The Shaolin Workout by Shi Yan Ming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shaolin Workout by Shi Yan Ming

Anyone got hold of a copy of his book yet?

Besides the Jane Fonda title, is it any good?

I took a look at it last month. nice presentation, full color, hard cover, good photos, etc. the write up is decent for instructions but there's nothing too complicated to explain. Essentially it's a basic warmup routine with some bacis stance exercises. the thing some may find appealing is the way each excercise is introduced step by step as part of developing your own routine. I'd imagine some newbies would appreciate the structure, experienced practioners should have their own which is probably comparable to yan ming offers - especially if you've taken shaolin classes before.

Comment

I liked the book. Its very basic, the first warmup, but it is in engilsh. My monk doesn't speak english. More books are coming.
      There is a small section on the Chan philosophy at the end of each chapter. Pretty good.

Comment

The Doc Workout.

Have you seen the new Doc Workout Book??? Look here...
        Attached Files
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Yan Ming will discover, that the problem with writing a book, is that you basically tell the world what you know....

And why the hell are you showing the world my new upcoming (and previously secret) book?
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Regardless of that, it's sucess is subjective. I can't go out and read all the Donald Trump books and expect myself to become disgustingly rich, marry a supermodel, and lose most of my hair.

Similarly, I can't buy Carmen Electra's workout videos, "Striptease" and expect to be able to striptease myself to double d's that I can fondle. Although I would be content fondling something else of mine.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

well the more resources that you have to fondl... i mean workout with, the better right?
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Talking about fondling, we're working on a new section in the site.

Stay tuned...
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

oh boy! (rubs hands together excitedly)
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

oh boy (rubs himself excitedly)

please tell me it has to do with the female side of kung fu and wushu
                    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

To be honest I expected a bit more out of the book... I mean the way he was hyping it when he was writing it and editing it I expected the most in depth knowledge of Shaolin possible...

I suppose it is ok in terms of showing basic warmups and a few basic movements.... It is a majority of anything you will end up doing at USAST anyways... so in that respects it good... Pictures are nice too... I am even in a few woo hoo.....

My take on it was so-so... nothing to write home about and worth checking out maybe... I did get my copy for free though which was cool... Yan Ming even signed it...

Though I probably have a bad taste in my mouth with the whole thing because one of the reasons I was kicked out of USAST recently was I did not attend the book signing... Ok I've said too much....

Comment

As I've said before, the problem with writing a book, (or even a website, LOL), is that you expose yourself to the world.

What you know, what you don't know.....

russbo.com

Comment

Well my copy arrived and I have flicked through it, but not yet started 'the workout'.

It does seem fairly basic (very basic at the start) although there may be a few things I haven't done or at least not done in quite the same way. It does have lots of description and all the chinese words for each move which is handy coz I never learned those before. Presumably anyone who has trained at a 'real' shaolin school will no doubt know it all but I suppose it's useful to have it all down in print along with photos for future reference or for a 'yan ming perspective'.

Its all very upbeat with lots of positive reinforcement going on ("Outstanding!") which is funny but kind of nice - I'm easily pleased..

Its jam packed with full colour photos but I noticed his shoes which say on one side "train harder" and on the other side "more chi". lol

Many photos are of yan ming just posing in monk gear - he really does look the part and he knows it and plays it up big time.. does he have a manager or 'image consultant' or does he just have a natural flair for theatrics?

The start of the book has lots of background info about yan ming (including various celebs saying how he's just such a great guy/warrior) and the temple history.. these days its hard to know how reliable such info is though but it paints a nice picture at least.. grasshopper would feel right at home. Maybe there's a "Yan Ming: The Movie" coming soon? (hopefully by tarrantino and featuring uma thurman as a hot disciple)

Overall it seems like a decent book, its quite well written with lots of description for each move. The layout is clear and easy to follow. The motivational talk is perhaps a little over the top but I dont suppose thats a problem really and it does suit the aim of the book as a workout guide. There's plenty of buddhism references spread throughout for those that are into that kind of thing. There's lots of emphasis on the shaolin training being for the mind as well as the body.

No doubt it will also serve as a great ad for his school/temple but also for shaolin in general which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

No doubt it will also serve as a great ad for his school/temple but also for shaolin in general which is not necessarily a bad thing.
                            Excellent point.

Guess it all depends upon whether he's demonstrating real Ji Ben Gong from traditional Shaolin, or, the wushu stuff that he has learned.

But, then again, after looking at what Yongxin has been doing, none of this matters anymore.

russbo.com

Comment

Shi Yan Ming is a defector from a Kung Fu Monks tour and is raising money to build his own Shaolin temple in New York state.

Comment

Working...
                              X