Could smoking be benificial????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could smoking be benificial????

I was just meditating the other day when I came back to craving a cigarette. I got to thinking about why in my normal regime, I do that but still kick so much cardio as* .....
    When you smoke, there is a thermal regulation adjustment that happens in your body . I find that my kidneys really seem to function better and my fluids are better balanced when they have that extra heat throughout the day. Thermal regulation is obviously important for various reasons.

I also think that like the sugar in alcohol production thing, when you fill your lungs with smoke, besides acting like a sealant for A. the above process , if you were to use qigong style breathing techniques, on your out breath, and lack of breath, toxins are burnt more rapidly , the heat promoting more oxygenation and the smoke sealing the heat in. It's probably a little out, but I'm fairly sure there's something in it.
    I read something in some ninjutsu manuals a while back that spoke about toxin burn off during the kujikiri meditational breathing process and in lack of breath ( harmonised or complimented with the phyioslogical effects of meditation in general like slowed heart rate and metabolism etc ) , and I dare say , it likely works fairly similarly.

If you have anything intelligent to add, go ahead.

cheers

BTL

If you have anything intelligent to add, go ahead.
    Yes, in fact, I do.

That was utter bullshit.

But, you do raise a good question. For, smoking can be beneficial in a few ways. For one, insurance companies love it, because people get lung cancer and usually die quickly, without causing too many medical claims. Heart disease, and some other cancers that are not as quick to kill you, generate far more expense.

Smoking is good for alcohol related businesses, as, people who find themselves addicted to nicotine, either because of previous use, or, a mental state associated with a chemical dependency problem, generally also find themselves using a lot of alcohol. The two go hand in hand. Some medical people actually believe that it has more to do with a personality alteration, or, disorder, than just a simple addiction. But, regardless of which came first, alcoholism to various degrees is highly associated with smoking habits.

And, for you medical trivia people out there, there is a medical condition in which smoking does play a significant, and positive role. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a condition which results in fibrosis and scarring of the small airways of the lung, resulting in ever decreasing lung capacities and eventual suffocation, seems to be slightly ameliorated, and demonstrates a decreased speed of progression, in those who smoke. No one knows why. Most people that develop this disease die within five years or so. Of interest, Jerry Lewis has it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

i wouldn't say smoking is good for the alcohol business necessarily, rather the other way around. people smoke a lot more when they're drinking, but people don't really decide they need a beer since they're just had a camel. this kind of thing comes from having an addictive personality, which would manifest itself in other ways if nicotine, caffeine and alcohol weren't so easy to get.

anyway, it needs to be mentioned that a good pipe after a hearty meal is in fact good for the soul. but if you have any genuine love of tobacco, stay away from cigarettes. smoking a cigarette is like taking a good bottle of scotch, mixing it with apple juice and drinking it from an aluminum can.

Comment

Fair predictable comments.

What about the centaurians that smoke a packet a day then??? I believe you describe a potential risk, but then there are other factors to good health aswell . Don't worry, I feel the same about ppl who comprimse their diet habitually .

BL

Comment

What about the centaurians that smoke a packet a day then???
          what the blooming lotus are you talking about?

Don't worry, I feel the same about ppl who comprimse their diet habitually.
          ok. how would you respond it someone tried to convince you that it was healthy for them to eat two chocolate cakes a day?

wait.... wait.... there, you've got it.

Comment

Actually, I've seen anorexics and belimics be treated before and you'd never guess what the doctors wanted them to eat to get healthier.........

Outside the box Zachsan

Comment

Let me guess. Beef. Fat. Ribs. Cake. Pie. Any Southern cookin.

Am I gettin warm?
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

hmm, eating and retaning that food would be the theme....lol
                practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                  Yes, in fact, I do.
                  For, smoking can be beneficial in a few ways. For one, insurance companies love it, because people get lung cancer and usually die quickly, without causing too many medical claims.

lol Anyway , glad we agree then :P

Smoking is good

( the man reiterates )

for alcohol related businesses, as, people who find themselves addicted to nicotine, either because of previous use, or, a mental state associated with a chemical dependency problem ( hey ....... don't carbohydrates have a chemical notation ?????? carbohydratism is the clinical term of the act of it's abuse I believe ) , generally also find themselves using a lot of alcohol. The two go hand in hand. Some medical people actually believe that it has more to do with a personality alteration, or, disorder, than just a simple addiction. But, regardless of which came first, alcoholism to various degrees is highly associated with smoking habits.

