Traditional Gong Fu Schools in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Gong Fu Schools in China

I realize there is a thread below of similar leanings but the other thread seems to be at a natural end so here is a new one . I've read alot about Gong Fu and Wushu in the last couple of weeks and traditional gong fu is what im interested in. Although there are many wushu and new style tournament schools there are no traditional schools. This is because of the way tournaments are run nowadays. Has anyone out there attended or heard about a school that teaches traditional combat oriented gong fu in China or the surrounding area? I would still like to train all day six days a week and what not just concentrating more on the combat aspect rather than the acrobatic aspect.

Thanks.

This question has been answered here a number of times. Visit the threads related to all the schools.
    practice wu de

Comment

hmmm

i see +++++++++++++10 characters

Comment

Well it's only some of these "i heard"...But i read a lot.There is this scholl mostly dedicated for foreigners ,www.shaolins.com,where i think you can work out on traditional stuff.
        A lot of people go there and seem to be satisfied,but i'm not sure of the whole thing,even if i feel that it's a good deal for foreigners(but damned expensive-for me at least-).

There is Shi Yang Zhang's school in Dengfeng(see comments and video here)where it seems to be possible to find any kind of trainingand is quite cheap.But honestly you can figure out things by yourself surfing here and there,reading comments from people who went there...

Personnally i've been very interested in Dengfeng or Zengzhou,rather than Shaolin which seems to be a tourist's scam mostly.But it's sure that it's hard to find a good trainer there who really cares of you non Chinese.But still possible,for sure.I'm looking for informations everywhere because Henan is not the only place in China they teach traditional.Don't forget that you can learn San Shou after knowing the basics,which is indeed a application for combat,and seems very interesting too.

There is another solution which apparently worked out for some too,it's to find a personal trainer for the same price,and to live in a cheap place(depending on the budget)and he will train you in person all day long.But make sure he's a real one,and you also have to build yourself a strong will to train hard without the "group" effect,which is surely stimulating.

It is very complex to make ourselves a idea before going there,look around,watch some training at least one or two days before paying etc...But for sure with some good organisation you'll find something that suits you(if you're not poor Si Ping looks really great),and it's out of the crouds.

There is another very good stuff,Muay Thai(i know...you know),and this is a awsome martial art-you want applications?You wont wait for long mate!I just want to remember that it IS a MA and not a simple buchery but makes you become fit,stretchable,efficient in real combat,and gosh!Such a pleasure to demolish this heavy bag(of course less pleasure to get bitten-but who can pretend being a fighter without getting bitten at least once?).Muay Thai will make you stronger than ever and stop most of your fears.Of course study it in Thailand to know the real one!Like for many MA,here it's just show off.

Damned i should stop here,but don't hesitate to tell me if you find some news,we're looking for the same stuff...and i read a lot here and there but still need to find out places or infos...
        see ya
        The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

Actually, this site has very little information on traditional schools in China....remember that this site deals mostly with Songshan Shaolin schools.

Your best bet would be to make a connection in Canada or America where there are a lot of traditional masters and see if any of them can get you in with a teacher in China. The traditional schools that I know of in China that are not Shaolin related don't advertise abroad and the foreign students there usually have previous experience and a major connection.

Of course, if you are interested 'combat', Muay Thai and San Shou would be good options for you and could prove to be an equally enriching experience.
          -Jesse Pasleytm
          "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

thanks guys

Thanks for the anwsers guys. I agree with you pazman their is hardly anything on Traditional Gong Fu on this site even if you use the search function. But I understand the purpose of this site so no hard feelings.

Im hoping to make some connections here, but I live in Victoria BC Canada and there really is not that many schools here. I think I will just go to China train for a bit and then look around when I actually know what I am talking about. Muay Thai seems like an interesting option although it is much more expensive as far as I can tell.

anyways thanks for the time.

Comment

hi,i don't know if i can help you so much,but i am training in shi heng jun school,and i think our training is quite traditional,we never do sanda,and when we do some combat tecnichs,it's looks traditional whith some chi na tecnichs,but i don't know really,i just can tell you that i like the training,the forms also looks traditional,may be you can have a look in the web site,i think is :www.seculardisciples.com .
              don't beleive all in the web site,because we don't train tai chi,and we don't train chi kung also,and the timetable is not correct also.

but i can tell you that the training and the temple,and also the teacher are very very good.

i hope it helps
              son of the light

Comment

The site is actually www.seculardisciple.com. The school looks appealing. Yan, how long have you been there and how long do you intend to stay? Are there many foreigners? What are your accomodations like? Since you say the timetable is incorrect on the site, what is your actual training schedule?

Thanks

Comment

well,i arrive 2 months ago,and i'm going to stay 6 more months.accomodations are quite good,we have our own room,simple,but for me are o.k,the food is also quite simple,rice,rice,sometimes noodles,some vegetables,and that's all,the toilets are chinese style,but with time you can use it without problem,there is 2 french guys,and 2 chinese,we are only 5 training,and our teacher is really good.the timetable now is,630 wake up,8-11 morning training,12 lunch,330-6 afternoon training,630 dinner,730 meditation(3days)or chinese class (2days),8-9 night training.
                  we rest,wensday afternoon,saturday half day,and sunday all the day...
                  for the moment,we don't train chi kung and tai ji(i'm sad about that but....)
                  the life in the temple is good i like it ,it have something special,sometimes spiritual,sometimes funny....
                  the surroundings,as doc said one time,are awesome.

thats it if you want more information,ask me...
                  son of the light

Comment

Working...
                  X