Decheng, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decheng, again

Hi Sir , i would like to ask you a question about one teacher of shaolin. I know you studied a lot there so i am wondering something.

In Quebec city there is a website about Shaolin wushu. called Shaolinamerique.org

the have a subwebpage about how to know the real authenticity of a shaolin teacher to know if the teacher is really part of shaolin lineage from the temple in henan.
    http://www.shaolinamerique.org/authentique.php

First they show the passeport of Shi Yan Lu here

http://www.shaolinamerique.org/image...porShYanLu.jpg

they said he is a real shaolin monk so he is linked to the temple cuz its written religious worker.

Second they show another passeport of a man called Chen Qingzhen and they expose him as a non-recognise shaolin teacher. but from the pic in my memory he look like a monk who is now lay i met before : Shi Decheng

http://www.shaolinamerique.org/image...rtshiCheng.jpg

is he the Shi Decheng i think he is?

thank you for your time
    xxxxxx
    Talk about sheer brilliance. Posting someone's passport and photo on the internet. Imagine the identification theft issues that could erupt from that.

Well, just for your information, if I wanted to, I could have "religious worker" listed as my occupation on my passport too. I'm not really sure what that means, but it does not really prove anything.

Chen QingZhen is Shi De Cheng's real name.

But don't tell anyone.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Simply ridiculous, not because one doesn't follow the new trendy way of $haolin means he is not genuine.
    Next thing you'll know, Shi DeYang and Shi Xing Hong will no longer be official monks...

Comment

Hey Doc, have you ever ran across any monks being given the same religious names ??? My shifu here in Shandong is also named Shi Yanlu, the same characters and all. And he was born in Shandong just like the monk on the passport above. However he was not born in '70, he was born in '82 or '83. And although there is a likeness I'm pretty sure the're not the same person.

I'm going to print this out and run it by him, but I thought I'd ask...
      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Shi Yan Lu appears to be the chief martial arts trainer of the Buddhist temple only second to the Abbot.

Comment

I'm surprised to see Shi Yanlu as the name on a Chinese Passport, because that is not the name he was born with but the name given to him when becoming a monk.
          I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
          "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
          "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
          "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Originally posted by baiwanxi
            Hey Doc, have you ever ran across any monks being given the same religious names ??? My shifu here in Shandong is also named Shi Yanlu, the same characters and all. And he was born in Shandong just like the monk on the passport above. However he was not born in '70, he was born in '82 or '83. And although there is a likeness I'm pretty sure the're not the same person.

I'm going to print this out and run it by him, but I thought I'd ask...
            that happens a lot. considering all the pre-existing yan generation monks and disciples, then all those that came under yongxin and got a new yan generation name, and then all the new monks under yongxin also with yan generation names.

how many buddhist related single characters can you come up with, and i'm sure in the new batch of monks some names overlapped with pre-existing ones making many duplicates.

but even beyond this. i have seen many shi hengfas. 释恒法 two of them were chinese monks completely unrelated to each other and then the other is yanming's disciple who posts here as arhat. and actually, come to think of it i've also seen three different guys named shi yanming and they all have the same characters. 释延明

so its common. you get the shi family name, the common generation name for whichever generation and the only personal part is the third character. that narrows it down. then you have words like "dharma", "emptiness", "life", etc..

so dont be surprised at all by duplicated dharma names.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
              I'm surprised to see Shi Yanlu as the name on a Chinese Passport, because that is not the name he was born with but the name given to him when becoming a monk.
              i remember talking about that somewhere years ago. i think it was maybe yanming who travelled under his dharma name too. although i dont know how that works. its nothing more legally official than a nickname, is it? does doc travel under the single word "doc"?

Comment

Originally posted by LFJ
                does doc travel under the single word "doc"?

Well, In Thailand that would be "Khun Doc".
                I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up LFJ. Maybe you can help me out again. "Lu 鲁" in my dictionary translates to "dull", or "stupid". There must be some better Dharma translation for this character, right ?

I mean, modesty, to claim to know nothing, is seen as a good thing in Buddhism but to be named, Shi Yan Stupid, that just doesn't sound right.......
                  Last edited by baiwanxi; 05-09-2007, 10:26 AM.
                  "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

i've seen it translated as "crass" but i'm sure thats not the reason he was named that.

more than likely its because the character 鲁 is short for shandong, and thats where he is from.

Comment

Working...
                    X