Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Useful/Legit Places to train in SE Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Useful/Legit Places to train in SE Texas?

I'm going to be here on business for a bit and thought I'd train whilst I'm here. Any recommendations?

what is it you are looking for? Chinese martial arts, Japanese, filipino, American...? Fighting, physical fitness, stress relief, or do you want to become a real shaolin monk? What area Austin, Houston, San antonio...?

Let us know some more specifics and I'm sure we can find something to suit your needs.
    "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

I am interested in Traditional Shaolin only and I will probably be closest to Houston

Comment

Here are 3 options and these are probably the more "famous" of the shaolin schools there. However, there's always more out there, just look and ask when you get there.

Shi Xing Ying
        He is really awesome at forms and is a super nice guy. Beyond that, I'm not sure what kind of applications he goes into or sanshou he teaches. He's also a younger guy so his stuff is a little more "wushuy".

Shi De Shan
        He is of an older generation of monks (hence the "de") I hear he is very strict and pretty traditional. Hard Qi-gong is a specialty of his (break bricking and such). You have to be pretty serious if you want to train with him, no ****ing around.

Shi Xing Hao
        I think he is more of the middle of the road in comparision to the other two. Still very knowledgable, he teaches a mix of modern wushu and traditional shaolin (most of the younger "monks" teach a similar mix because that's how things are evolving). Excellent with weapons if that's your bag.

Again these are just the three "famous" shaolin schools in houston. There are other "shaolin" schools but beware some of them teach some serious BS. Ask around when you go to the school. Just get to know the Martial arts community and tell us about when you get more info. Because I could be totally wrong.

Also you can find out more info on these guys in the Shaolin section of the forum under shaolin monks. Worth the read if yo uare deciding to go with one of their schools.
        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Why are some smileys small and some god awfully huge?
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Also, besides those 3 monks, there's one more option. Shi Yan Feng teaches in Houston also. His website is: http://www.shaolin-jingwu.com/ (the schedule on the website is out dated. It's now every day except Monday.) He's the youngest of the 4 and a really nice guy. His classes are smaller so you get more individual attention if that's your thing.

Comment

Very Cool. I've been to all four of them. De Shan seems, for all intents and purposes to be the REAL thing. The other guys are super nice and all, but their 'lineage' seems to get mixed up in the whole politics of the Temple these days. De Shan's is simple, Fu Zi Chien and Su Yun. I am in no way knocking the other guys and I really liked them as artists, but yeah, just a little too much long fist and wu-shu for my palet. Thanks all for being so helpful.

Comment

Well, careful about how you assign the "REAL thing" to these guys.

They are all the real thing; they all trained at the wushu guan in Shaolin. I knew the three younger ones when they were back in Shaolin, years ago. De Shan is the oldest (I did not know him), and therefore has some different training and experience. He also has quite the interesting history since arriving in Houston, but that's another story (More in the ARCHIVE). His training leaned more towards the traditional stuff; the younger the guys, the more "wushuey" thier skills will be. But, they still have similar basics to some degree, albeit, with more of the wushu changes that have been discussed elsewhere, and extensively, somewhere in this site. You can find the traditional aspects within their skill set.

Regardless of who you end up spending time with, enjoy yourself in Houston.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                X