Training for a tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for a tourney

I'm going to try to participate in a tournment. I want too do three events. Sparring, empty hand forms, and a weapons form. The sparring will be little or not contact point sparring, 5 round. An empty hand form, thing here is this being a closed tournment everyone will be doing or know the same forms. The weapon form will probably more an okinaween style bo staff form, then a shaolin bo staff form. I guess I will like some suggestions on how to practice. I've decided I want to practice daily. Also to practice like one is doing the form in the tournement. I hope I can get someone video some of forms for people to see.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

With the forms, do walkthroughs to get your flow, slow to get the power, and fast to build the agility... then put it all together.
    practice wu de

Comment

You can also practice transition after transition, so you are more fluid. If you lose balance after a sequence, practice that sequence over and over.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

the forms advice was good - try also practicing your forms with a brick in each hand a few times, then put the bricks down and go for speed.

For sparring, train your cardio hard. No one is easier to beat than the guy who is out of breath.

You'll be point sparring, so train for speed and control -- find someone and spar using the rules of the competition as often as you can up to the tourney. You'll have to practice light contact, too, because they'll take points away and/or disqualify you if you rock your opponent's head more than a few inches or make him step back from a body shot. Make sure you keep the points you get.

I stopped point sparring many years ago in favor of continuous sparring, but one thing I tell my students; if the judges don't see it, it doesn't count.

Good luck, and be sure to post your results!
        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

OH, and the biggest thing, remember you're there to have fun.
          practice wu de

Comment

No, you're there to WIN. Embrace the competitive spirit! The other competitors don't have the same support as a whole martial arts community like you do. Don't you dare return without a total victory.

Just kidding, go have fun.

Comment

Hit on at least one girl while you're there. Oh, speaking of which I have a story for you guys...

Comment

Um, lol, when is the tournie greeny
                practice wu de

Comment

Umm, when is this story coming out, dog?
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Oh crap...maybe Green thought I was serious when I said, "Don't you dare come back without a total victory."

Or maybe he whoopped so much that he hasn't yet been able to pull all the women off him to get to a computer.

Comment

So how did the tournament go, Greenknight?

Comment

I won first out of three in sparring, second out of three in weapons, and fourth out of four in forms. One guy I competed against in sparring had good kicks.
                        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Congrat's Greenknight!!!!!!!!!!!

Just, well, next time can you get back to us quicker? Some of the boys were worred about you. Ahhhh...

g
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

That'll do, GK. That'll do.

Comment

I'm thinking about competiting in a state tournament this summer. I don't know if I would even place in that one, alot of TKD's in the area.

Comment

Working...
                              X