Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russbo crew - your advice please :-)

Hi Russbo crew

I'm new around here - congrats on the site it is great!

However it is so huge I'm having a few difficulties navigating around it (under the hawk like gaze of my boss during company time ;-) )so I thought I'd rudely ask you guys some questions directly if that's okay....

1st off allow me to introduce myself; I'm a 27 year old bloke from CambridgeEngland.

I train Kempo Ju-Jitsu & Kickboxing in my spare time (about 9 hours a week) and eat as much hot Thai food as possible :-)

As I nudge towards the age of thirty disgracefully I figure it's time to get out of England for a few years and see more of the world.

My intention is to travel to China & train kung-fu for at least one year & I’m trying to figure out the feasibility of doing so.

Unfortunately my job as office monkey doesn’t pay enough to save a great deal for this trip so I’m looking for a way to partly pay for my training by teaching English as a foreign language

I’ve been investigating a few schools via the internet and seen what looks like a few options – what I’m looking for is school recommendations & any info about teaching EFL to support it.

Any responses greatly appreciated

GZA

all those different fonts!

hahaha

apologies for any headaches caused while reading that post!

Comment

No problem. I get headaches all the time. Usually they're caused by the LBFM's in my life. Nice to have one caused by an English bloke, lol.

What kind of schools have you been searching for? Are you looking to find a gong fu school that will hire you to teach English while you train? That might be a little tough....
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Hi Doc

I’m not necessarily looking to teach at the school itself, I’m Just interested to see if anyone has done similar and supported themselves teaching in the locale of the school

It’s the feasibility of doing this whilst training so hard!

I’ve had a look at 3 different schools online

Songshan Shaolin Temple Xiao Long Kung Fu Training centre

HongXiangWushuSchool

& the northern china one (although I’ve heard bad reports about this school)

Do you have any recommendations?

Also can you point me in the direction of any student blog’s or reviews of their time studying?

Many thanks for the advice – much appreciated

Comment

I came across this blog recently..

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

and an older one..

Comment

thanks for that

Comment

The blog concerning "fitdoctor" is a good one. What he fails to mention is that I set up that trip for him. Lost touch with him after he returned to the US; kind of thought for a while that he had had such a miserable time, that he didn't want to talk to me again, lol. It appears from his blog that he had at least, an interesting experience. He's registered in this forum, if I remember, as Fitdoc (http://www.russbo.org/vb/member.php?u=3931). You might be able to get a hold of him through this forum.

What's also interesting, is that the guy "Matthew" that he refers to, last summer came to Thailand to train here, initially with me. Again, he's a member of this forum, can't remember his screen name, and I got him started here in Thailand. I also set up his trip to train with Decheng at the same time Fitdoc was there. I was supposed to go with him, but if I remember correctly, I had to deal with visa issues in Bangkok for my then Thai girlfriend (who, later, after reaching America, dumped me and disappeared). I had my friends meet and take care of Matthew, in lieu of my being there. I arranged for Decheng to take good care of him. From what he told me, he had a moderately good time, eventually prefering to be back in Thailand.

As for teaching in China, I'm not aware of any places or opportunities for people such as yourself, to teach and train at the same facility. I might be able to set up such a thing with Decheng at his school, but I'd have to talk to him. Not sure if he's interested in that sort of thing, and I'm also not sure if it would be a successful venture for you, teaching wise, as you probably know no Mandarin. The kids at these schools are at a second grade level, and when they leave, for the most part, they're still at a second grade level. Education, other than gong fu, is seriously lacking.

There are teaching opportunities in nearby Zengzhou, which is over an hour from Shaolin. There are training centers there, but I can't help you with those.

The school in the north, if you read about it in the Shaolin Gong Fu Schools section of this forum, is not recommended. It's the same wushu shit being taught elsewhere, and it's far up north. Not a happy place to be for the upcoming winter. Besides, why go there and train with coaches when you can be near Shaolin and train with what few real masters are left.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Working...
              X