Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authenticity of monks

hello all.. !

anyone know of any monks besides Shi Yanzi in the UK ?

the authenticty of the monks?

cheers

I believe there is Yan Lei:

Train like a Shaolin Monk & discover Kung Fu & Qigong. Enjoy inner peace, optimal health, fitness & flexibility with Shifu Yan Lei & traditional training programmes.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

In no order in particular:

Shi Yan Ming
      http://www.shaolintempleschool.org.uk/

Shi Heng Wei & Shi Heng Sheng
      http://www.studentbbs.co.uk/tang-lon...tpage&Itemid=1
      and:
      New Webstite coming soon at:
      http://www.tang-long.co.uk/

Shifu Yan Rui
      http://www.shaolinculture.co.uk/

Shi De Yan
      http://www.shaolinwushu.co.uk/

Shi Heng Long
      http://www.shaolingongfucity.co.uk/timetable.html

Shi Heng Xuan
      New Website coming soon at:
      www.shihengxuan.com

There are many different answers to the question: "the authenticity of the monks?"

To the best of my knowledge, and including Shi Yan Zi and Shi Yan Lei:
      • All teach authentic Shaolin
      • All are Su Jia Di Zi (practising Shaolin in the secular sense)
      • Some perform Shaolin better than others
      • Some are better Martial Arts teachers than others
      • Some are better Shifus than others
      • Some are more academically into Chan Buddhism than others
      • Some practise Chan Buddhism more than others
      • Some are further along the path to enlightenment than others
      • Some lived in the Temple
      • Some are married
      • Some have partners or girlfriends
      Tell me what your criteria for authenticity is and I will tell you who I think complies with it.

Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken
        • Some are further along the path to enlightenment than others
        • Some lived in the Temple
        • Some are married
        • Some have partners or girlfriends

Chicken
        Personally, I think that this would have been more appropos for the older generation monks, as opposed to the younger guys, who tend to be more along the lines of performers and students, than monks. Times have changed at Shaolin, and those times have most definitely reflected in the people who come from that area now, and in the recent past.

It is clear, that the concept of what a "monk" is, has changed.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

LOL if you mould the cookie cutter on (what you percieve) De Cheng to be, then there are no "monks" in the UK.

From a Western perspective, there are no authentic monks in the UK.
          From a Chinese perspective, they are all authentic monks.
          What can I say?

Chicken

Comment

Decheng has nothing to do with it. My commentary is based upon the individuals that I met in the mid nineties, the ones that actually did live in the temple.

Before it became the gong fu performance center of the world.

There are some good people who have recently come out of that area, I don't deny that. But, there are others that truly don't know the first thing about what they pretend to be or know.

Keep believing the myth. That's what you all want to do. That's what many are looking for, what many need.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I have a question to Doc. Im totally with you on the fake monk view. To me shaolin temple is today a hollywood set full of convincing actors. How many real monks do you know of, they cant be many so you should be able to name them. I am very curious here because im having trouble finding any more than shi de jian and maybe some more. Your insight into shaolin is greater than mine so please help me if you can.
              To everyone else: Of course a buddhist monk does not get married or have girlfriends!!!!!!!!!

My god whats wrong with people????? I see people like shi yan ming drinking and so on claiming to be a monk his followers must be crazy!!!!! im sure he is good at performing that we have all seen but thats something else! A buddhist monk is a buddhist monk in Sweden, USA, China, Thailand, France, India everywhere- monk is a monk thats it- If you drink, get married and so on you are not a monk!!!!!!!!!!! Monkhood is a very clearcut thing you either live as one or you do not. And if you do not live as a monk you can not call yourself one just because you are chinese, have been in a temple, dress like a monk, know gong fu or qigong, read the sutras, have a shaved head etc. My knowing gong fu, having shaved head,reading sutras do not make me a monk!!!! No matter what these actors do people still believe they are monks- they live as ordinary westerners and claim to be monks and you fools belive them- you are just as much a monk as they are man, wake up you live the same way eat the same food drink the same beer, share the same concern with money money money and chase the same girls!!!!!
              Lord have mercy!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, that completely holds true in the West, and completely doesn't hold true in the East.

They are not heshang they are wusheng... they don't claim to be heshang (religious monks) they claim that they are wusheng (fighting monks).

