marathon running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marathon running

I plan to participate in the 2007 Chicago Marathon which should be held in October sometime.

I recognize that there's still about 9 months before the race, but I've never run a marathon before. What advice could you give me?

I've seen some well thought out 16-18 week training guides. Yet, it sure would be nice to hear from anyone who has experience as a marathon runner, about nutritional info, etc......

So, what up??
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Start running?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

mmmm...good point. where?
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

In Chicago?

Comment

is that really necessary? and can't I walk?
          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Yea. Walk. If you don't mind losing.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

It has been a few days since I posted this thread and, well, let's just say these are not the answers I was looking for.

I don't know if you people are too arrogant...or if this is some kind of sick, twisted trick. But either way, I don't like it...

Nope, not one bit....
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

LOL, well, personally, when it comes to marathons, I kind of like to lay in bed with my Thai honey thinking about all those people getting up at five to run that 21K thingie...

russbo.com

Comment

It's been awhile since I've posted here but I lurk constantly! I've always liked running but it wasn't until I hooked up with a running team this past year that I decided to take on a marathon. We used Hal Higdon's marathon training guide for our training. We're using the Intermediate I for the Austin Marathon in Feb.

Just a suggestion, if you can, find or organize a team to run with; it makes the longer runs more "fun" in that you can carry on a conversation throughout the run. Trust me, those 15+ mile runs are damn boring alone! Also, starting your running schedule earlier can allow for a week break here or there. Holidays pop-up and injuries happen so having the extra "padding" in your schedule can really help.

Finding a few 5k, 10k and half-marathons to run in can also keep your spirits up and keep you motivated to keep training.

Also, get a good pair of shoes; I personally love the Asics Gels. Go into a store like Academy that will let you try on all of the running shoes and actually try them (run around the store!). You'll be running MANY miles in these shoes so make sure they are perfect. Academy also has a great return policy so if you get out of the store and decide that the shoes are not right for you, they usually will take them back with out much fuss.

As for diet, you're going to be burining a TON of calories so intake should take this into account. Diet sodas have been known to cause problems with muscles and joints (look up Aspartame via Google for more info) so limiting them would be a good suggestion. Water intake should not be ignored, obviously. Replenish your electrolytes after runs is important as well. I'm sure you can find diets to follow but all of us on the team I run with just avoid extremely heavy foods and the such so they don't interfere with our runs. Choose complex carbs over processed ones so you'll have the sugars you need throughout your runs. I always make a protein shake after each run, it seems to help me recover quicker.

A little side on the diet, a product called "GU Energy Gel" (pronouced "Goo") is a great boost when taken during longer runs. I take one or two during my longer runs. Alot of sports supplement stores carry GU; I usually just grab some at Academy though. Also, if you don't drink caffeinated drinks much then a cup of coffee before a run is a nice boost (obviously, your body will become accustomed to regular caffeine use so I would avoid it outside of running).

A book I really enjoyed reading on the subject of running was "Chi Running." In short, it uses martial arts methods of using your core for most of the work so you don't have to rely soley on brute leg strength. I'm over generalizing so I would suggest picking up a copy for you to digest.

Well, this was long and I hope I hit all the points you were asking about. If not, ask away.

Comment

will the Great Bald One really think of me while laying beside his Thai honey... as I run that 21k thingie? my luck has turned for the better after all!!
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

He will.

He promises.

russbo.com

Comment

everything in terms of increasing my distances and so forth is going well, but i've kind of "run" into a snag.

as a youngster i broke my collar bone....later when i was about 22 or so, while sparring once, i dislocated my shoulder and either bruised or slightly tore my rotator cuff. if i'm only doing a few miles, i usually don't have too much pain or tightness, but after a 8 or 9 mile run...it's different.

i've figured out a trick to "cure" or at least prevent the chin splints i had been suffering from.....now I need to do something about this.

after my run...there is little to no pain. the pain and tightness, originating from the rotator cuff, sets in the next day. i stretch it...but after a while it gets tired, sore, and really tight...to the point that i can't really move properly at all. at first i thought it had to do with my running position. now i feel my technique is correct, with elbows close to my sides, shoulders relaxed and slightly to the front, relaxed and dropped down to minimize movement, and with hands in front of my chest. this has not corrected the problem, however.

i'd like to hear from anyone that can give some advice, but specifically from doc, daodejing, and SubXinu.

dao, since i sometimes needle myself...is there an acupuncture point that i can needle which would help to alleviate this pain and tightness?

thanks....
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

From my experience, shin splints are only a factor when I have bad/worn shoes and/or I'm not hitting with my heels when I land. It sounds like you've discovered one or the other.

I'm not a medical expert and Doc is probably a better source than I am but it sound like this could be a result of your previous injury being aggravated by the repetitive motion. You're doing everything right, it sounds; you're relaxing your shoulders and keeping your arms to your sides. If increasing your mileage is a real goal for you, you might try to completely immobilize your arm. I sometimes have my students do similar running work without their arms to make them use their cores more (for keeping hands up to guard). Off hand, I can’t think of a better solution. Doing this, at first, will be a challenge but you’d be surprised how easy it is once you’ve trained your core to do the extra balancing work.

"Chi Running" actually talks quit a bit about using your core more than the typical runner does. If you haven’t check it out yet, it’s worth the read (even if you just sit in a Barnes & Noble and read it there; the book can be read in a Saturday afternoon but can take months to implement the ideas.)

Comment

thanks Sub..

it's funny you say shin splints occur by hitting the heel. i've read that it apprears more in most with the stepping of the toe, due to tibialis anterior pulling away from the bone, which I felt was the case for myself. guess it's debatable in running circles.

anyhow, paid a visit to the doc today -- not The Doc, LOL.....

did x-rays.

he originally thought it was a nerve issue of the spine that affects the entire shoulder. there was no evidence of any...apparently. he said other tests, like an mri, would be necessary to determine whether or not it is the rotator cuff. he mentioned that it could be osteoarthritis, brutitis (or something), etc... but seemed confident that we'd be able to find a suitable means of treatment/therapy.

i'm convinced it's the rotator cuff for various reasons -- will have to wait and see.
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Well, if you look at the anatomy of the shoulder, you'll see that the upper humerus (upper arm) is a low grade ball and socket type joint, articulating with the glenoid of the scapula (shoulder blade). Four short muscles from the scapula fuse into one ligament that attaches to the humerus; this is the rotator cuff. It keeps the humerus in place, along with the other surrounding supporting musculature; deltoids, pects, biceps, etc.

The arm hangs from the shoulder because of the weight of itself, and the force of gravity. Running, and the repetitive up and down motion of the body, causes similar movements in the arm. The weight of the arm compounded by the constant up and down movements of the body with running most probably put stress on that shoulder joint to some degree.

In most people, we don't feel that stress, though in people with torn or damaged rotator cuffs, that sort of movement could aggravate the injury / irritation / inflammation that occurs with old unhealed / partially healed / fresh rotator cuff injuries.

Shoulder "pain" can also come from irritated cervical nerves; what I said for the arm also goes for the head. The head weighs a good nine or ten pounds, and it sits upon the cervical spine. Running, with it's up and down movement, puts stress on the cervical spine; some dislodgment of cervical discs can irritate certain nerve roots that come out of the cervical canal, giving you the sensation of pain in the shoulder or arm, all depending upon what nerve root is being irritated.

You have to remember that running, especially on pavement, is an exercise that stresses many joints in the body, including cervical, thoracic and lumbar vertebral joints, hip, knee and ankle joints, and the small joints within the foot. It's a healthy type of exercise that can, and does, cause long term damage to various parts of the body.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X