A Soy Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Soy Story

I was recently asked about soy protein by users on this forum. Here's why soy is dangerous:

Jane Phillimore addresses some of the concerns raised by new research
    Sunday Observer, Guardian Co, UK August 27, 2000

Twelve years ago, I visited an alternative health practitioner with some non-specific health symptoms. I'd hardly sat down before he told me that my diet needed radical attention - I had to cut out all dairy, wheat, alcohol and caffeine, and substitute protein in the form of soymilk and tofu instead. Nowadays this kind of advice is routine, but at the time, it seemed glamorously radical: I had to trek to Clapham's one health-food shop to stock up on soy milk because Sainsbury's certainly didn't have their own brand (as they do now) and veggie/soy sausages were just a glint in Linda McCartney's eye.

In the event, I lost a stack of weight and felt immensely rejuvenated. So much so that, four months later, I started eating normally again. Just as well, because it has now been found that soy - far from having the magical, health-giving properties that the alternative medicine brigade endlessly bangs on about - can actually be bad for you.

Its reputation as an anti-cancer, cholesterol-lowering, osteoporosis-fighting, low-fat all round good egg of a product is based on bad science and superlative marketing by the powerful soy industry.

Worldwide the evidence is starting to stack up against soy. In this country (United Kingdom), MAFF is so worried about the possible health problems of phytoestrogens in soy that they are funding a rolling program of 19 separate research projects, due to end in 2002. Preliminary findings by Professor John Ashby of AstraZeneca Central Toxicology Laboratory in Macclesfield, for example, confirm that soy infant formula (currently the sole food of 6,500 British babies) has an estrogenic effect on rats. According to public health minister Yvette Cooper, no new advice will be given on soy until the independent COT (Committee on Toxicity of Chemicals in Food, Consumer Products and the Environment) has reviewed the program's findings.

This could take several years. Meanwhile, if you've been seduced by the message that soy is the healthy 21st-century superfood, read on...

Is soy bad for you?

It contains high quantities of various toxic chemicals, which cannot be fully destroyed even by the long cooking process. These are: phytates, which block the body's uptake of minerals; enzyme inhibitors, which hinder protein digestion; and haemagluttin, which causes red blood cells to clump together and inhibits oxygen take-up and growth. Most controversially of all, soy contains high levels of the phytoestrogens (also known as isoflavones) genistein and daidzein, which mimic and sometimes block the hormone oestrogen.

Surely, the Japanese eat huge quantities of soy, and as a result have low rates of breast, uterus, colon and prostate cancers?

That's the big myth on which the idea of 'healthy' soy is built. In fact, the Japanese don't eat that much soy: a 1998 study showed that a Japanese man typically eats about 8g (2 tsp) a day, nothing like the 220g (8oz) that a Westerner could put away by eating a big chunk of tofu and two glasses of soy milk.

Secondly, although Japanese people may have lower rates of reproductive cancers, this is thought to be due to other dietary and lifestyle factors: they eat less fatty meat, more fish and vegetables and fewer tinned or processed foods than in a typical Western diet. Thirdly, Asians have much higher rates of thyroid and digestive cancers, including cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver and esophagus. See Learn The Truth About The Historical Use Of Soy

I'm vegetarian and eat loads of tofu and soy milk. Should I stop?

Soy has become vegetarians' meat and milk, the major source of protein in their diet. But eating soy actually puts vegetarians at severe risk of mineral deficiencies, including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and especially zinc. According to Dr Mike Fitzpatrick, a New Zealand biochemist who runs a soy information website (see below), this is because soy contains high levels of phytic acid, which blocks the absorption of essential minerals in the digestive tract. To reduce the effects of a high-phytate diet, you need to eat, as the Japanese do, lots of meat or fish with tiny bits of soy.

I'm intolerant to cow's milk, so should I drink soy milk instead?

Soy has become the fashionable option for people 'intolerant' to dairy products. It's little known that soy is the second most common allergen. Only 1 per cent of the population is truly allergic to cows' milk and, of those, two-thirds will also be intolerant to soymilk. In addition, soy milk is high in aluminum. That's because the soy protein isolate it's made from is acid-washed in aluminum tanks. No wonder it tastes bad.

