Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jeet Kune Do consider a Chinese Martial Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jeet Kune Do consider a Chinese Martial Art?

Is Jeet Kune Do consider a Chinese Martial Art or is it consider a mixed martial art

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

JKD is a philosophy/method, not really a system of martial arts.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Well, after reading Tao of JKD, it struck me that Mr. Lee was essentially laying down the foundations of his own MA (with stances, core strategies and everything), but hesitating to call it a martial art for whatever reason. So screw what he thinks, the distinction is up to you. One thing it definitely is not, however, is a Chinese martial art, because it originates in the U.S., and combines techniques from all sorts of non-Chinese styles, like Kali and Western fencing. It just happened to be invented by a Chinese guy, and was loosely based on Wing Chun.

Mixed martial art would be accurate (if you want to call it an MA in the first place) and it's taught in those circles often.

Comment

Ah, you're right. However, in terms of JKD being established well enough for people to teach it...well...that's another story. Like if you go to one guy who advertises he teaches JKD, you're likely to get completely different skills than someone else who teaches JKD. This is where it becomes a philosophy and shit. I've never read The Tao of JKD, but I have read Bruce Lee's other books, like, Bruce Lee's Fighting Method. It suggests that JKD is a style in itself with the allusions to the style. Sorry, my mistake.

Hey wtf is up with this Tyler mofo? Where's the drunken old man?
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Haha, this guy (Jeff Buckley) is my original avatar. I felt nostalgic and went back. I was never much of one for animated GIF's anyway.

Anyway, it's an interesting question, because the divergence in styles within the style you talk about is pretty common in any non-traditional MA (see: American Kenpo, kickboxing, any MMA). It's enough to make you wonder whether any of those styles, not only JKD, are really worthy to be called "styles" the way traditional MA's like Hung Gar or Wing Chun are.

Comment

Working...
          X