Police Capt. David Keneller said police consider Ayala's claim a hoax. Police refused to say where the finger originated and exactly how the hoax was carried out.

But according to a person knowledgeable about the case who spoke on condition of anonymity, the charge stemmed from San Jose police interviews with people who said Ayala described putting a finger in the chili.

Many loyal patrons continue to support the Wendy's where Ayala made her claim.

On Friday, Tom McCready headed into the franchise and ordered two bowls of chili to go plus a baked potato topped with chili.

"If they've got 10 fingers, it's OK with me," the San Jose retiree said about the Wendy's employees at the counter.

He said he and his wife have supported the restaurant since Ayala's claim, heading there more often and ordering the chili. His opinion of Ayala's claim: "It's a crock."

shaolinstylee
04-24-2005, 12:04 AM
lol, she'll be working for Wendy's in no time...

doc
04-24-2005, 02:33 AM
She'll be doing laundry for MJ in no time....

onesp1ng
04-24-2005, 06:17 AM
There's no time like the present to get a big bowl of chilli with a potato on the side:happy:

plumflower_pm
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Now for an actual substantiated event:

A guy found a small slice of human skin in his Arby's chicken sandwich. Seems the manager cut a slice off of his thumb while chopping lettuce, cleaned up and sanitized the area but didn't throw away the lettuce he'd been chopping or apparently look for his missing skin.

The 'victim' is suing the franchise owner, not the Arby's corporation.

here's a link to the article:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11484061.htm

onesp1ng
04-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Well thank goodness for real **** ups!

shaolinstylee
04-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Is it me, or does this taste a bit fleshy....

Steve
05-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Finger in Chili Came From Nevada Man

After two months of confusion and accusations, the finger in the chili mystery is solved. A local couple is accused of planting the finger. The announcement came after weeks of investigation in Las Vegas, San Jose and even Mexico.

San Jose's police chief says they've figured out whose fingertip was in that bowl of Wendy's chili -- a man from Nevada.

Chief Robert Davis, San Jose Police Department, said, "It was determined that he lost a portion of his finger in an industrial accident in December of last year and that he is an associate of James Plasencia, the husband of Anna Ayala."

Ayala is the woman who adamantly claimed to have bit into the finger in a cup of chili at a Wendy's in San Jose. But authorities believed it was a hoax. And Ayala, who has a history of filing claims is still in jail in San Jose, charged with attempted grand larceny.

Investigators say a call came into the Wendy's hotline telling them about the man who lost his finger in an accident last December. The mans name has not been released and its unclear who made the call.

Wendy's had offered a $100,000 reward for information.

After all the terrible publicity, the restaurant claimed it has lost millions in revenue and had to lay off employees in Northern California.

Authorities are now considering additional criminal charges against Ayala and her husband, Plasencia.

Plasencia has waived extradition and is still in the Clark County Detention Center on an unrelated fraud charge. He declined an Eyewitness News request for comment on Friday's developments

San Jose police were in Nevada on May 12th and determined through DNA testing that the finger did belong to the man.

Since the Ayala case has cost the Wendy's restaurant chain millions of dollars, they're trying to win customers back this weekend.

The hamburger chain is giving away free junior Frosty desserts.

Wendy's gave away 100,000 a couple of weeks ago in the San Jose area where Ayala claimed to have found the finger. This weekend the company will spread the giveaway nationwide.

Chili Finger Tipster Talks

On Friday, Eyewitness News tracked down the man who tipped off police to the origin of the finger. He says both Anna Ayala's husband and the man who lost his finger worked for him at his Las Vegas business.

It's likely that the finger came from a man who worked at Lamb Asphalt near Losee and Cheyenne. The worker's finger was cut off in an accident. The company president is the one who called the tipline that has led to recent developments. He spoke with Eyewitness News in an exclusive interview.

News of a Las Vegas woman finding a finger in her Wendy's chili captured national attention more than a month ago. Authorites believe the one and a half inch finger tip was planted, and now there is evidence they might be right. DNA tests prove the finger came from a worker at Lamb Asphalt.

Mike Casey said, "I said it was ironic and coincidental, but I said the fellow you arrested works for me. I had a fellow lose a finger in an industrial accident."

Company president Mike Casey says he called Wendy's tip line last week. One of his employees who was recently arrested was Jaime Plasencia, Anna Ayala's husband. There was also an accident resulting in another employee's finger getting chopped off.

Casey says the accident occurred at his business, Lamb Asphalt, last year. He says one of his workers was handling some equipment when he lost a fingertip. That worker was rushed to the hospital. The finger tip remained there initially, but it was given back to the worker.

Casey adds, "From that point, no, I absolutely know nothing about the fingertip from that point on."

Casey says he never heard any rumors among employees about a plot to rip Wendy's off.

Ironically, Lamb Asphalt maintains the parking lots at local Wendy's and that relationship sparked Casey's actions. "And if we can help them solve the issue that cost them a lot of money and P.R. problems, we are more than happy to do it and it is our community duty to do what we can."

Casey said Plasencia had a reputation as a good worker and that the employee who lost his finger is a long-time valued worker. So, he is really hoping he was not involved in any plot.

shaolinstylee
05-16-2005, 04:53 PM
lol, I guess the only thing left to do is wait for this lady to release a book about the Wendy's and governments conspiracy theory against her.