Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help on answering some questions I have!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help on answering some questions I have!

Hi everyone, I am new to russbo and also new to Shaolin schools in China. I've been into MA's for around 5-6 years but only actually been participating in MA's for around 3 years (1 year in Shito-ryu karate and 2 years to date in Jinkok). I have wanted to visit a Kung fu/gong fu school in china since I watched a documentary on it when I was little.Please could you try and answer a few questions I have:

Which is the cheapest and good quality Shaolin school in China that you would recommend as I want to go approx October/November 2006 for 6 months to a year? I'm looking for a school where food and acommidation is paid for in the monthly cost etc.

What's the cheapest you have stayed and studied in China for?

Does the cost decrease for staying at the school decrease if you stay longer?

If you were to stay for 6 months to a year how much spending money would you recommend? I'm too bothered about traveling as I will do that on another trip.

Is China a complicated place by that I mean is it hard to find your way around,and get things sorted I mean costs etc?

Many thanks for you time Everyone

All the best

Mike.

You should do a bit of reading around the forum. There are numerous threads about several schools in the dengfeng area. 6 months to a year is usually not advised for your first trip (Doc will prob. reiterate that). I personally haven't gone to Dengfeng (yet) but I'd probably recommend that you get a little experience in some chinese martial arts before going to china for a year to train.
    practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
      You should do a bit of reading around the forum. There are numerous threads about several schools in the dengfeng area. 6 months to a year is usually not advised for your first trip (Doc will prob. reiterate that). I personally haven't gone to Dengfeng (yet) but I'd probably recommend that you get a little experience in some chinese martial arts before going to china for a year to train.
      Hi Shaolinstylee, I have studied Lau Gar and Wing Chun for a few months on each. As you know I'm studying Jinkok at the moment and that is Malaysian but also known as a Chinese art so I do have some kind of information on the Chinese arts it's just the Schools and locations in China I don't know much about,but for Martial arts as a hole I know a bit but I'm not saying I know everything as there is always more to learn.

Thanks for the reply

Mike.

Comment

Mike

I think what SS was getting at, is that the answers to your questions are scattered throughout the site. And, apologetically, I mean scattered.

You see, the site is fairly huge; with over 300 pages scattered within, two forums with many sub forums, and loads of other features that most people don't even bother to find, well, finding what you need is sometimes difficult. I've tried to organize this the best I can, over the past 8 years or so, but, it's not easy.

There is a Shaolin Schools section, oh, you're in it here, which describes some of the more foreigner oriented schools. I have more information coming; and, it changes constantly. The Shaolin FAQ, which has been faithfully reproduced withiout my consent, on other sites, has loads of information. The SITE MAP can link you there if your java menu doesn't work. The Site Map also has "suggested readings" to help guide you.

But, as I have a few minutes, here's a synopsis, real quick.

Cheapest? All of them are constantly and consistently raising their prices. But remember, you get what you pay for. De Yang's school is fairly cheap, but you won't train with him, and the acccommodations are the absolute shits. De Cheng's school is more expensive, but, with the daily rate, you can stay in a local hotel. You have a better chance of haiving water to flush your sit down toilet with that option, though, water is not always guaranteed. Read the site.

Winter time is not the time to go. The schools, and everything else, tends to shut down for Chinese New Year. December through February finds wicked cold, which makes working out outside, ridiculous. There are die hards that have done it, but, some people need to get a life.

I stay fairly cheap when I go. I "have" an apartment there, and I train for free with DeCheng. But, this is not the ordinary. Most people pay anywhere from six to twelve hundred a month. Again, you get what you pay for. And, sometimes you don't. You can negotiate the costs sometimes, the longer you're there, the cheaper it may get. Remember however, many schools will charge a "year" price, which may look attractive. Remember also, that few people actually stay the year, so, from a financial point of view, it's a win situation for the school. Staying in Dengfeng for a year is not the most fun, unless that is, you have nothing else interesting in your life, LOL.

Is China a complicated place? Well, to me it is, still, a bit, and I've been there over 15 times; cumulatively, well over a year in Shaolin. Yes, it can be a bit overwhelming at times. Not exactly the kind of place that you go and set up home for a year. If you're a westerner, you've got things that you're going to have to learn to deal with. Which is why I always recommend that people go for a few weeks with someone who's been there first.

Start foraging throughout the site. There is an awful amout of information in this site. Good luck, and let me know if you need any more help.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Hi Doc, thanks for your reply every little info helps as I'm on a learning spree rather like a sponge

I'll take a good look around the site and see what I can find

Thanks again

Mike.

P.S I think you've done a nice job of this site

Comment

You could also try the google 'site search' feature to find stuff on the nearly 25k russbo pages currently indexed there! In case you don't know how that works just type this into google..

site:russbo.com "whatever you want"

For example..

Comment

The site has its own "pre-google" search engine built into it. I installed that a year or so ago.

It's in the Java menu on the left; under SEARCH.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Ok thanks guys will do.

mike.

Comment

Just train with a monk near you. That way you could still build up your career and not have constant diahrea from the water. If I went to china it would be for the opium and massage parlors.

Comment

opium? I must have been to the wrong places.
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

You're going to the wrong places for the opium, man. Afghanistan is where the goods are now.
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
                        opium? I must have been to the wrong places.
                        LOL, Good idea about training with a Monk near me but problem is the nearest Shaolin teaching temple is in wrexham which was built by some monks from shaolin and that is about an 1hrs drive from my house.

And Idon't know anywhere else that teaches Shaolin around hear unfrotunatly

thanks once more for replies,

Mike.

P.S do any of u know any monks around the Rhyl to Conwy areaof North wales?????

Comment

It's still a lot closer then China. lol

If I were you just look for a near by wushu school. The training is VERy similar. They do the same line drills and basics.

Comment

some people jog two hours back and forth to class to be with their teachers. no, I'm not that guy, but they're out there. if you have good teachers near you, an hour is really nothing. really.
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Come to think of it I work in Long Island and my wushu school is in Brooklyn and my wingchun school is in the city. They both take an hour by car.

Comment

Working...
                              X