The Shaolin Tradition - the current state of new disciples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shaolin Tradition - the current state of new disciples

Hey guys, I'm pretty much a newbie here who hails from Montreal, and I study Wing Chun, and I'm also a lover and performer of chinese culture. I've been lurking around the forums and looking at the videos and unique info this site has to offer, and I think it's pretty cool.

So, basically I've been wondering about the current state of the Shaolin temple's traditions - from what I understand, many of the real monks have long since departed from the temple and a large number have since disappeared, and now this whole controversy with Yongxin, the despot abbot, is pretty much turning the temple into one giant circus. Am I getting the facts straight? If not, please let me know.

Anyway, as my understanding is that the monks in the "temple" study nothing but demonstration wushu, what about the teachings by the monks outside the temple (i.e., Heng Jun (though I could be wrong), De Cheng , De Yang, Yan Ming etc.)? Are they preserving/transmitting the traditional applications and forms as well or are they just following the "modern wushu" bandwagon?

Also, are they creating new monk disciples? I just read an article here: http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2004/.../23860069.html
    and it says here that Shi Xing Wei was a disciple of Shi De Cheng, and it seems he's even taken the oaths of sobriety and singlehood. Does that mean there is still hope for Shaolin afterall?

Thanks for your time. Hope to hear from you guys.

-Liu Bei

vegas seems without hope.

keep reading.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

What? About the "doesn't teach fighting" part? Well, as long as he keeps a the students in the right spirit and transmits the tradition, I think that's okay.

That is, unless he only teaches the modern wushu stuff, which is why he "doesn't teach fighting"...

Comment

Originally posted by Liu Bei
        What? About the "doesn't teach fighting" part? Well, as long as he keeps a the students in the right spirit and transmits the tradition, I think that's okay.

That is, unless he only teaches the modern wushu stuff, which is why he "doesn't teach fighting"...
        Read here..

Think the 'oath of singlehood' kind of went out the window to say the least.

Comment

As did just about all the basic tenets of Buddhism.

Oh, that's another story....
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

... Holy crap... sorry to hear about that guys - I'm kind of sad too. When I saw one of the videos you posted up of Xingwei in the blue robe, doing his forms and stuff, I thought he was pretty cool. Guess there is more underneath the bald head and prayer beads than meets the eye...

Sorry for bringing this up again - didn't realize this was such a sore spot.

So besides Xingwei... no other hope?

-Liu Bei

Comment

Working...
            X