I be introducin' myself!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I be introducin' myself!!

Alright, let me gush about russbo.com for just a second: ohmigodthissiteisawesome.

Right, now that that's out of the way, HI! How's it goin'? I've been practicing martial arts for the last twenty years. In 2001, I made my first trip to China and the Shaolin Temple. I hope that my experiences will be worthy of sharing, and that I can learn about All Things Shaolin from many of you.

My first question went straight to doc, so let me share it with all of you:

I'm wondering if you will consider doing some sort of a Lineage/Family tree type page, where the names of the dozen or so monks that were supposedly at the Temple when its reconstruction began in the 70s could be listed. So much of what you've already written has helped to clarify this time period. Perhaps you have already done such a project, and I haven't found it yet?

...to which doc replied:

Other's have asked. Tough to do. These guys don't keep records. And they don't know everybody that's there with them. Getting my master's lineage wasn't that difficult, getting other's, especially since they've scattered would be impossible. As for the originals from the 70's, all are dead except two; Wan Heng is somewhere in Europe, Su Xi is dying of Parkinson's disease. You're talking about a project that would take incredible amounts of time, if it could be done at all.
    -----------------------------------------------

Well, as tough as this project may be, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one interested in this quasi family tree. Even if we were to just tackle 'the originals', that would be a starting point. Doc said my question was worthy enough for a follow-up, so keep your eyes peeled for a more in depth response on the 'Dear Doc' section of the site at some point. Thanks doc!!

- Pete 'Spidey' Kreitchet

theres power in numbers..

since "alot" of people are interested in it the best time would be to do it now

nothings impossible

goals are only what we limit ourselves to

peace
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Well, we've also tried to put together a lineage of sorts...it gets complicated too because there are buddhist masters and gong fu masters and some overlap and some don't...

Here is the english translation of the Poem written by Fu Yu from which all the monks and disciples take their generational names.

Well, I should say, it is one translation.

A Seventy-character Rhyme of Genealogy for the Orthodox Caodong Sect of the Shaolin Buddhist Temple at Mt. Song

Blessed and talented, an intelligent young man will grow into
      awareness;

you are originally in a state of completion and thus apt to understand.

All around in the universe the Buddhist doctrine spreads,

we celebrate that our principle comes from the same ancestry.

The Buddhist state is pure and quiet, vast as the sea;

in the profound silence our chastity and nativeness are enhanced.

Our moral conduct will endure forever;

and our bodies are constantly firm.

The mind is a crystal clear that can light up the depth of the mountains;

and the innate character can make one bright enough

to distinguish nobility from treachery.

Faithfulness, decency and virtuousness will bring happiness and auspiciousness;

We cautiously keep in mind our original course in the crossing.

The snowy courtyard is like a teacher,

that will guide you to return to a bright road.

The characters are in the attached generational lineage, which comes from one of the coffee table books, I forget which. It's a pretty cool book, the only thing I don't like about it is they didn't just film the monks as they were, they broke out all new robes and stuff, and in some shots you can see the folds and creases.

Back in the day I have been told they never even had robes- couldn't really wear them for fear of persecution. There's a touching story I was told of when they first got to wear them again without fear, how some of the monks got all teary eyed...
      Attached Files
      "Arhat, I am your father..."
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Working...
      X