Can soy affect your thyroid?

It's been known for years that phytoestrogens in soy depress thyroid function. In Japan, 1991 research showed that 30g of soy a day results in a huge increase in thyroid-stimulating hormone. This can cause goiter, hypothyroidism, and auto-immune thyroid disease.

I'm pregnant. Should I avoid soy?

Probably, and especially if you're vegetarian. A new study of babies born to vegetarian mothers showed that baby boys had a five-fold risk of hypospadias, a birth defect of the penis. The researchers suggest this was due to greater exposure to phytoestrogen rich-foods, especially soy. Inappropriate hormone levels such as that caused by a high intake of soy during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy can also cause damage to the fetus's developing brain.

But surely I can feed my baby soy formula? It must be safe: it's available in every supermarket and chemist (pharmacy).

Soy-fed babies are taking part in 'a large, uncontrolled and basically unmonitored human infant experiment', said Daniel Sheehan, director of the FDA's National Center for Toxicological Research, in 1998. A newborn baby's sole food is the milk it drinks: a soy-fed baby receives the equivalent of five birth control pills' worth of estrogen every day, according to Mike Fitzpatrick. These babies' isoflavone levels were found to be from 13,000 to 22,000 times higher than in non-soy fed infants.

As a result of this phytoestrogen overload, soy-fed babies have a two-fold risk of developing thyroid abnormalities including goitre and auto-immune thyroiditis. Boys risk retarded physical maturation, while girls risk early puberty (1 per cent of girls now show signs of puberty, such as breast development or pubic hair, before the age of three) and infertility. Researchers have also suggested that diabetes, changes in the central nervous system, extreme emotional behavior, asthma, immune system problems, pituitary insufficiency and IBS may be caused by high phytoestrogen intake in early life.

Last year, compounds in soy were also implicated in the development of infantile leukaemia. Current government (UK) advice is that breast is best and that soy formula should not be given to infants unless on the advice of a health professional.

Can soy help with prostate cancer?

Ex-junk bond trader Michael Milken certainly thinks so. He consumes 40g of soy protein every day with that hope in mind. The science is less conclusive - a recent study on Japanese-Americans living in Hawaii showed that men who had eaten two or more servings of tofu a week during mid-life not only had 'accelerated brain ageing', and more than twice the incidence of Alzheimer's and dementia, but also looked five years older than those men who didn't.

My mother died of breast cancer and I've been advised by both mainstream and complementary medical sources that increasing my soy intake may offer me protection against the disease. Is this true?

The evidence is highly inconclusive. In The Breast Cancer Protection Diet , published last year, Dr Bob Arnot states that eating between 35g and 60g of soy protein daily protects against breast cancer by raising intake of the estrogen-blocker genistein. But this ignores contrary evidence. In 1996, research showed that women eating soy had an increased incidence of epithelial hyperplasia, a condition that presages malignancy. In 1997, genistein in the diet was also found to stimulate human breast cells to enter the cell cycle. As a result, the researchers advised women not to eat soy products to prevent breast cancer.

But surely soy prevents osteoporosis, the bone thinning that particularly affects post-menopausal women?

No. In fact, soy blocks calcium and causes a deficiency of vitamin D, both of which are needed for strong bones, say American nutritionists and soy debunkers Sally Fallon and Mary G Enig.

Is there any kind of soy product I can safely eat?

Yes. Fermented soy products, such as soy sauce, tempeh and miso. The long fermentation process counteracts the effects of natural toxins in soy.

Can I avoid soy?

It's hard. You can stop eating the obvious candidates such as soy milk and tofu, but soy is also to be found in breakfast cereals, ice cream, convenience food such as hamburgers, fish fingers and lasagna, and all manner of baked goods from cakes and biscuits to tortillas and bread. If that's your mission in life, read labels carefully, and eat organic processed foods wherever possible.

Finally, the pro-soy lobby always says that, in the US, a quarter of the population has been fed infant soy formula for 30 to 40 years, with no adverse health problems. So why should I worry?

