Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shi Xing Hong: so what is up with trying to standardize shaolin... (Ego)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi Xing Hong: so what is up with trying to standardize shaolin... (Ego)

with matching rollerball style uniforms and belts, force feeding a curriculum...?

I'm all about Mr. Miyagi when it comes to belts.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Miyagi says..... "It's on like Donkey Kong"

Comment

I have no idea what yall are talkin bout.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

What belt do you have?

"Canvas. You like? JCPenney $3.98. In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope hold up pants."
        -Mr. Miyagi (The Karate Kid)

And amen to that. I am anti-sash ranking.

Unfortunately, people are somewhat shallow and enjoy colorful belts/sashes as constant acknowledgement of thier achievements and also so that they can snub those below them and toss attitude around while wearing the justification for said behaviour around thier waist.

... until I get them in the sparring ring, that is. Nothing I hate more than a rank-snubber.

Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I have a purple belt in Tae kwon do from when I was twelve. lol

Does anyone watch Entourage? Last week the character Drama had on the karate gi with the yellow belt. He said he went as far as green but he likes to wear the yellow because it brings out his eyes. lolo

I love that show!

Comment

it is a great show mortal.

i have a amber belt. it signifies limited martial skill, but excellent hand-eye coordination whilst inebriated. oh, and of course, a black belt in rock and roll.

Comment

I have a camoflauge-black striped belt from my tkd days. No lie.

Comment

LYF really? I always see those in MA supply catalogs and think, "damn, I bet nobody buys those on account of thier obvious gayness."

Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Limited martial ability!! lolo

I like to think of myself as an eternal white belt.

In my wingchun school the ranking system is more like who could kick who's ass. Its pretty well defined actually. I like that system.

Comment

Yeah PM, really. The McDojo I went to made me buy it! It was my "next progression"...but seriously. The stripe was so gay, just to keep you there longer withough being disheartened by the lack of progress. Even as a 6 year old kid, I wondered, "What, so the stripe is like, 'you're half way to the next belt!'" Of course I didn't realize the importance of the last part until later; "You're half way to the next belt, so buy a whole other new belt!"

Effin idiots. The Dojo was called, "Barbosa's Karate" and we were learning TKD. WTF.

Comment

"I like to think of myself as an eternal white belt"

wow i thought that was my line.. did someone hit u in the head to many times mortal or did you fall down doing one of those flashy butterfly kicks? lolo(this ones yours)

ARHAT, u make a thread and look what they do to it..listen u know wong kiew kit is going to be in NYC teaching seminars in public? i just wanted to let u know cause u said all that stuff about SYM's feelings about him..im not saying anything will happen but wouldnt it be precious if SYM punched wkk in the head? cause im thinkin about crashing the party cause this is like once and a lifetime that WKK actually shows his face in america where most likely all his revenue comes from.. espcially with those books of his
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Record it and let doc post it on the site!

Comment

My children and i take kung fu, as far as rank/belts go, i think it gives children
                          a goal. Granted, as long as they earn their respective belt/stripe and it's
                          not just given to them.

As adults go it's a free for all. If you have the drive to learn (and not just sit on the couch)
                          it really does'nt matter, i'm lucky because as a student i am allowed to attend any class, be it beginner-intermediate-advanced, if you want something you'll work for it.

Comment

Barbosa's Karate
                            That name is just really funny. Sounds like a karaoke joint: Barbosa's karaoke, down the road from Anthony's Baber shop.

Or like a carnival or something....

There'll be fesh parogies and potato pancakes tonight at Babosa's fair, be there or be quare folks...

Now that's just an offer you just can't refuse. See you at the porogie stand!!!!!

Oh, BTW, I have a purple belt with white lines and black cicles, then there are some rectangles and orange flowers on the sides. My teacher said he only gives them to really special people, but I never understood quite what he meant. oh well.

g
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

So, back to Arhat...

Are you talking about the duan system, or are you referring to the shaolin compulsories...

funny, shaolin goes toward compulsories when the wushu world goes away from them...
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X