Shi Yong Xin's Gong Fu Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi Yong Xin's Gong Fu Experience

Did Yongxin ever actually teach anyone kungfu?

Well, in the bio that he "publishes" to the world, he makes mention of being the leader of the Shaolin martial arts team; he also mentions that he started the Shaolin martial arts team.

The only "Shaolin martial arts team" I know of, was the wushu guan performance team, which, in the past, was made up of individuals that actually did live in the temple proper (Deyang, Decheng, HengJun, Wan Heng, etc).

In the early nineties, Decheng was the head coach of the wushu guan; he lived in the temple, on the east side quarters with Su Yuan. He was head coach twice; he was fired at one time, because of some illegal immigration attempt when he was on tour, I think, in Austria (disappeared for a while).

YongXin, was acting as a committee secretary in the very late eighties, to the current abbot of the time, Xing Zhen. As I am told, they did not get along well, if at all. He manipulated things at the time to get himself put on the Shaolin management committee after Xing Zhen's death. As member of this committee, he may have played a part in creating the wushu guan team; but, remember, he was a minor player at that time, as there were many older, more competent, and respected monks (Su Xi for one, Wan Heng for another) that were making the decisions. Yongxin did not start to manipulate things and acquire power for a few years.

The wushu guan was built in 88 and 89; at that time, some of the martial monks moved out of the temple and into that facility. Demonstration teams probably started thereafter. They had been doing demo's out of China in the very early 90's. Interestingly, as I've been told, it was the start of these traveling demo teams that brought a young Yanming, (and other "famous" monks), to the wushu guan for a short period of time. The rest of his story I won't get into; it's more fun to watch everybody fight over it.

Yongxin did do some gong fu, as I have seen pictures of a young Yongxin on some books in Beijing. He was not in the same physical condition that he is now; it would be consistent to say that he has some experience with gong fu. But, remember, he spent some time at the Beijing Buddhist college, and his main focus had been dealing with the previous abbot, the committee, and, finally, making political connections. I would probably be on track if I said that he has less experience gong fu wise than the typical martial monk; he most definitely does not even come close to the likes of De Ru, DeYang, DeCheng, HengJun and others.

I might add, that his present physical condition is due, from what I've been told, to a chronic illness. I suspect he has a thyroid condition, but I'm not sure. Regardless, this illness supposedly played some sort of part in his divergence from gong fu.

You really have to be careful when you're dealing with anything Chinese history wise. From Mao to these younger "monks", and all of them inbetween, rewriting history is commonplace. Yongxin is no exception.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Another possible blockbuster book idea. "The history of Shaolin" by Doc. Rewrite the way you have heard it. I'd like to hear about all the Bananas that went on before YX ascended his throne.

Side note...I think I have a Kung-fu Magazine somewhere with YX on the cover and the article on the inside discusses his martial abilities and of course his idea of shaolin in the future. YX was doing the cripple kung-fu with the crutches and some tamo cane and.....i'll have to find the magazine when i get home.
      "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Guys,

we had a thread going on this one already in June 2004.

I would link directly to the thread but something is wrong. Not sure if its on my end or on docs side.

However, here is the title of the thread

"what i noticed about every picture of yongxin"

Enjoy!

Comment

It's here Uwe:

Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Doc, Does your statment about YX that you wrote in that first page of the thread still hold true today? if so, do you like him like you want to make-out with him or just like him like he was your still in-the-closet gay brother?

Comment

I, actually kind of like the guy. He's been most interesting during his evolution, to say the least, and I think he truly means well.
              I do kind of like the guy, and I think he truly means well. Still.

Maybe just for himself, but, you gotta admit, he has accomplished a lot.

And Tetty, don't become BL #2. We have a place for you....

russbo.com

Comment

On this one (in regards to the abbot) I agree with doc.

Uwe

Comment

Really? I dont want to make assumptions to as why so can you explain in a bit of detail.

I like him because he's an agressive little business man promoting his product.

I dislike him for the same reason.

Shaolin is spreading but I don't really want it to. I am still coming to grips with the fact that it is. I want it to spread but it don't want the misinterpretations to spread along with it. But it is getting big enough to have these problems. Too bad the man behind the helm isnt deterring the misrepresentations. (AKA shaolin-do and those sillly American Kenpo dudes) Cartoons, schools, theatre, movies,.... what's next?

Shaolinisdead

Comment

Working...
                  X