Shaolin Temple and UNESCO Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Temple and UNESCO Status

I've been informed by my reliable sources that Shi Yong Xin has failed to achieve UNESCO status.

As we have been reporting for the last few years, Yongxin has been trying to renovate the temple in his bid to obtain UNESCO World Heritage Site status for the temple area, a status which would not only bring world recognition and protection to the temple, but, also, indirectly, financial benefits.

More details to follow.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Any idea why it failed? Would seem to be an ideal candidate..

Comment

SHAILON KUNGFU FAILED TO BE SELECTED

yesterday, the reporter got some news from Dengfeng, on the releasing news meeting from the office of information of the State Council, on the 26 th , April , the vice-minister of the Minister of National Culture, Zhou heping said, because the number of quota is limited, Shaolin kongfu failed to be selected as oral and un-material cultural heritage of human -beings when applying for the UNESCO.

It's said, the cycle for applying for the items is once each two years, and each time for one country only has one quota. it encourages muni-countries united to apply for, to not take up the quota. as far as now, there are 47 items have already passed,and there are three basic conditions for applying: first is the art value, the second one is if it is in imminent danger stateof affairs, the third one is if the applier has a integrated protection plan.

for the faliture of shaolin kungfu applying, Zhou heping explained, shaolin kungfu is one of important consisted parts of China's martial arts culture, and has many features, but for China, with a long history country and consisted of many minorities, has rich culture relics.According to the rule of UN, there is only one quota for each country to apply for the oral and un-materal cultural relics of human-beings each time ! for China, has so rich relics , we should be pay attention to it, to save the chance and quota.and nest step, we will have many representations to the quarters concerned .

Zhou heping said, China will carry out the rule of dividing different classes to pretect the cultural relics, and in the future, the candidate applying for the UNESCO will be seleted from national selected items. and like the shaolin kungfu cultural relics, suggest that first they can try enter the list of national selection, then applying for the UNESCO.

It's known, in 2001 and 2003, China's Kunqu Opera Art,and Guqin Art, a seven-stringed plucked instrument in some ways similar to the zither were on the list of the UNESCO as the oral and un-materal cultyral relics of human-beings separated. in the third time applying , after the experts evaluation, and after the Minister of National Culture 's research through comparing the reality and decide to recomend the MUKAMU of XINJIANG, the Uygur nationality, which as one of important parts of its history culture.and the result will be announced in November , 2005.

Comment

As the quote goes, "Beware Shaolin. It ruins all those who try to exploit it for their own purposes." This must hold true even for the Abbot.
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

I guess then that it's just aswell "shaolin" can just be found where it is anyway.

cheers for the info.

BL

Comment

How should one react when they realize that they've lost any historical funding to a zither?

Comment

I dunno, but I've got to say here that from deap throat's poorly englishly literated and grammartised yet well appreciated attempt to pass on the info, what I caught was that because of the recent PRC heritage guard association as unesco app prerequ law -change shifty, shaolin ( if they jump in on the guanxi-make-happy wagon) , may still not even have a chance to submit an application to Unesco at all for a potential 106 yrs!!!!!! ( rolleyes and here at unexpected loop hole discovery/ies and exploitation of , then lol and get back to rule re-reading ).

It seems blatant that even the fact we're all chatting here means shaolin is perpetuating itself regardless and gwialo can't indocrinate for 100+ more yrs, so freaking what right??? It( shaolin)'s already out of China and PRC duristiction, so the application is half banal anyway. Why stress ( as opposed to find the workable angle) when you can just take some peaceful practice anyway????
              Dammed unpredictable furtures and rule bender games ha! lol............ all good fun I guess............. just don't forget to continue to do what you thought it mattered to protect is MHO.............. free will is where is at !!!!!!!!

cheers

BL
              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 05-05-2005, 11:55 PM.

Comment

From what I understand, there are several different levels of this, and he's going for something else now
                practice wu de

Comment

No doubt. If anyone gets wind of any progress, I'll be happy to read it.

cheers

BL

Onesp1ng: have you ever considered trying harder???????

Comment

Apparently, Yongxin has failed yet again to achieve World Heritage Site status for Shaolin.

Here are the current sites listed for China:

* Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang (1987, 2004)
                    * Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor (1987)
                    * Mogao Caves (1987)
                    * Mount Taishan (1987)
                    * Peking Man Site at Zhoukoudian (1987)
                    * The Great Wall (1987)
                    * Mount Huangshan (1990)
                    * Huanglong Scenic and Historic Interest Area (1992)
                    * Jiuzhaigou Valley Scenic and Historic Interest Area (1992)
                    * Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area (1992)
                    * Ancient Building Complex in the Wudang Mountains (1994)
                    * Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Lhasa (1994, 2000, 2001) 7
                    * Mountain Resort and its Outlying Temples, Chengde (1994)
                    * Temple and Cemetery of Confucius and the Kong Family Mansion in Qufu (1994)
                    * Lushan National Park (1996)
                    * Mount Emei Scenic Area, including Leshan Giant Buddha Scenic Area (1996)
                    * Ancient City of Ping Yao (1997)
                    * Classical Gardens of Suzhou (1997, 2000)
                    * Old Town of Lijiang (1997)
                    * Summer Palace, an Imperial Garden in Beijing (1998)
                    * Temple of Heaven: an Imperial Sacrificial Altar in Beijing (1998)
                    * Dazu Rock Carvings (1999)
                    * Mount Wuyi (1999)
                    * Ancient Villages in Southern Anhui – Xidi and Hongcun (2000)
                    * Imperial Tombs of the Ming and Qing Dynasties (2000, 2003, 2004)
                    * Longmen Grottoes (2000)
                    * Mount Qingcheng and the Dujiangyan Irrigation System (2000)
                    * Yungang Grottoes (2001)
                    * Three Parallel Rivers of Yunnan Protected Areas (2003)
                    * Capital Cities and Tombs of the Ancient Koguryo Kingdom (2004)
                    * Historic Centre of Macao (2005)
                    * Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuaries (2006)
                    * Yin Xu (2006)
                    * Kaiping Diaolou and Villages (2007)
                    * South China Karst (2007)
                    * Fujian Tulou (2008)
                    * Mount Sanqingshan National Park (2008)
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                    russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X