Edge to Edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge to Edge.

Man, I just saw the new Kungfu mag, with the shaolin broadsword primer.

I have to say I have a pet peeve with those flimsy ass wushu swords.

Also, another pet peeve is all the edge to edge contact btw swords.

Come on.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

They make them flimsy so they are cheaper to make and are thus able to use edge to edge contact, all to make you totally pissed, lol.

Other than that, how do you like kf mag? I'm thinking of subscribing, but am not sure if it's just filled with shit I already know or can readily find out on here.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
      They make them flimsy so they are cheaper to make and are thus able to use edge to edge contact, all to make you totally pissed, lol.
      Lol...cheap and disposable for training I can fathom. I wouldn't say totally, but it makes me wonder if they ever used live weapons.

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
      Other than that, how do you like kf mag? I'm thinking of subscribing, but am not sure if it's just filled with shit I already know or can readily find out on here.
      I think most martial arts magazines are kind of gay. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay.

Mostly they are filled with shit. Really, vapid, worthless shit. From time to time I will pick up a few to read through them, and it is always the same basic issue. One I do like is Asian Journal of Martial Arts.

Otherwise I think they are just an excuse to get some cash from little kids. Like comic books. At least with those you are getting good stories, a few nipple indications if the art is good, and with any luck cool artwork.
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

**** yeah, AJoMA is a nice magazine. AJMA compared to Kungfu Qigong magzine is much like the new england journal of medicine compared to say, the health page in Us weekly.

They even print it on real paper.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I still think that for a sort of mainstream ma rag, kung fu tai chi sort of takes the cake though... there are some less then stellar articles, but they do a good job all in all. better than ikf, black belt, etc.
          practice wu de

Comment

you know what it is, they just seem to mostly be hack articles, poorly written, just very standard crapola across the spectrum. Sure there are some good articles from time to time, I liked the stuff Gene ran with from Shahar, for example.

and they never take anyone really to task about the shit they print. Knife defense against two hatchet weilding attackers!! how to defend against Tai Lam Soon's Deer Knife attack!! Full splits in 2 months!!!

But really what set me off is the edge to edge blade hits in that shaolin broadsword primer. I figured that shit out on my own in 7th grade with my first set of samurai swords.

ah the days of the camo ninja.
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

You need-a Hattori Hanzo's-a steel...
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

u talking about the article with Shi De Shan and Sun Nuo? yea...well, i'd say it gets complicated but you already know what else i would say about it.

As a note, though, i've never seen anyone with as much quality things to say about the sheer number of different things ive seen Gene talk about. in dallas, this year, he was having conversations with ppl from just about every style you could think of, and in just about any case, most of it went over my head. interesting guy- you're bound to learn something when ur exposed to the amount of info he is exposed to.

Comment

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Dr. Yang used to tell us we were doing it all wrong when he heard one wooden taiji broadsword smack another on the edge. He would then say that we were looking for this noise "the woosh of wood sliding against wood as the blades stick and roll around each other followed by a whip of the wrist, a student going 'ow' and Dr. Yang saying, 'you got cut' "
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

that actually makes good sense...not that i have experience in this sword-wise, but it sounds kind of like the difference between simple bludgeon-fighting and the typically more complex close-quarter, touch-sensitive kind of stuff you do in internal arts.

Comment

Working...
                    X