No announcement yet.

Greetings to all, and a few questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings to all, and a few questions!

First off, I wasn't sure exactly which forum to introduce myself in. If this shouldn't be posted here, my apologies, and please move/delete this post.

Second, I wanted to compliment Doc on this excellent website!

A bit about myself -- I have always had a love for (and been able to relate to) the arts. I find my life views to be closely aligned with those of Shaolin, and am dedicating myself to following its path. Up until now my life has been dominated by emotion and lack of discipline, thus I have been unable to focus on the Way. I also have a love for China, yet I know very little about her.

My first goal is to deeply study Buddhism and Taoism to gain a good base for my dedication to Shaolin. All the important things, such as the eightfold path, need to be the base for living. I will also study Chinese history and learn all I can about the land and her people.

From there, having trained a bit in Tae Kwon Do a few years ago, I need to regain my flexibility, stamina, and basic movements.

Once I have prepared in these things, I seek to join a school/temple such as the one you are setting up in Las Vegas. One at which I can study not just Gong Fu, but all aspects of Shaolin philosophy and life. I plan on spending my "alone" time practicing what I have learned and meditating, yet I greatly desire occasional training and inspiration from a true Shaolin Master.

My ultimate goal? I wish to become a Disciple. While I am sure that having a normal life with a wife, living in the United States and having a Career, would prevent me from becoming a graduated Shaolin Monk (also since I am 27 years old), I have the hope that I could achieve Disciple status someday.

I feel very fortunate that I have a supportive wife and also a career that allows me to freely travel around the country (and even internationally) on my days off, so I am EXTREMELY interested in your school in Las Vegas. (I live in the Detroit area). However, I would like to find a school in my area that I could train at when I am unable to be in Vegas.

As for my questions, basically they are this -- What possibility of Discipleship lies for somebody like me? Has your school in Vegas opened for training yet? How often, when the INS issues get finalized and the honored ones get their visas, will one be able to train directly under them?

And finally, what suggestions do you all have for someone dedicating themselves to living life according to the Shaolin path?

It has been my pleasure to find this place on the internet, and I look forward to many interesting conversations here with all of you as well as training with you someday!

Best Regards,

Edward

suggestion..

i have a suggestion even though i dont know jack shit..

and it is..

dont fool yourself

and what i mean by that is dont let your ego take over your whole life..

ive met so many martial artist that think they are walking buddhas because they are martial artists and because they are nice to animals or whatever..they are just lieing to themselves because when it comes down to it these people are immature and just as faulty as the rest of us(even though they dont act like it)

you gotta watch out and always understand what you are, YOUR A HUMAN BEING your not perfect, just because your a martial artist doesnt mean jack shit..just because your a buddhist or a taoist doesnt mean JACK SHIT just because you meditate and are kind to people and are compassionate to strangers doesnt mean jack shit your still just like them, your still a human and you are no better then anyone else, infact you are the same

this may sound a little "off" and jarbled but its just that these martial artist..they have such huge egos and they are so blinded by it they dont even try and see the "truth" of it all

so..just keep your head on straight, just because your a shaolin disciples doesnt mean your "right" and everyone else is wasting there time just because maybe you think you were when you were doing somethign else...its like these born again christians alot of these people think because they found jesus they are so how higher then all of the rest of us

thus the "art higher than thou" attitude most christians portray..and its the reason why alot of em are judgemental to..even though its stated throughout the bible..leave judgement to he who is the only true judge(or somethin like that lol) the point is you cant judge someone else..you dont know them just because something they do..you dont want people judgeing you because of the things you do

so basically im just saying..watch out for YOURSELF take care of NUMBER 1 dont be deceived..dont lie to yourself..and make sure you dont loose control of yourself to the point of ...dellusion...

so anyway..rant over i guess

peace
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I'm sorry...

Did I offend you in some way? If so, I apologize...

Comment

no..

no not at all i was just saying..

martial artists man you gotta becareful with these people..they are just too 2 faced and the problem is they dont even see it!

they're egos ..it just seems like its a common sympton with em..its like a curse really

all im saying is..no matter how far you get into your training or you spiritual cultivation..be careful not to lie to yourself ..or get a big head or whatever

just be you

prolly the best 1 liner advice i can give

but no..i took no offense and infact i was giving my suggestion(thought that was clear??)

i didnt mean to direct that post at any individual here infact it was targeting a group

a group which we all belong to(yep me to)

peace
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I appreciate it.

It is very good advice. Thank you, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Maestro!

Comment

Maestro has become quite the sage during his late teenage years. He has really become a bona fide russbo.com master, and his feedback has been entertaining to us all, to say the least.

I can't wait for him to get older, lol.

Anyway, nice to meet you Ed. Glad to have you join our little community. Don't worry about where you post; I do try to keep things organized so that others who visit in the future can reference various areas of the forum. We tend to accumulate a lot of information in here.

AS far as discipleship, I suggest that you read the various relevant areas of the Archive (follow button above); also, there's a lot of information in the site, such as in the Fugue section, and the FAQ section.

Our school is open in Las Vegas. Kevin is currently teaching there (I'm in Thailand, another story, see the Journals section), and we're growing student wise every week. As for the visas, the war has apparently stopped all processing. But Shi Xing Wei and Shi De Cheng are ready to come, and will get here as soon as the final processing is over. As for when, I've given up wondering. Hopefully, it should be soon. I'll make the proper notification, once it all gets straightened out.

And once they get here, we'll have seminars for people such as yourself, maybe up in the beautiful mountains of southern Utah during the summer, so that you can come out for a week or two at a time, and get some intensive training. But for now, we're just teaching the basics, and getting people ready for the monk's arrival.

Nice to have you on board,
            doc
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Well if you travel alot, take the opportunity to check out some of the other temples too - NY, Houston, international ones...

Comment

For certain!

It would be fulfilling to see how other schools and temples have come about and also how they operate. I will definately do that!

As far as Las Vegas goes (and forgive me if the info is elsewhere on the site) what can you tell me about it? When are classes held? What is the cost to join?

I have a few days off coming up, and am interested in seeing the school. Would it be possible to observe a training session, so that I may get a good introduction?

Thank you all for your responses!

Comment

You're more than welcome to come out and play with us. But remember two things; we still haven't finished with our INS ordeal, so Shi Xing Wei has not yet come to the US. We're only doing prep work now, and some basic stuff. Second, I'm in Thailand. So, in all honesty, the nightly trips to church just won't be the same.

There's more information in the ChanWuXueYuan section of the site.

I hope to have Shi Xing Wei et al, in Las Vegas, soon, by this summer.

Also, look into this summer's DocTour, info can be found on the start page of the site.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

puahahahahah

Well said Maestro.

Comment

Working...
                    X