Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dalai Lama in Chicago

Doc,

here is a good one from my neck of the woods so to speak...

the Dalai Lama has announced he will travel to Chicago in May to make his first public appearance in the city since 1999.

The 71-year-old spiritual leader of the world’s Tibetan Buddhists is expected to hold a public teaching session at Chicago’s Harris Theater and then deliver a public address in Millennium Park on May 6, according to the Dalai Lama’s official Web site and Tashi Puhri, president of Chicago’s Tibet Center.

“We are, of course, very excited,” said Puhri, who is a member of the committee planning the lama’s visit. “Apart from the teaching and hearing from him, just to see him is a great thing.”

On the morning of May 6, the Dalai Lama is scheduled to give a two- to three-hour teaching on Geshe Langri Thangpa’s “Eight Verses of Training the Mind,” a classic Tibetan text and one of his favorite lecture topics, to an audience of about 1,500 at the Harris Theater, according to his Web site and Puhri.

In the afternoon, he is set to deliver a public address titled, “Finding Inner Peace in a World of Turmoil,” in Millennium Park for a crowd of 15,000-16,000.

Tibet.

What a phenomenal place. Shame the Chinese are destroying it.

Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I hope I can visit Tibet within my lifetime and within its lifetime...

Awesome news, Uwe. I guess at this point I'd settle for Chicago, but, eh, what are you gonna do?
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

thanks for the info uwe. with a little luck i might just get there...
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

he still eating steak?
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

uwe do u know wherre to obtain tickets for the event? are u going?
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
              uwe do u know wherre to obtain tickets for the event? are u going?

Here is the official website for the event with ticket information and the whole nine yard.

http://www.dalailamachicago.com/

For tickets you are a bit late. the only tickets left are for the public talk. See info below.

Finding Inner Peace in a World Full of Turmoil
              Pritzker Pavilion, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Pavilion seats: $50, $100, $150
              Lawn seats: $10

The Public Talk will be preceded by an array of diverse cultural performances. Executive Producers, Erica and Harold Ramis. Emcee: Bill Kurtis.

All ticket holders are strongly encouraged to arrive early.

I could not get tickets for the other performances either.

Ordained Sangha Monks get tickets for free.

Comment

great thanks for the info/ do u know if u can get lawn seat tickets on may 6th or do you still have to purchase them ahead of time?

will u be there? perhaps we can meet up??
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

it appears that everything is sold out on the website for both venues.
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                  X