Just rehashed this habit thing over a shower and the whole disorder theory and slap me silly if I don't have a truck load of them myself. In fact, my daily habit indulgence disorder begins when I wake up. I do it at around the same time every single day. I have no intention of stopping and may or may not suffer some anxiety if I don't it and at the time set.

I then have a habit of introducing myself to ppl by my name and briefly locking eyes, perhaps smiling or extending or accepting a hand for shaking as I do it. This is a regular habit.

I also am in the committed habit of enjoying sex. I also habitually put things in my mouth and enjoy seeking all sorts of various internal and external stimuli. Having no plan to change any of these things and now I understand it's a disorder of habit I have, I think I'll just throw my hands in the air and accept it.

cheers
                  Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 04-14-2005, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
                    Let me guess. Beef. Fat. Ribs. Cake. Pie. Any Southern cookin.

Am I gettin warm?

Sardonism aside for sec, Sorry LeiYunfat, but you're seriously cold ! .......

Carbs and fat and protein are all essential parts of a healthful eating plan. You can even vary the degrees in % of which you eat them pending what you need at the time and it can be the absolute most healthful choice you could make . Even sugar can have a place in a contingency plan in lieu of something else that metabolises as a syrup. An apple pie to someone needing a grain and some fruit can be a totally healthfully indulgent pleasure and ditto on the meat pie inards to someone needing a protein hit. Even Fried chicken in pig back fat ( if you're familar with the tcm principal of the benifit of chicken marrow or the old elnglish nans western soup notion of how chicken soothes and restores a lean or overtaxed stomache and immunity ) can be a great choice. Don't forget certain fats are necc at times too!
                    It's how much you have and what you do with the best of your other resources that matters. You do the best you can with the best of both your resources and information and that's all a person can ask...... and send me to hell but I'll even cook it for you , thank the chicken on your behalf , serve it on a great dish and accept your right to the longevity. If I'm in the kitchen after that, I might even wash your dish. I am definately a buddhist through and through, but I believe we have an obligation to our health and best sense aswell. There's reason and there's reason.
                    Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 04-14-2005, 01:17 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=I also am in the committed habit of enjoying sex. I also habitually put things in my mouth and enjoy seeking all sorts of various internal and external stimuli. just throw my hands in the air and accept it.

cheers[/QUOTE]

ummm........ youre talking about cigs right?
                      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

could smoking be beneficial? ewll i guess it can if YOU think it can, but according to medical science, i would say NO! smoking takes oxygen away from your brain and throws your body into shock, well... atleast thats what i think.

DR rob1357 PhD
                        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

could smoking be beneficial? ewll i guess it can if YOU think it can, but according to medical science, i would say NO! smoking takes oxygen away from your brain and throws your body into shock, well... atleast thats what i think. but smoking sucks, it gets you all lightheaded and nauseated, i dont see how it would help you at all.

DR rob1357 PhD

Comment

I have a book which covers meditation in depth on different levels and facets and there is a chapter about smoking while meditating. The author goes into detail about why the med. is beneficial (from a spiritual standpoint). After all if smoking takes minutes off of your life, but not smoking makes you unhappy, which is the choice for you? I've never seen any scientifical data aboot it, but the metaphysical theories kind of make sense. I don't advise it ,but I'm no authority. What about inscence, exhaust (from refridgerators, cars, computers, furnaces-n-air conditioners), and all of the other air born pollutants? There is documented data regarding incedence of disease at increased rates related to smoking. Ever since I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago I can't stand the smell of it. It sticks to you lick glue. I remember a time when it smelled sweet and delicious. I had to remove myself from situations that surrounded me with smoke. I have noticed a reduced rate of colds and flu. Is anybody still reading this? Sorry... anyways being happy comes first, then ask yourself why you like what you like and decide what influences the decisions you make. You will either reinforce habits or disregard them. It's a good way to access your current scenario.

peece

Comment

i used to subscribe to that whole happiness-over-longevity thing. i eventually found that Happiness is too vague a concept for me to want to stake my future on it. and smoking, drinking, and the like couldn't provide it for me anyway.

now, momentary enjoyment, that's worth staking my future on.

Comment

Working...
                              X