More Shaolin Grandmaster Self Worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Shaolin Grandmaster Self Worship

I'd put this thread into the Media and Martial Arts section, but, it seems like it's more appropriate here, in the Politics section.

Steven DeMasco, our most favorite and most beloved Shaolin Grandmaster, Ambassador to the US, and overall good guy, has written, or, has had ghost written, a new book. It's not clear who wrote it, as there are two authors listed. Just saw it in the Thai bookstore yesterday.

And it's a winner.

"The Shaolin Way: 10 Modern Secrets of Survival from a Shaolin Kung Fu Grandmaster ". Well, it's from a Shaolin Grandmaster, so it must be good.

Here's what the cover said:

The Shaolin monks of ancient China were simple farmers and practitioners of Buddhism who learned to protect themselves from the constant danger of bandits and overlords with a kind of "meditation in motion" -- a nonlethal form of self-defense that didn't violate their vows of peace. Their legend grew, and they became known as the Shaolin Fighting Monks, revered across the land for their spiritual dedication, enlightened message, and amazing fighting skills.

Born in the projects of Spanish Harlem to a disabled mother and an abusive father, Steve DeMasco spent most of his early life lost and angry -- until he found himself on the steps of the Shaolin Temple. Once there, he discovered an ancient philosophy that helped melt away his preconceived notions of the world, giving him a powerful platform on which to live and grow. In The Shaolin Way, he adapts these teachings for the modern world, singling out ten secrets of survival that can help anyone live a more fulfilled life.
    Wow.

The description of the author, is as follows:

Steve DeMasco is a tenth-degree black belt in Shaolin kung fu who has dedicated his life to helping prisoners, teenagers, abused women, and many others who have lost their way. He currently lectures around the world on behavior modification and reducing school violence. He lives in New Hampshire with his wife and three sons.
    OK, so self-aggrandizement is not one of his better qualities. I just had to take a gander.

Having perused this book, mind you, in absolute secrecy in the back, so that I would not be noticed, and, god forbid, my battered and lilliputian reputation be tainted, I can forthrightly suggest as per my opinion, that you find the following book suggestion, to not only be better written, but be more educational, relevant, readable, and useful. Well, at least it's what I think:

Poor Dick and Sally. It's cold and wet and they're stuck in the house with nothing to do . . . until a giant cat in a hat shows up, transforming the dull day into a madcap adventure and almost wrecking the place in the process! Written by Dr. Seuss in 1957 in response to the concern that "pallid primers [with] abnormally courteous, unnaturally clean boys and girls' were leading to growing illiteracy among children, The Cat in the Hat (the first Random House Beginner Book) changed the way our children learn how to read.
    Growing illiteracy. What a problem.

But, then again, "Green Eggs and Ham" was pretty good too. Well, it's a tough call folks.

You decide.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

i didnt know shaolin had tenth degree blackbelts, or a belt system for that matter.

this has to be a crap.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Now you've gone and dissed a shaolin grandmaster! lol

Comment

"they" have belts now, because DeMasco and Mattera actually test their blacks at Shaolin, so it can look like the monks endorse them.

DeMasco's books are full of shit. In his other book he is pretty clueless. One of his claims was he sparred with the top monks who recognized his skills. When you look at the pic it is really just unbelievable.

Let's not forget the secret book they had translated.

And this bit about behaviour modification I think is quite ironic considering.
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Hi I actually read one of his books, not the book in question, and he doesn't seem to be truly Shaolin. He's a folk master who recently has studied shaolin. Most of his training has been in the states with "folk" masters. Within the last few years he has travelled to Shaolin and studies from the monks in New York. Tenth degree Shaolin? I was very eager to get his previous book, I can't seem to find it. The art descended from Shaolin as much of the chinese stuff does, but I was really disappointed when he wasn't truly shaolin.
          He helps alot of people, and devotes alot to that, and is honored by the abbot for his contribution to the "folk" arts, but has only recently studied true shaolin.
          I know this is controversial, but I just wanted to shed some light on it, having ordered the book, not the book in question, directly from him.
          Not to disparage the guy, he does alot of good, but I was really disappointed when he used the Shaolin name to further his book sales.

Comment

Forrest, I guess his exposure to "true Shaolin" depends upon which "monk" he's been spending time with. There are guys in NY who have actually spent time training with older masters in the temple; there are guys there who have spent their training lives with wushu teams and who have had no and very limited experience with the temple, who claim to be monks. So, quite comically, you might have a classic case of the "blind leading the blind" here.

What I find as sad, is that you have individuals making books and videos, purporting them to be true genuine Shaolin stuff, when in reality, it's Japanese Kenpo, or some other stuff that vaguely, remotely, or, "not at all" represents the training system taught at Shaolin. And, the world believes them...
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Seems to me most of the ones that call themselves masters... even the "monks".... are not the ones best suited to be in charge...

Having had a recent HORRIBLE experience with my previous teacher.... that damn near cost my life... I can say something that pertains to this discussion...

It is amazing how fame can change people....

Comment

Well, two things.

Fame does change people, and, usually, for the worst. Look at Hollywood (I've known some people from there; you wouldn't believe what assholes they are).

Second, people that go out of their way to extoll their own virtues, generally don't have those virtues to extoll.

OK, enough from me. I'm sick. You guys take over.

russbo.com

Comment

I hear ya doc... I could probably right a book on the matter now... but not sure thats all that appropriate here....

Comment

Working...
                  X