Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods to expanding fighting stamina

Methods to gain fighting stamina..

I’m looking for any suggestions | methods for radically gaining | increasing true fighting / sparring stamina – not necessarily for full contact but for hard continuous fighting against more that one opponent that are equivalent standard and greater.

Long distance running? Skipping
    Sprinting.
    Obviously lots of sparring.

I know the list can go on and on, but I just seeking some suggestions / view points from others..

I will be intersted to hear what methods you may use
    Do or do not there is no try.

bruce lee liked sustained shadow boxing a lot.

Comment

I think you might be looking for Anaerobic workouts for that, but I could be 100% off on that on, but I'm thinking you're looking for being able to go for a few minutes hard.
      practice wu de

Comment

Both Anaerobic and Aerobic methods would be great..

ive just completed a grading this weekend, and we have to perform alot of forms full power and speed, then start fighting one on one ... then 2 on one .. then 3 on one .. athough it not ment to be full contact, there is contact and some times it feel prity full and the people you have to fight are all higher grades.

its getting tough with performing forms with max force speed and still having enough stamina to continue sparring hard by the 2nd / third fight in a row.

with all the training we do in class'(s) im looking for extra ways to improve on what is quite tough training already.

Comment

Just train all day. Normally, one has to build up on this before one trains "ALL" day, but start turning everysingle thing you do into training.

And run laps while boxing at the same time for 30 minutes a day.

If your standing anywhere, stand in a stance you want to work on, if you're walking, you should be working on your footwork. Etc.

Do this in addition to slow form work and the Lee'esque shadowboxing, and remember what lee wrote about the word endurance when you box and run.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Remember the Bruce Lee running routine with the skipping-sprinting-shuffle? You might want to look into that along with all this other stuff.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Going back to chapter 1
              in bruce's little fighting method
              Basic Training

I re read this:

Stamina Exercise

Although you have the right attitude,
              it's not enough to avoid a strife.

Although you have a heart of fortitude,
              it's no assurance of saving your life.

you may have spent years in training
              in the art of fighting you love so much.

But if you are winded in a sparring,
              it proves that your condition is such.

You need plenty of workout on the road,
              Running two, Three or more miles a day
              until your body can take more load.

Then comes a day you see the light,
              You look up at the sky and they relay:

"Skill in performance is all right,
              But it's not enough to prove your might."

Maybe i might have to make running more of a friend than an enemy..
              Last edited by Void; 05-17-2005, 08:13 AM.

Comment

i feel like ive said this a million times,

have you tried an hour and a halfs worth of stance training? reverse bow, bow and arow, twist stance, horse stance, kneeling stance, combined with golden bridges, crane spreads wings etc? if not, give it a shot... if you spar you might feel the results.

i hate running too, i did too much of it in my wrestling days, too much maintenance if you ask me. but it is also a very good endurance builder, just be careful not to push yourself too hard cuz ive seen some nasy heat stroke and hyperventilation victims.

id say if you can get on a treadmill and run 1 mile nonstop at a moderate pace, you should be alright. i myself have benifited more from sparring and stance training, but that's me.

another thing,

breathing properly, deeply and long, combined with relaxation will help you maintain a smooth consistency during sparring, when i spar i tend to notice myself tense up sometimes.
                this will wear you out fast, so relax and save your energy, and oh yeah... dont hurt people.
                "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Deep breathing and static exercises will never get you ready enough for the ring or what Void has in mind. At all.

Comment

To increase stamina for sparring, the best thing is to just spar. Simple. Of course, I know you can't spar all of the time, so things like running, skipping rope, shadowboxing, etc. are good supplementary exercises.

How long are the rounds for your sparring tests? One sort of trick we do in the gym is to set the training rounds to 3 minutes with 30 seconds break. Since the actual matches are 3, 2 minute rounds with 1 minute rest, we are well prepared cardio-wise. Usually two weeks before a match we will set the times to the real times so we can gather some sense of time for the match.
                    -Jesse Pasleytm
                    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

for example one pre test lesson before the grading

my master had just the front row (me include) sprinting around a sports field while he continued with the class, by the time we got back he made me and my other instructor run round again, when we got back we was abit mashed..

He then me and my other instructor go through all our forms infront of the class

(by this time much lightness was felt in my head. grin)

then we then did some one step sparing, showing different techniques

then sparring each other,

after that we both had to fight a fresh person each, then two on one

finally 4 on one. I couldnt tell you the lenght of each fight as i was trying to breath, but they were one after the other.

its really hard to prepare for thing like this because our master will just keep putting more people up until you cant go no more. you try to hold back energy but it always runs out.

(comments like "oh you dont have any colour in your face any more" .. grin)

so now the idea is to do even more (stamina type) out of training, training to attempt to keep up with stuff he can throw at us.

Comment

you do have to do actual aerobic exercise if you want stamina, stance training won't help you much with it. but flamestep does have a good point. if you can stay relaxed, physically and mentally, in a bout, you'll be able to last much longer than you would otherwise. just keep in mind it's a useful tool, not a substitute for actual exercise.

Comment

thank you zachsan, that is what i mean.

i read once in one of bruce lee's books, he said that you gain stamina only when you push yourself past the point of exhaustion, this helped me alot in my development of stamina.

i would combine stance training with rondori, this helped me alot and i was able to keep up with some highly conditioned guys, though in judo you can stall and create rest time.

about what zachsan said, when you feel like you cannot go on much longer, that is when you apply this principle, realxing your body and mind and breathing deeply to nourish your body with oxygen, and not really thinking of fatigue, you probabaly wont even notice that you are not tired anymore.

also with consistent stance training, you will gain the ability to calm your mind and body, and also slow your heart rate down.
                          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

There are many things that fighting needs, and yes, stance training will help your fighting ability to a degree, but stance training alone will never give you the stamina to fight in the ring or, in Void's case, run sprints, take on multiple attackers, and do forms at full power.

Ever.

Comment

Stance training is fantastic way to train/strengthen muscles, tendons, stamina with in muscles, controling fine motor movements .. circulation etc etc. even training the mind to deal with feelings of discomfort so training mental endurance focus as well (now im beginning to see how it can be a form of meditation)

what im intrested in it to train endurance when your max endurance begins to fail, this zone

( To train behond peak endurance and train behond mental endurance when your mind and body trully start looking after itself.)

so you heart is pumping oxygen etc around your body, your lungs are breathing to cope with the Exertions, your being pushed and pushed then you hit you max endurance and and pass it then performance plummets ..

question: what ways|methods are there to mentaly continue to over come the mind .. with spirit? (not jack d mr zachsan )

to me there are many types of endurance .. the endurance im looking at is everything flat out
                              where you "have to" maintain focus and continue to drive on and on and on.

would things like high speed skipping / maybe with weight and keep going till legs go to jelly ? ie exercises that can simulate the affects of passing max endurance. so your mind can become used to it ?

but training to this level you have to be careful of burning out ..

at the end of the day i know the answer, just keep training harder.

(there are no short cuts just time and more effort.)

maybe different forms of lung training ..shrug..

Comment

Working...
                              X