Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows Ciushi quan????

Hi everybody,

I'm in a way new to the forum because I used to watch and occasionally post something under another username but forgot my password and also changed email so I had to get a new username. So anyway hello to everybody on the forum and I would like to start with a question.

I would like to know if anyone knows what Shaolin "Ciushi" /"cuishi"/"Qiushi" quan means. I do know what Shaolin and quan means, but ...

It's a form I was taught by a by a Chinese guy. As he doesn't speak proper English or any other to me understandeable languages and my Chinese is basically non-existent, I can't figure out what it means. I do not know it how it should be spelled, but this is how it sounded when he said the name of the form before beginning to teach it.

If it helps to identify the form I'll describe it a lilltle. At the beginning there's a kick from ding bu position simultaneous with opening the arms and then falling down to pu bu as you can find in a Lohan form. The first section uses primarily fist, then comes a sections that uses 7starhands with Roosterpositions. further comes a tornadokick followed by a sleeping buddha position as found in lohanforms. Then some more fisttechniques and then again walking like a rooster as found in 7star form (3times). This is followed by what looks to me to be some tiger techniques en then it has a tornado kick with the left leg (I was already starting to think there were only right leg tornado kicks in shaolin forms....) a golden rooster stands on 1 leg with turn, some more punches and a final right jump kick and then and in the typical shaolin endposition.

I don't know wether my description will be helpfull, but i can try anyway.

If anyone could help me with this one, i would be thankful.

What does it sound like? In English, phonetically. The "pinyin" that you write doesn't make sense to me. I don't recognize it from what you describe. But then again, I only knew relatively a few of these.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

There is no ciu in pinyin. One qiu I know though is ball. Shi can be a multitude of things. I have no idea. Ask him to write the characters for you and look it up in a dictionary. Your best bet,,,

Comment

Hi guys,

I asked to write it down because I couldn't make sense of how he says it. It is Shao Lin Guiding Quan.

So if you have some background on this form it would be welcome.

Comment

I know this form. It's a competition form that is a compilation of several traditional forms together. It's a nice form, but it doesn't flow as nicely as the original forms because it is pieced together. The name is Shaolin Gui Ding Quan, which just basically means Shaolin Competition form. I was told it was designed a few years ago in Dengfeng as a standardized competition form for the schools. I haven't verified that myself though.

Comment

This is becoming more and more prevalent. Decheng was telling me two years ago that he sits on a board in Dengfeng that "creates" these competition forms. He's not too happy about it, because it washes down the true traditional stuff, which makes them lose their "flavor". But, he does it because his school has to stay competitive.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

just basically means Shaolin Competition form.
              gui1ding4 (规定) = stipulate; provide; fix; set; formulate. not competition. it's typically translated as "rule." in this situation, however, "standard" would be an appropriate translation.
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Yeah, my Chinese isn't the greatest, that's just what someone told me.

There's a lot of Louhan, Qi Xing, and Hong elements to it and the movements are straight from the forms. It's definitely not wushu as it's linear and no running in circles, aerials, etc. I haven't seen a video of it on the net, so I don't know how widely taught it is. I'd much rather learn the original forms, and I don't practice this one much, but recognize his description.

Comment

Working...
                X