Mantis Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantis Boxing

How many types of northern mantis is it?

A bunch, and most are related. There are a couple of really good sites out there with info....

some that I know of:
    7 star preying mantis
    8 step preying mantis
    plumflower preying mantis
    taiji preying mantis
    wah lum preying mantis
    flat plate (also called spotless mantis)

a thread about his elsewhere can be found here....
    Does anyone have the major praying mantis styles (12 I think)? I know wah lum had a handbook with these but I don't seem to remember all of them. jut sao plum flower tai chi tai chi plum flower

the northern mantis forum with some pretty knowledged practitioners
    The devastatingly effective system of Praying Mantis Boxing originated in the 17th century, was adopted by the Shaolin Temples and spread throughout China.

Hope this helps you on your journey.
    practice wu de

Comment

also six harmonies, eight step, connecting arm, mandarin duck, jade bracelet, shiny (bright)board, secret (closed) door, and the style I train, Pong Lai.

http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/frame.htm (Mantis Cave: a great mantis resource)

www.ponglai.com
      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Thanks PFPM..

I couldn't remember mantis cave last night....
        practice wu de

Comment

Thats a helpful link. I just started 7 star last month and I like it, I wanted to know how many other styles there was. I learned like 20 step tang lang quan about 5 years ago, but I dont remeber the name, it was like a basic from expressing the charactersitcs and priciples.

Arigato

Comment

Well, good luck with your training.
            practice wu de

Comment

heheheh.....time to start some trouble.

who would win? a praying mantis dude, or a hsing i dude? my vote is hsing i.

isnt praying mantis that style lion from virtua fighter uses? im guessing a pressure point art?
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I think I have a slideshow of Tong Long Chuan in the Slideshow Library.

Do I? Not sure if I did that one or not...
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Doc, pretty sure the pinyin is tang lang quan /chuan.. if you care.

g
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1357
                    heheheh.....time to start some trouble.

who would win? a praying mantis dude, or a hsing i dude? my vote is hsing i.

isnt praying mantis that style lion from virtua fighter uses? im guessing a pressure point art?
                    I'm guessing you were not serious. But since we're on XingYi, do you practice it?

Comment

The funny thing is, how much some of southern mantis can look like xing yi...
                      practice wu de

Comment

I hope you're not talking about the southern mantis i think you're talking about. cuz that does NOT look like Xingyi.

although i can see how some of the use of body in waves can resemble Pi.

Comment

I always thought it looked like a cross between white eyebrow and xingyi... not just like it.. but some similar movements, some of which were in the footwork...
                          practice wu de

Comment

I can see that...

Comment

i heard praying mantis most fears xing yi.

no i dont practice with a teacher or anything, i just have a book on it. im trying to learn the five element forms right now.
                              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                              X