so what should I learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so what should I learn?

I'm probably leavning for China in less than a year and I guess I must prepare myself to the training I'll get there. In the moment I don't have any teacher. I've trained a bit in Wing Chun. So what should I practice before getting there? Here are what I'm already doing:

Improving my cardio with exercises like Shadow Boxing (Western/English way of boxing), jumping rope, jogging, walking

Learning a bit of Shaolin Gong Fu by myself, I learned and practice Wu Bu Quan, would you recommend any other form? Should I start getting a bit of the movements of Xiao Hong Quan or should I wait till I get a master?

Practicing Qi Gong, I know Ba Duan Jin exercises and a few others like 5 yin organs daoist qigong. Do you think I should do anything else as Qi Gong training?

I became daily sitting meditation.

Because of a back and knee injury I still cannot work on stretching exercises.

Improving my strength and endurance with Weight and Bodyweight training 3 times a week.

I still practice a bit the two first forms of Wing Chun.

I believe Hard Qi Gong or Iron training is not for now so I won't start hitting myself for now.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot
    =========
    Peace out!

There's no schools around your area?
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin_Disciple_8

uh well i would first get your back and knee healed up and start working on your stretching...kind of important to be flexible if you are training in a chinese martial art...Do some Yoga...If you have Bikram near you do that kind becuase its good for your back and knees...Yoga if practiced everyday can be very healing...I do it whenever I get an injury of minor proportions...Keeps you focused and doing something while you are waiting to heal and waiting to start back up with your training...When I say do yoga dont go buy a ****ing book and practice the poses go to s few classes somewhere copy down the poses and then do it at home to save some cash...for china...if you actually go...

If you are actually going to go to china and you are being honest with yourself and doing ALL of those things you mentioned then you should be in good shape to START.
      "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

I would agree and add lots of jogging. lots of jogging. and more jogging. Plus mabu...for long periods of time. Learn some taiji for it will definitely help develop your leg stregth and at the same time increase your flexability..
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I'm probably leavning for China in less than a year and I guess I must prepare myself to the training I'll get there. In the moment I don't have any teacher. I've trained a bit in Wing Chun. So what should I practice before getting there? Here are what I'm already doing:

Improving my cardio with exercises like Shadow Boxing (Western/English way of boxing), jumping rope, jogging, walking

Learning a bit of Shaolin Gong Fu by myself, I learned and practice Wu Bu Quan, would you recommend any other form? Should I start getting a bit of the movements of Xiao Hong Quan or should I wait till I get a master?

Practicing Qi Gong, I know Ba Duan Jin exercises and a few others like 5 yin organs daoist qigong. Do you think I should do anything else as Qi Gong training?

I became daily sitting meditation.

Improving my strength and endurance with Weight and Bodyweight training 3 times a week.

I still practice a bit the two first forms of Wing Chun.

I believe Hard Qi Gong or Iron training is not for now so I won't start hitting myself for now.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot

seems to me like shaolin is not wise to take as your next step, but by all means go, im just saying that, if you have prior injuries, and doubts about your ability, you should not go to shaolin, why? !. its too expensive, 2. you could get the same benefit from learning another ma, preferably closer to your house, 3 shaolin is imo at the yop levels of performance, if you dont have what it takes, yo wont survive the filtering process. in other words, if you ; have never been to bootcamp, had extensive training in any sports of any kind, or are a beginner, i dont recommend shaolin, and little wing chun isnt gonna do you any good. these arts take alot of flexibility, and if you cant do something as simple as stretching, i dont recommend that you go to shaolin yet, save that for when you have mastered your self, imo, thats the oonly way you can get the most out of spiritual journeys to shaolin.
          just being honest.
          Last edited by master splinter; 02-23-2006, 12:34 AM.
          "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Yeah but don't worry, except those two injuries (that will be healed by the time I go) I'm in good shape. I don't have much experience in Shaolin type of martial arts but I've done many other sports so it's almost only a matter of learning the forms, blocks, strikes, etc. and practicing a lot. Anyway, I know what I'm doing but thanks for the advice!

Oh and why do you recommend so much running? Only for cardio? Can I use different exercise for this purpose or really running has something special?
            =========
            Peace out!

Comment

Oh and why do you recommend so much running? Only for cardio? Can I use different exercise for this purpose or really running has something special?
              From what i have heard and seen, there is a lot of running involved. A LOT! When I trained with one of the monks here in the US we did at least a 4 mile run every other day. Well there is nothing that can really replace running as part of your training, imo. It's one of the best ways to train "cardio" or your endurance...and its easy. However, if you have a knee and back injury this much running can only cause more pain to the injuries. GL^^

Comment

Well, honestly, it's an interesting question you pose. I mean, being in "good shape" and learning gongfu go hand in hand, yet, that doesn't mean it's just a matter of going through the motions with a lot of repetition.

Sometimes people are able to out leg press a horse but die after a minute of mabu. Then again, a person of great physical stature might look great but can't do a hundred arm swings, when being loose is so important. Anyhow, if that's what you want, then go for it. There's much more to be learned in shaolin besides MA and I think people should open their doors to these kinds of new experiences more often. I was just thinking that it would be a good intoduction to find a school nearby so that you could get working on the basics and build on the things you'll need later.

As for running, it helps build and support good leg strength, plus the obvious, and you need a ton of leg stregth. You might also start kicking a lot. Do various kicks: cresents, sides, axe, heel... etc.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

flexibility
                  overall conditioning
                  basics
                  basics
                  and more basics.
                  practice wu de

Comment

Hey but when you say learn some taiji, is Yang style ok? Is Chen style (I believe that's what shaolin monks practice) a lot different from Yang style?
                    =========
                    Peace out!

Comment

yeah yang and chen are different but taiji is still taiji (unless its tai chi). Some ppl say Chen is more combat oriented than Yang. Chen has more fa jing in it from what I know, which can be fun. Yang is the more popular here in the US, so its easy to find a yang teacher (whether its a good one or not depends).

Personally I'd like Chen over Yang but as I said Taiji is Taiji.

Comment

practice and see if it's ok for you, if it suites you....

chen does have more noticible fa jing in the form, but fa jing is an ability you should be continuosly developing and regardless of the skill you're practicing(or style of taiji), fa jing is something want to know how to do. so whether it's peng, lu, ji, or an..etc...it can be integrated in, it's just that yangshi taiji isn't performed that way. a teacher should be able to fa jing in every position...regardless of the skill they are performing, so as to integrate the technique into all their movements.
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                        X