Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts academy in China

American Jeff and Deborah

Our time at the Kun Yu Mountain Martial Arts Academy has been very memorable. The training is excellent. Master Wei is very knowledgeable and helpful, He takes a personal interest in the training and progress of his students, and all masters get along with students very well here.

My wife and I decided that we would go on an adventure as soon as we got married. So, we moved to China and lived at this school for nine months. Within the first three months, I had lost fifteen kilograms and she had lost ten. Now, we are in the best shape of our lives. We have learned several Shaolin fist and weapon forms as well as Sanda kick boxing and acrobatic jumps/break-falls, We have also gained strength, flexibility, and endurance.

It was challenging to leave a life full of modern conveniences and live a very modest lifestyle. However, that has taught us to take a deeper look at the things that are most important to us. We’ve learned that many things that we depended on back home are really unnecessary, We have also had a firsthand look at China; both the ancient culture and the developing society.

Jeff E-mail: jeffmcvey@gmail.com
    Deborah E-mail: deborah.mcvey@gmail.com

Originally posted by poc
    Within the first three months, I had lost fifteen kilograms and she had lost ten.
    ..... It was challenging to leave a life full of modern conveniences and live a very modest lifestyle.
    It's a good weight-loss plan.

What i don't understand is, why do people want to pay shtiloads of money to live "a very modest lifestyle?"

I mean, you eat simple food, live in a simple room, poop in a simple toilet, but the content and tranquil MONKS somehow manage to charge you up the wazoo for all this?!

Comment

would anyone pay 1300 bucks per month to train at a martial arts school in the west?

of course not! but they would in china, so they charge them that amount. lol

simple.

i saw the videos of some people training at kunyu mountain martial arts academy on youtube. some of their forms are very rare traditional style. but a little different.......

Comment

I think it sounds like a very positive experience.

They may have paid lots of money, but I think it's a good investment, whether they rip you off or not, they still provide a more genuine teaching than in the West, where they also rip you off anyway.

I also think that more people should go for this kind of "adventure" for real instead of living them in a more and more virtual world...Credits to them for moving their asses and to have gone for it. At least they are amongst the ones who do, not the ones who just watch.
        The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

i agree. good investment and experience (though painful). thats why they'd pay such an outrageous price in china that they would never pay in the west. even the monks here cant get away with charging that much money, even if their training is authentic and worthwhile. its all about the total package in china. you dont get all that experience here.

Comment

sorry to disagree guys but i don't see this as a good thing. the experience? --great, go for it, learn and enjoy. but the cost, if 1300 a month, as someone said, is quite superfluos indeed. for nine months thats over 5 times a beijingers annual income, not including airfare and so on. someone's pockets are getting fat... when i worked in the mainland i got 6000 rmb a month/ you do the math. its not nearly 1300.... personally i don't see getting ripped off to be a good thing regardless of the location.
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

you mada a mistake

hi guys
              I think you mada a mistake.not 1300 monthly

each person Tuition Fee : $300.

Comment

sounds like a pretty decent set-up then/.... since it includes room and board and probably two or three meals a day.

glad u are enjoying/ or have enjoyed ur experiences.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

yes, sorry i wasnt quoting the price of this school. i was talking about many schools in the area in general. lots of them are over 1,000 dollars. though many good ones are cheaper. 300 is good.

Comment

For instance, according to the price list posted on this site, stay at Shi De Cheng's Wushu Guan for 30 days will run you 35 USD a day. That comes out to over 1000 usd for 30 days or less. I'm sure he'll make a discount for one solid month of stay, but that's still a heafty price.
                    "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

I personallly think that a grand a month, to cover reasonable living quarters, decent food, and good training for about four hours plus a day, with legitimate teachers, is not a bad price.

Consider that the Wushu Guan is now charging over one hundred a day (albeit with their newly renovated hotel, which is very well done by the way, pictures to follow), during "high" season.

Remember. You get what you pay for. I would never go to a school that charged ten bucks a day. Having spent far too much time in China, I find that prospect to be a little scary, LOL.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                      russbo.com

Comment

cheap

personally it's cheap. learning in the east mountain with monks in China.

Comment

Working...
                        X