Five Animals Eight Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Animals Eight Methods

Does anyone know this form? If so can you tell me about it and how close is it to hung gar?
    Thanks

We have a video of it, and a thread, in the Elite Members section. it's a great form, have not learned it yet, but I intend to .
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

It's in the Elite section now. Along with a whole bunch of other videos, that are "on the way". Got about forty or fifty more, in process.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Great glad to here that.
        Thanks for making my mouth water. Would really like to see it or know about it. Origins, history. Can we access this video and thread. Can it be brought to this section.

Thank you for the info.

Comment

Don't do anything yet. We have a lot to add to this section. Didn't want to get into a subscription based anything, but, bandwith and server costs have been "significant" over the years. And we do spend a lot of money on a regular basis just getting access to this video stuff. Quite frankly, economically, I have trouble doing it by myself now.

russbo.com

Comment

cool, thanks for the helpful info.

Comment

Hey. It's TWO lap dances.

Considering all the time and effort that goes into all of this, from many people's perspectives, not much, when you look at it THAT way.

russbo.com

Comment

this form is weird

Most forms presented by different masters look the same, with only marginal differences. But with this form its like every master has its own version. The only similarity seems to be in the beginning of the form, the first third of it. The rest from what iv'e seen so far by shi de cheng, shi de yang, the one I learned, and various versions in documentaries look completely different from eachother. They are all Wu xing ba fa, or Wu Xing Quan, from shaolin and still so different. Ive also seen a longer version on vcd that has most of the techniques presented in the different versions, but each version has different techniques from that longer form. And of course some of the techniques are not in that longer form either.
                Even my master told me that his gongfu brother did it differently even though they learned it from the same source.

Whats up with that? comments anyone?

peace.

Comment

"Even my master told me that his gongfu brother did it differently even though they learned it from the same source."

It a sign of a good teacher. Not everyone is exactly the same. So a good teacher will teach a form to fit an individual's strengths and weaknesses. So a form may have similarities but the exact movements might be different...i'll have more on this later
                  "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Originally posted by tetsumaru
                    "Even my master told me that his gongfu brother did it differently even though they learned it from the same source."

It a sign of a good teacher. Not everyone is exactly the same. So a good teacher will teach a form to fit an individual's strengths and weaknesses. So a form may have similarities but the exact movements might be different...i'll have more on this later
                    The suspence is killing me

Comment

i dont know why techniques would be missing from the same form, but masters or whatever people always do forms differently, as long as the energy is there it doesnt matter, but missing techniques etc is wierd for the 'same' form
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

missing techniques? I meant there's are focus on movements that enhance the practioner's gong fu. More emphasis on movements that hold techniques that are more effective for that person. Big people fat people sknny people short people round people square people slow people fast people strong people weak people
                        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Yeah I know all that, but the thing is its in particular the wuxing ba fa that has these huge differences between masters, and its not like theres "missing techniques" as much as theres different ways of performing it. Other forms like the hong quans and luohan quans are all pretty similar between masters, the differences are minor only if at all they exist. I'd just like to know how come this particular form is so different.
                          My own theory is that the main point of this form is to present the five animals in a live way, depicting and presenting their attributes. My master told me that this form is a basic form, like an introduction to the animal styles, and maybe the particular techniques involved is not as important as presenting the animals correctly. As long as the the five animals and eight methods are in there, the techniques involved doesnt matter. Just my theory.

Comment

Jopol, it all depends upon whom your master learned it from. I've seen some of these guys completely adulterate some of the more traditional Shaolin forms, such as the Hong forms and especially the Lohan forms, all in the sake of increasing speed and power, so that they "look nice" in today's world of ever increasing competitiveness in martial arts. You'll find these changes more prevalent with the younger generations, and less so with the older ones.

russbo.com

Comment

I think.. if everyone did things the same.. there'd be no variety. In my style, I am encouraged to use my bodies natural advantages. My way of fighting should bare resemblence to that of my teachers, but I should also have my own.. not to mention personal preference, my teacher loves fighting from cat stance... for me right now the cat stance doesn't satisfy me becuase i've been taught a lot and I want to practice how effective I can use it in a fight.

Poekoelan is refered to as a broken mirror system, a broken mirror has an individual angle on the same object that it is reflecting.

Comment

Working...
                              X