Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• title Churches Celebrate Darwin's Birthday

Published: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:00:26 GMT

The churches say Darwin's theory of biological evolution is compatible with faith and that Christians have no need to choose between religion and science.
    Read More...

It's great religious people are actually publicizing the fact that the two theories don't need to be at odds. It feels like progress might actually be made in terms of where the argument is headed, lol.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

So in other words if the church rejects it you think they are being old fashioned. if they except it they just want peoples money. From where your standing it is a lose lose situation for the church.

Comment

I think it's a great thing, provided Christians understand that this means the world wasn't created in 7 days and thus everything in the Bible is not literally true. Which I think most Christians these days do, but I could be fooling myself.

Comment

"in the beginning, god created primordial soup, and it was good"

christianity and science are both in many ways nonsensical and contradictive. its a lose lose situation for us, if anyone.
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

What are you talking about?

Comment

Modern biological science doesn't prove that God didn't create the Earth, but rather says that if he did, he did it over billions of years using natural processes, and not in 6 days by saying "let there be such and such". Hence, it doesn't (and can't) disprove the existence of a God, but it does contradict certain beliefs that are attached to that core belief; for instance, the belief that every word in the Bible is literally true, and thus the world was created in 6 days, a few thousand years ago.

So again, only Christians who believe the Bible is literally true are contradicting their beliefs when they agree with Darwin. But it's a big religion, and not all of its denominations share that belief.

Comment

As I understand it, some parts of the Bible can be taken literally and still be relatively serious and whatnot. However, Bible-thumpers take that for granted when they try to take everything else literally.

But it doesn't matter how seriously you take the words of the Bible or any text for that matter-- because you have to interpret it for yourself. Things that I am saying right now for instance aren't the same for any two people.
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                X