Any advice on starting at school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on starting at school?

I recently moved to Indiana a few years ago and its easy to say I'm having quite the withdrawl of kung fu. There is no kung fu within hours of driving and beleive it or not that is hardly any of the franchises in the shoping malls as well. There is just nothing! Ive studied various martial arts but shaolin kung fu is my passion. Not just the art but the philosophy as well. Ive decided to eventually start my own school to share my knowledge while I continue to travel back home and train under my sifu throughout the oncoming years. Of course this isnt going to happen in the immediate future however I was wondering what you guys like and dislike about martial arts schools. I trained for quite sometime at a place that it was all business and very little kung fu. I was training to become an instructor there, however since I moved that never happened. Obviously, starting your own school is a business however it should be about sharing the art and knowledge not on making a few extra bucks...
    so if you have any advice. likes, dislikes please let me know it would be greatly appreciated
    AMITUOFO

My advice... DON'T DO IT. Just be a student and enjoy it. The other side of it is not pretty.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

can you please elaborate?

Comment

You have not read the past posts on here. Look about a year or so back.
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Well, consider this.

If you're doing it for the love of the art, you won't run it like a business, and you won't make money and survive.

If you do it primarily as a business, you might survive, though it will be difficult to say the least, and you won't enjoy the art anymore.

It's a difficult premise. I understand how you feel; I did a similar thing years ago, bringing a "monk" over from China, and it ended up being a nightmare that really hurt all involved. I've yet to write about this, but I will. You might want to look in the Shaolin Chan Wu Xue Yuan section of this forum, to get a better idea as to what I'm talking about.

Face it, martial arts schools don't make money unless they operate as McDojo's. Big chain type things that do the belt treadmill make money for the higher ups, and not for the little guys that actually run the schools. Occasionally, a few of the little guys might do well. But overall, the cost of doing business becomes obtrusive, and it really impacts what you're doing, to the point of maybe even destroying your love for what you started out to do. It happened to me.

I always suggest to people who want a career in the martial arts, "because they love it", to not do it as a career. Get a real job, that makes real money, that gives you the time to practice what you love as a hobby and pastime. Remember, jobs become jobs.

One thing that you might consider, in your situation, is to start a "club". Don't make it a business, try to make it into a self sufficient vehicle whereby you get a few people together to do what you all enjoy doing. Opening an official school, with the usual necessary marketing, and usual drop out rate (few remain after a year or less, the turnover for students is high, thus necessitating a huge effort to entice new ones) becomes tedious.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

thank you for your advice....oh and I will check out that other thread thank you

Comment

too hard

hi
              I usually keep to practce gongfu in my life.it is too hard for me to insist.perhaps my will not too strong.

Comment

Working...
              X