Uwe- about that He Pan Zhang...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uwe- about that He Pan Zhang...

Since this is a Shaolin Forum, and we are discussing the Iron palm once again, I would like to start a little discussion on the issue, but with a twist. I would like to introduce (for the ones who are not familiar with) another method which reaches the same results, but without ruining your hands accidentally. Just like I said in my posts from way back when, calluses are not the issue.

For the technique it is the one I am using myself and teach my students, because I did get away from the Iron palm as usually propagated.

HE PAN ZHANG

If somebody practices in squeezing various things with force, it is a good method to learn to twist even the hardest things. Later, even an iron chopstick can be knotted and pressed so that it will become very thin and its length will increase as much as twice. It is only doubtful if that chopstick will be still suitable for application.
    The technique “Hand of the Golden Dragon”, sometimes called “Rubbing Palms”, is the most effective among all known methods of the pugilistic art which are anyhow connected to “rubbing” movements. Training in this technique is also aimed at strengthening outer power of the body and rearing the YANG force in it. The method of acquiring the technique “Rubbing Palms” is very and very simple. Take 30 bamboo chopsticks, best of all, square ones. Gather the sticks in one bundle and tie it up with a thin thread in several places. It is necessary to tie the sticks so that not to leave even a millimeter of space between them. The sticks must be pressed to each other so tightly that they may not move. Surely, it will be difficult for you at first to tie chopsticks so. If there is space left between them, keep inserting more sticks there until your bunch has the proper view.
    Then you have to take the chopsticks with both hands, press them between the palms and rub the bunch to roll on each of your palms. It should be done with force. The left palm must also move in respect to the right one and turn the bunch with force. When you are exhausted, take a little rest. Then squeeze the bunch of sticks again in your palms and rub it with all your strength between the palms. This exercise should be done several times each day. Over time chopsticks will be pressed in a bunch ever tighter. At last, they will be so close to each other, that even a silk thread can not be thrust through them. After two years when you make a little progress in learning HE PAN ZHANG, the outer sticks if twisted will start to break and intertwine and the inner sticks to turn over, though the bunch is tightly fixed with threads. Now you may proceed to training with metal chopsticks.

The training method with metal chopsticks does not differ from that one with bamboo sticks. After two years when metal thumb-thick sticks are thinned to a thickness of small fingers and the length of the sticks increases as much as twice or more, it will mean that you have made every effort “during 1000 days” and it will be seen by naked eye. At that moment it will become clear that you have fully mastered the skill. It is beyond any doubts now that you will be able to cope with any thing just by stretching an arm and touching it. You will be able to break something instantly, crumple any iron or stone thing. Nothing can resist you strongly, not to mention men of flesh and blood.
    A great wizard from Jiangnan, the inventor of this exercise, described it in his book. He related that when somebody acquires this method, wood will seem to him as soft as vegetables. You will be able to break a bamboo into small pieces, fray a steel rope with your fingers. The only thing you need to do is to stretch your arm and touch a gate, and the most strongest bolts will be opened. There are still a vast number of methods of application of that skill. Surely, that technique can be effectively used for repelling an enemy’s attack. They say even a steel pole can be ground off into a needle with a profound mastery in stock.

Translator's notes:
    “Twisting”, “wrenching”, “pressing” etc. in this text imply the same movement, that is: palms are put together (as in a prayer) with a thing (a bunch of chopsticks) pressed between them, palms move back and forth in respect to each other, it is the movement when one rubs palms.
    Due to superior wood quality, I am using skewers, and the number was changed from 30 to 38. With the first tie in use 35, and after the master tie is done, insert 3 more.

The description on how to tie it correctly is not provided here but rather in the 1934 Tinjan Edition of DIAN XUE. Don't ask ladies and gentleman, I am working on it, but Tiet Sin Kuen comes first.

PS: The attached image is from the above-mentioned one. Also, I personally achieve best results with doing this in Mabu.
    So what about the tying...?
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod
Working...
X