Which means they're not conning anyone, just that we project western expectations on to them and they don't measure up... that doesn't make them fake, they are different.

Same can be said about them gobbing all over the place, completely unacceptable through out most of the West, but nobody so much as blinks in response to spitting in most of Asia.

Different cultural standards.... go there and live with them with no other contact with the Western world, till you understand their culture from the inside, then try percieving as opposed to judging whether they are Shaolin Monks or not.

Chicken

PS. Shaolin Temple doesn't even know how many monks there are as they never resumed recording them after the cultural revolution... for the very real reason that there's every chance that the Chinese government could turn on Shaolin and decide to irradicate every single recorded one of them

Comment

My view of the shaolin hustlers and their blind followers or wershipers is shared with many asians. My Chinese friends were the ones that allerted me to this fenomena in the first place. You dont know what holds true wear. Do really think that the chinese believe in these so called monks like you do. I am sure some do ignorrance is every where but educated chinese people laugh at the shaolin hustlers they recognise only a handful of monks as real but the rest are fake- go ask some real chinese people not your fellow blind uneducated juvenile shaolin worshiping comrads. If you choose to believe in these "master" -hustlers its up to you but dont give me this crap about a monk being any kind of ordinary cat in china but not here. A monk is a monk in the west and in China!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken
                    PS. Shaolin Temple doesn't even know how many monks there are as they never resumed recording them after the cultural revolution...
                    Which is also the very reason why some of them have been able to market themselves in such a fashion, and create a "persona", which, surprisingly, many seem to find reason to follow, and embellish.

I won't get into details.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by master-lu
                      My view of the shaolin hustlers and their blind followers or wershipers is shared with many asians. My Chinese friends were the ones that allerted me to this fenomena in the first place. You dont know what holds true wear. Do really think that the chinese believe in these so called monks like you do. I am sure some do ignorrance is every where but educated chinese people laugh at the shaolin hustlers they recognise only a handful of monks as real but the rest are fake- go ask some real chinese people not your fellow blind uneducated juvenile shaolin worshiping comrads. If you choose to believe in these "master" -hustlers its up to you but dont give me this crap about a monk being any kind of ordinary cat in china but not here. A monk is a monk in the west and in China!!!!!!
                      Master Lu...
                      I take my references from living with them... have you ever lived with them?

Chicken

Comment

Do you live with all of them?

Comment

Master-lu, rules of conversation go...

#017 You answer the question asked of you, then you pose your response.

If you won't answer my questions, I don't have to answer yours.

Chicken

Comment

It does not matter, my point was maid. It was a retorical question. I have not lived in china, so what? I know lots of chinese people. You must know that not all chinese think the same. Same goes for their opinions of shaolin and monkhood. I'm sure your chinese friends share your view i know some chinese that do but most of them know that they are not real monks. Actual Real shaolin monks living around the temple today also say that most of their fellow shaoliners are not real monks- but you say they are. hm.
                            They make it very clear what a monk is and what he does- and he does not drink alcohol and have sex!
                            Well not being a monk does not make you a bad person- i'm sure your shaolin friends are nice people but if they are not monks - they are not monks but you can still train with them and learn good wushu and splits and acrobatics and whatever they teach nowadays that has nothing to do with any real fighting. I had three chinese masters all of them said the same about shaolin but ofcourse these are old people your view is more common among the young people, that may explain why you think a monk is something else to chinese people. You should talk to the old fellows who know real chinese history and culture not movie influenced youngsters or business people involved in the whole tourist industry circus that is shaolin today. I'm sure you understand what i mean.

Comment

Splitting going on everywhere, as usual!

Since when have Monks not drank alcohol? Many of the traditional European alesoriginate from monastrys. Suppose you're gonna tell me that all of those ancient friaries are not monks too.

Umm... approximating through knowing a couple of huaqiaos, is as ridiculous as taking a Scottish person and claiming they think the same as a Turkish person because Scotland and Turkey are both in the EU!

Huaqiao mostly originate from Taiwan, HK,and the major Chinese costal provinces, frequently after generations sojourning in SE Asia on the way. Only very, very rarely do you come accross a Huaqiao from Central China in the West. I have never come accross a single one of them who has spent 10 years plus professionally studying gongfu.

So not sure how knowing a couple of huaqiao equates to living with them? I don't think that would hold up in a research study.

Chicken.

Comment

Working...
                              X