Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abductor muscles of right leg...

hey doc

i was wondering if you could give me some advice...

a while back i injured my right thighs abductor. turns out that i've managed to do it in quite nicely... i'm told that for the next three months i can't work it at all.

of course i'm leaving for china in 3 months so that's just frikkin fabulous. i mean i was really hoping to spend the next few months pushing my limits, especially in basics like standing pole. and now...

so the question. what can i do to maintain, if not grow, fitness, leg endurance and leg strength, considering i can't really use much of my right leg? i'm told that cycling would be ok but the problem is i also hear that cycling is death to flexibility with it being high intensity at limited range of motion. what about standing pole? bad idea? swimming?

any help. please. not doing any fitness, leg endurance and leg strength training for 3 months will kill me.

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Well, first of all, it's not clear that your injury will prevent you from using your leg fully for the next three months. How did you come up with that time period? Some muscle strains can "heal" within days to weeks, all depending upon the severity of the injury. Tears to ligaments and tendons can take much longer. So, first thing to do, is chill. You're not sure how long you're going to be out of commission with this.

The best thing to do, for the next one to two weeks, is rest it. Just take a break, let things settle down, let the edema diminish, let all those little pain inducing chemicals and products of inflammation diminish and go away. Ice for the first few days, followed by heat, helps. Then, depending upon how you feel (you will probably be the best judge of how you're progressing, as your body will "tell" you how your leg is healing based upon the amount and quality of pain feedback that it gives you), slowly institute some exercise. Walking swimming, bicycle riding, go slowly, and see how you do. Swimming is probably the best thing that you can do, when you injure muscles. Go slowly, don't push it, and give it some time.

You'll probably heal faster, and get back on your feet in time to train, more quickly than you expect.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

The Details

Ok, so a chiropractor i hear only good things about gave me a time frame of 2 - 3 months. this is my second medical opinion. First i tried a few physio sessions which never solved the problem.

the issue is ligament related as far as he can tell. i'm going see him again tomorrow.

what i have been doing is covering the spot with a piece of cloth dipped in castor oil and applying heat for an hour or more. this has some benefit for the lymph vessels/nodes/tubes of death?

is it just my imagination or does doing push-ups engage your thigh abductors? right now it kinda feels like breathing does... guess this is why i should sit down for a week huh?

well, thanks for the heads up. Enjoy the New Year!

Comment

do you have a hernia?
        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Have you considered getting a medical evaluation and opinion?
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

"what i have been doing is covering the spot with a piece of cloth dipped in castor oil and applying heat for an hour or more. this has some benefit for the lymph vessels/nodes/tubes of death?"

...what the hell are tubes of death?

and how did you injure it, what was your position?
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

The tubes of death are those that bring the pain. better believe it.

anyway.

yeah, i am seeing a chiropractor. fear not. i am not seeking some internet diagnosis. well, kinda...

my chiropractor doesn't do martial arts. so when he says stay off it for 3 months i'm thinking he's thinking about running and such. what about just standing still? maybe i can do some things, like perhaps standing pole, and get away with it...

Comment

Originally posted by tetsumaru
                do you have a hernia?
                not that i know of...

why would that relate to my thigh abductor?

Comment

this type of injury sucks. i hurt both sides last summer from mountain biking too much. it's ususally due to overuse or a strain....due to overuse. and, in my nonmedical opinion, rest is best. if you do things you shouldn't, you're going to prolong the problem.

suggestion: use a heating blanket, sit indian style while laying down, and let the area stretch out....gradually...over a couple of hours every day.

there are plenty of stretches that help to isolate that area. if you're not sure, just ask.
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Femoral hernias are when the intestines travel down the femoral canal, into the upper thigh. Referred pain can make you think the cause is in the upper thigh; you usually feel pain in the groin or upper thigh, and there can be a painful mass in that area (middle of leg). You usually find this with women, but it can occur in men.

If this is where your pain sypmptoms are, this needs to be ruled out. Good call Tets. Hadn't considered this.

russbo.com

Comment

I just read your comment, doc. I was a doctor one night. That's how I knew.

I'm such a stoner. There are three threads about this type of injury including mine.

http://www.russbo.org/vb/showthread.php?t=3152

this is a link to mine and onesp1ng's link is on there too.

My injury has completely healed. I think after getting adjusted by the kiniesiologist it helped. Also I hear, over...um...usage of the...fluids exploding from you eurythra causes a strain on those muscles...I'm not a doctor anymore so i don't know for sure.
                      "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Working...
                      X