Jiben Gong: Ma Bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jiben Gong: Ma Bu

Sharing from another board: a good link...

http://www.cbox.cz/baguaquan/mabu-en.htm

"something I don't think is addressed enough is that the horse stance is NOT a neutral fighting posture. It's a strength training posture in the beginning of a students training and later it becomes a transitional posture used to deliver power in a technique that calls for the type of power you can deliver from ma bu. Once the strike or block or throw is delivered then you should be moving on to another posture for the next technique or back to whatever your style uses as a neutral fighting posture.

hill climbing, cross/twisted, crane, low/dragon...whatever you might call your basic postures are all really transitional in nature...you don't 'fight' out of any of them but all your fighting utilizes them at specific points in the flow of the fight.

I think the CMA stylists emphasis on the static training of postures is where some of the misunderstanding about their end use comes from. beginning level is the static training to build strength, middle level is forms work to build the ability to make the transitions correctly.
    Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

I always imagined an overly horse-stance enthusiast to get into fights while in mabu. And getting kicked in the nuts. It makes me smile sometimes.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

lol

can I fight that guy? that'd be awesome.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

that is exactly correct in my eyes, i totally get what has been said. took the words right out of my mouth.

the set of stances that i do train not only your stance but the transitions of your stance,

such as twist turning to horse, horse turning to bow,etc. thanks for the link, i was looking all over for that page.
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

[QUOTE=plumflower_pm]Sharing from another board: a good link...

http://www.cbox.cz/baguaquan/mabu-en.htm

are all really transitional in nature...you don't 'fight' out of any of them but all your fighting utilizes them at specific points in the flow of the fight.

many people just dont understand this concept, well... thats the beauty of cma, you wont understand unless you actually do it. so all these people who think that they can become masters by acquiring knowledge should not forget that they must actually "practice"
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

MS,

in Pong Lai, we have a stance 'set' that we use where we hit and hold each stance, each side, then smoothly transition to the next. Different levels hold the stances for different times.

currently in class we're doing 2 minute ma bu for everyone then 1 minute in each of the remaining stances in the set (16 postures, 8 stances 2 sides)

Stance training rocks. standing meditation at it's best.

Comment

thats awesome.

i do a set consisting of 18 postures and try to hold each one for as long as i can, in the beginning i pushed myself really hard so stance training for me takes about an hour and a half. ive been slacking off on my training though, but since i train myself, i can do that, though i shouldnt

and those bruises look PAINFUL! OUCH! nice but OUCH!

Comment

that was from a day-long demonstration at our school. 8 hours of forearm abuse. I'm pretty well conditioned but have fair/thin skin, so it looked pretty bad but didn't hurt that much at all. Healed in a couple days.

Comment

haha...thats brutal

looks to me like you used your forearms to chop firewood

Comment

Working...
                  X