Mosquito bites (Allergies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito bites (Allergies)

I am allergic to mosquito and just about any other bug bites. But let me, for a second, explain the extent of my allergies, for some of you thinking, "Oh, I get kinda swollen..."

No. I am allergic in the sense that once, I got a mosquito bite on each shin. Eventually, the swelling encompassed each shin. I got a bite on my brow in kindergarten. I looked like Quasimodo. I realize these were bites when I was a kid and when I was not as strong, but I still get bad reactions like a beast. I get bit multiple times a year, but every few years it seems like, I'll get a bite or a set of bites that totally effs me up. About a year or two ago, I had a spider bite (multiple) on my left leg ankle, which became infected. The swelling reached from the top of my foot to about three inches from my knee. I had multiple puss bubbles and one was half the size of my thumb. I definately went to the doctors for that bitch and got steriods and antibiotics...

Now, I have three, count em, three bites on my right forearm. I believe I've had them since Saturday night and now they have grown and combined to form another super-bite, which now covers 1/3 of my forearm's entire surface area, and is still growing thanks to my cirrculatory system for pumping that shit through my blood.

I have Benedril ointment, but that just takes care of the itching, which isn't bothering me now/hasn't set in. I soak it in an Epsom salt solution, with hot water, which was perscribed to me by an RN.

I'm not here to show off my awesome immune system or anything, just looking for thoughts on this kind of thing, in both western and eastern medicine.

I know in TCM the bite is a site of fire, and adding fire would make it worse (I once rubbed monkey oil on my bites...BIG FRIGGIN MISTAKE), but how would one treat these things? What would one eat to help take care of the symptoms?

As for Western medicine, what were, say, the steriods for? To overcome the infection or reduce swelling? I assume they were anabolics but I could be wrong.

And as is the norm to prevent swelling, ice...wouldn't ice just prevent it for as long as it's there? More specifically, wouldn't the ice just prolong the inevitable? I am not always going to have an ice pack around, and when I'm doing things that make me warm, the effects would happen anyway...

I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow and hopefully my doc'll be able to answer some of my questions but I'd like to get as much input as possible from our more than qualified Russbo gang.

Thanks yall.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Are you sure that these reactions are to mosquito bites? Generally, we are all allergic to the proteins that the little bastards inject into us, but these reactions tend to be very localized. Anything larger than the usual little itchy bump leads one to believe that you may be being bitten by something else.

Spider bites can be atrocious, leading to all sorts of infection, and sometimes, tissue destruction. Another story.

Steroids (corticosteroid, not anabolic), are used to diminish the inflammatory response. The inflammatory response leads to vasodilation, mast cell release of histamine (which causes "itchiness" and vasodilation (swelling), release of white blood cell factors, immunoglobulin attack, etc, etc. Steroids do not fight infection, in fact, they can help infection by diminishing the body's ability to fight off the offending invaders. But when one's body goes wild, and the inflammatory response is causing issues in and of itself, then sometimes steroids are helpful.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I am pretty sure I am allergic to the histamine which mosquitoes use to numb you...also, the bites I am describing have one single bite or sting, as opposed to a spider which would have two. Similarly, I believe it's the histamine in pollen that I am allergic to during the spring or whatever.

All my observations lead me to conclude that I am allergic, and always have been, allergic to mosquito bites first and foremost. This is because of the times and manner in which I've been bitten and had similar reactions, not to mention the coinciding times I've spotted a mosquito in the house, for this particular instance, and then recieving bites while in my house, on my arm, wearing a t-shirt (and the rest of me being covered up) while I'm sleeping.

I am almost certain the worst bite to date was a multiple spider bite in which I had the infection and big ass puss bubble(s).

Comment

Ok, first of all, bad allergies are usually seen as a deficiency of the protective qi (wei qi) in tcm.

Are you allergic to bees? If not, you might consider bee sting therapy. It's a bit rough, but works wonders.

The epsom salts just help reduce the swelling, and the as doc said, the steriods are used to block the inflammatory response.

Cooling foods are simple to find. Most fruits, particularly melons, can help cool you down.

If you want to take something for the wei qi, which may also help with the itching, Yu Ping Feng San is a good long term formula to help with the wei qi xu, but expect to take it for a minimum of 3 months, and a maximum of 30-60 years. Im not kidding when i say its a long term formula, u just cant take it during a cold/flu.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I've never been stung by a bee, lucky me...or maybe not so lucky, if it'll help. I'd imagine I am allergic; by the way I get owned by just about every other insect on the planet.

Are there any specific exercises I can do to build my "wei qi"? And what am I looking for when I go out to look for "Yu Ping Feng San"? A pill? An herb? A fine smokable? Or a supposotory? But if you're gonna tell me is a supposotory, then you can forget it-- I ain't sticking something up my butt for 60 years...exit only.

Comment

that's how the masters do it, lei..... they stick things up there for 30 to 60 years, some find diamonds and other jews after the long process is finally complete. but there are many paths...of course.

g
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I don't want to be a master, in that case. What part of "exit only" did you not understand? I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but I don't make the laws, I just enforce em.

Comment

they stick things up there for 30 to 60 years, some find diamonds and other jews...
                oh boy. get ready for a lawsuit, doc.

Comment

Mosquitos

wekll thats pretty bad
                  what you can do is get a mosquito repllent
                  that will help you
                  wherever you go keep the windows closed after evening
                  and also you can apply anti mosquito cream
                  apply anti mosquito sprays also in the room

Comment

Working...
                  X