• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: Martial Arts Home Training

Martial Arts Home Training
    By
    Mike Young

The author has trained in many styles, and has one the some competitions such as California Police Olympics, in Karate, and Boxing. He has studied many styles of martial arts such as boxing, wrestling, akido, Judo, Escrima, Hapkido, Southern Shaolin, etc. He has also traveled around the world to study martial arts.

There are some things I thought was interesting. He mainly goes into techniques he does with a few training equipment. The shadowboxing training towel, the precision blocking tool, the heavy-duty striking post (similiar to a wavemaster), the grocery bag, the small bag, the hanging tire, tire, the choking dummy. Of these I thought the precision blocking tool, the hanging tire, and the choking dummy were most interesting. I also thought the way he practiced on some of the bags was also interesting.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Care to explain some of these training techniques in a little more detail? The only thing I can think of with respect to using a grocery bag as a weapon, was to fill it with dog shit and set it on fire, on your neighbor's porch.

Kind of fun to watch them stamp it out.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Sounds like he was challenging someones claim that, "He couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag."

practice wu de

Comment

grocery bag he uses to hit or hang up and hit.

the straggulation dummy he uses to practice his strangulation holds on.

the hanging tire he practices on with escrima sticks, or on the ground he stands on and does boxing or other stuff

the precision blocking tool is three secitions of pvc pipe, taped together so another person can practice like an arm.
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Hang up and hit a grocery bag?

Is it full of cans of tomato soup?
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

ummm.. are you sure your supposed to hit the bag.

I have heard of something like that with a paper or tow, were you just try to come close to hitting it to work control i guess.

Or is that what you meant by
            The shadowboxing training towel

Comment

Working...
            X