Frankenrice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenrice

In the first modification of its kind, Japanese researchers have inserted a gene from the human liver into rice to enable it to digest pesticides and industrial chemicals. The gene makes an enzyme, code-named CPY2B6, which is particularly good at breaking down harmful chemicals in the body.

Present GM crops are modified with genes from bacteria to make them tolerate herbicides, so that they are not harmed when fields are sprayed to kill weeds. But most of them are only able to deal with a single herbicide, which means that it has to be used over and over again, allowing weeds to build up resistance to it.

But the researchers at the National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences in Tsukuba, north of Tokyo, have found that adding the human touch gave the rice immunity to 13 different herbicides. This would mean that weeds could be kept down by constantly changing the chemicals used.

Supporting scientists say that the gene could also help to beat pollution.

LINKAGE

ok so this HAS to have health ramifications....
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

sure it does, namely, farmers will be able to make more rice for less money, thus keeping more people fed and healthy. it's a beautiful thing.

keep in mind, "digest" doesn't mean "store inside". for instance, even though you are a lethal master of the martial arts, if you were digested, you would no longer be dangerous.

also, the fact that these are "human genes" doesn't really mean much. genes are just patterned sequences of DNA, and it doesn't much matter where they come from. other mammals have plenty of DNA in common with us, and we eat some of them without flinching. well, most of us.
    Last edited by zachsan; 04-28-2005, 09:41 PM.

Comment

thanks for the edumacation, zach. As a side note, I'll try not to get digested.
      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Getting digested sucks, my kung fu went seriously down hill after I got digested the last time....
        practice wu de

Comment

Working...
        X