How to... Post Comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to... Post Comment

Am I retarded ? Why can't I figure out how to post a comment ?
    Someone please help ? I know most of you post 'em left and right. I just wana be cool like you guys !!!!
    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

just click little icon on the top left of the post you wish to comment on. it has a x and a check on it -- add reputation, etc.
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Can you believe, when I was 5, my father took all my Heman toys and threw them in the trash because he didn't like the fact that Heman called himself "Master of THe Universe" !!! He thought it wasn't very "Christian". Which, I agree, it's a little sacrilegious to a Christian, but DAMN ! I was 5 man ! I had Skeletors castle. That thing had the snake microphone that made your voice sound all cool. That was the first time religion left a bad taste in my mouth !

Oh ! And on all your time spent in Taiwan and Hangzhou, Kickass ! Way to go. That's more than just workin your ass off, that's real deal commitment ! I've thought about doing an immersement program in Beijing. In fact that's part of the reason I'm here, to improve to a level that I think I would be able to hold my own in a program like that. I don't know about translating, your level of fluency would have to be pretty up there, but I would like to get into international buisness or trade. Even though I'm not too interested in buisness or trade. I still need to finish my undergrad. so my options are limited.

How did that immersion program go for you ? I mean, what was it like, difficult as hell, or only at first ? I guess your level of Chinese was pretty high after spending all that time in Taiwan.
      And why Taiwan ? I went there last summer, Taibei, and found that the PuTongHua is a little different. (the history and all) Plus they have there own language too. Were you dissatisfied with the mainland ?
      Also, Had you already finished the undergrad Chinese language courses ?

Sorry for the interrogation, it's just, you've already done what I'm headding into.
      All my friends think I'm crazy for comming to China to do this and not just staying at a college in the States to learn as much as possible, you know stay in my comfort zone. They don't understand my fascination with the culture and history, or, they do, but would never dream of going to this length to experience it.

You already have, and now I'm just begining too. It's pretty wild.......

Comment

Bai

translating is probably not what you think it is. Most translating firms use programs that prompt translate as you go along. So its pretty easy to translate you just have to select the right phrase within the sentence's context... then its like being in a quiz show when you need to take short phrases and make sentences out of them.
        e.g.

jealous.... is better than.....we are....Chinese ...... ours and.... Onesp1ng's

The skill then becomes in re-organising the English text in chinese grammar back into English, and making it sound worthy. I ajudicated a translation test for about 20 individuals and companies... you can tell the difference between individuals translating (very poor) and big companies. The difference is this:
        1. a Origin language mother tongue translator uses the tool to get the text into Target language,
        2. a Target language mothertongue translator gets the text into readable Target language,
        3. then another Target language writer who has Origin language experience, edits the Target piece so it comes together as well as the Original piece was written.
        4. If the work is academic, or legal or medical, etc. another round of technical editing will take place.
        5. Quality control then reads throught the piece to ensure the translation is up to the standard of the house.
        The biggest problem for translation houses is the quality of the original piece.
        If its pooly written or in anyway ambiguous... its very, very hard to translate accurately.

Chicken

Comment

VERy Very very VERY, Interesting.... I never would have thought it would be like that. My naive self would have thought someone had to read through the text and translate. So thanks for enlightening me.. Isn't technology wonderful !!!

Comment

Working...
          X