Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing stars..

Not the hollywood variety..

Something I've always wondered.. what is the reason for seeing stars? What exactly are these 'stars'??

I've seen them a few times over the years for example after a heavy tackle in a rugby match but also once recently while I was doing some qigong which was quite strange since there was no impact or sudden movements.

they usually mean that you're going to have a stroke within the next few months and die.

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
      they usually mean that you're going to have a stroke within the next few months and die.
      So I can finally escape the taxman! Well at least I hope so.. those buggers are tenacious..

Comment

Firebolg, there are easier ways to go about it. You don't have to induce a stroke for yourself, you can get rid of this "taxman" and make it look like an accident...Come on, I'll tell you more about it in the car.
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

i think maybe it has something to do with the bloodflow to the head and eyes...?

those lil veins in your eye...
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

It's thought that the "seeing stars" phenomena arises from the random and unexpected firing of neurons in the occipital lobes (in the back of the head) after a certain type of shcok or trauma to the brain. A sudden shock to the brain, for example, from a punch, forces the brain to slosh around inside the skull (which it can, though to a very small degree), and smack into the rear of the skull, thus inadvertently stimulating the occipital neurons which control vision.

It's just a physiological effect. Almost like putting electrodes in the brains of mildly anesthetized individuals and observing their effects. (we used to do that....)
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

interesting doc. A couple years ago I fought in a lei tai match and when I went in for a leg pick I took what I thought was a glancing blow to the underside of my nose. Didn't bother me at the time but A few days later I got a nasty back of the head headache and saw stars off and on for a couple days.

Is the 'seeing stars' thing always a part of concussion or can one occur without the other?
              Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

It is not always part of a concussion, and it usually is not part of the post concussive stage. The symptom is usually experienced when the head it impacted, and the occipital lobes of the brain absorb some of the energy, either because of a direct impact to the back of the head, or, because of the so called contra coup phenomenon, whereby a frontal impact causes the brain to move inside the skull, bouncing off the posterior skull and causing energy to be absorbed in the rear occipital lobes. This energy absorption causes some of the occipital lobe neurons to fire randomly, which gives you the visual sensation of "flashes of light".

Whether it occurs with a concussion or not all depends upon one's definition of a concussion; these definitions range from a simple blow to the head with some neurological impact (which this seeing stars stuff would qualify), to, a blow to the head that has a loss of conciousness. Best to consider the concussion as a medical diagnosis; the seeing stars as a physiological effect.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I've had small problems with vision after serious ski accidents, and that would make a lot of sense. I've also had a few times that I've stood up too fast, got a head rush, and my vision was affected sort of in the same way, but not quite the same, seemed blinking a few times took care of it.
                  practice wu de

Comment

The vision being affected after standing up too quickly is more probably associated with orthostatic hypotension, ie, after standing erect quickly, the cardiovascular system doesn't respond quicly enough to keep the blood flow to the brain adequate, so, you might experience some neurological effects, such as visual disturbances.

It's normal. It gets worse as we age, as our cardiovascular capacity tends to diminish.

russbo.com

Comment

i always get a kick out of head rushes.

Comment

It gets worse as we age
                        Life sucks.. the more we learn the less time we have to make use of it! Oh well.. back to watching my neurons imploding..

Comment

Stars

hello
                          since whne are you seeing those stars
                          has it happened since your child hoods days
                          how often does it happen
                          if it doesnt happen then its ok
                          keep enjoying watching tohsestars as long as it is not a very big problem

Comment

Working...
                          X