loss of range of motion after ankle sprain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of range of motion after ankle sprain

Hi, i recently sprained my ankle. (about 2 1/2 months ago) i did the rice thing and did ankle rotations when i could to try to stop the ankle getting stiff. its pretty much fine now apart from i have lost range of motion in it. if i am to stand on both feet flat on the ground, together and pointing forward then squat down my damaged ankle will only go so far, theres about 5-10 degrees more rotation in my undamaged ankle., this makes some stances either really awkward and landing on that foot often hurts because i cant absorb much impact (all training is on those soft mats anyway).
    the actual sprain was done by landing on my right foot, on the ball and i think the foot bent too far towards the shin.
    if anyone has any ideas on increasing the range of motion again i would be most grateful, cheers

I can only think of one thing: time. That's probably not what you want to hear, but if you're still feeling pain in the ankle, then it hasn't healed yet, and so the loss of motion is a result of the ankle's stiffening. Sometimes these things just take a long time to heal properly.

hope you feel better soon,

g
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

cool

yeah time is the great healer. ah well, looks like i'll have to put my energy into getting a job instead of kicking hehe

Comment

Get a bottle of zheng gu shui. soak a gauze pad in the liniment and then tape it onto your ankle. Change the pad at least once or twice a day, but make sure you leave it off for a few hours a day so it breathes (but not at night, keep the zheng gu shui pad on at while you sleep).

Also, see a good massage therapist. And go easy on yourself. Do more qigong and less jumping/kicking/lowstances.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

See the associated posts in the Ankle Injury thread, in this sub forum, or, this post:

Your range of motion should return with time. You have to be careful about how much you push yourself; remember, things are healing, and healing tissue doesn't achieve full strength for a good two months or so. The one thing that you don't want to do is re-injure yourself.

One of the best therapies for injured joints, or, injured muscles, is water. Getting into water, and "moving", not only feels good, but it provides a decent amount of resistance to make expending energy worthwhile. It's especially good for spinal column and muscle injuries, but it works well for other joints as well. Once you're feeling better, and you'll know this better than anyone, gradually increase your exercise of the area, and things should eventually return to normal.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Cheers

Thanks for the advise, i'll definately following it up.
            thanks dudes.

Comment

Working...
            X