Scientists are only just beginning to research and understand the harmful long-term effects that eating large quantities of soy can have on the human body. As Fallon and Enig write: 'The industry has known for years that soy contains many toxins. At first they told the public that the toxins were removed by processing. Then they claimed that these substances were beneficial.' Sounds like there's a big battle ahead.
    Text and website HERE: http://www.the7thfire.com/health_and...about_soy.html

The Soy Conspiracy
    Kaayla T. Daniel, Ph.D. Exposes the Whole Soy Story
    by Chris Shugart

If you listen to the popular press and most "health food" makers, then you probably think that soy is a revolutionary food that every woman should be consuming. But now the scientific community is starting to take a closer look at this so-called miracle food. What they're finding is very, very disturbing.

MuscleWithAttitude.com sat down to talk with Dr. Kaayla Daniel about this subject. Dr. Daniel has written an explosive book about soy called The Whole Soy Story. Here's what she had to say about this increasingly controversial food.

Muscle With Attitude: First off, why write a book on soy?

Dr. Kayla Daniel: I decided to write this book because I saw so many clients and friends suffering while on vegetarian and near-vegetarian diets. Most often the chief culprit was soy. The Whole Soy Story is based on my dissertation so there never was any question that I'd have to base every claim on hard science.

MWA: Let's back up and talk about what soy is and where it comes from.

Dr. Daniel: Soybeans are beans that grow in fuzzy green pods. Soybeans come in many colors but most are a yellowish tan color and marked with a single, distinctive black eye — nature's way perhaps of giving us a warning!

Traditionally, Asia soybean plants weren't grown to be eaten but to be used as "green manure" — as a cover crop designed to be plowed under to enrich the soil between plantings of the crops that would be used for food. It wasn't until the Chiang Dynasty (1134-246 BC) that the Chinese came up with the fermentation methods needed to tame the soybean's undesirable elements and make it into a food.

The soybean paste known as miso came first, followed by soy sauce, which was discovered as part of the miso-making process. Other soy foods such as tofu, tempeh, and natto came much later, around 1000 AD.

In the West, the soybean has mostly been used for its soy oil, which is what you get in most products labeled vegetable oil, margarine, or shortening. Soy here is a product of the industrial revolution, an opportunity for technologists to develop cheap meat substitutes, to find clever ways to hide soy in familiar food products, to formulate soy-based pharmaceuticals, and to develop a plant-based renewable resource that could replace petroleum-based plastics and fuels.

MWA: So how did soy become known as such a "health" food?

Dr. Daniel: For years, the soy protein left over from soy oil extraction went exclusively to animals, poultry, and more recently fish farms. The problem is that only so much soy can be used in the feeds before the animals start developing serious reproductive and other health problems. So the soy industry still had a lot left over and decided to start marketing it as a "people feed."

MWA: I remember first seeing soy as an ingredient in cheap dog foods. How did it go from dog food to people food?

Dr. Daniel: Well, for this to succeed, they had to improve soy's image from that of a poverty food or hippie food. Back in 1975 a top-gun marketer hired by the soy industry recommended that the fastest way to get poor and middle class people to accept a product was to have it consumed on its own merit — not just because it was "cheap" — by people who were affluent enough to buy any foods that they wanted. Accordingly, soy is aggressively marketed as an upscale "health food."

The United Soybean Board has targeted key influences such as food manufacturers, chefs, dietitians, editors, writers etc., has aggressively lobbied in Washington and has invested millions in medical research. They spent more than a million dollars on establishing the FDA's spurious cholesterol lowering heart claim alone. The campaign has been nothing less than brilliant.

MWA: Generally speaking, why are you suggesting that everyone avoid soy?

Dr. Daniel: Most of us don't need to avoid it completely — and a good thing too since it's in just about everything these days — Bumblebee canned tuna, Hershey's chocolate, readymade spaghetti sauces, muffins... Soy can be found in more than 60 percent of the goods sold in supermarkets. Anyone who's eating processed, packed or canned foods is probably getting some hidden soy. It's even been called the "stealth ingredient."

The people who need to avoid soy completely are people with soy allergies. These people can experience adverse reactions from even a trace of soy.

For the rest of us, the goal would be to avoid modern soy products like readymade foods such as energy bars, veggie burgers, "low-carb" pastas, chilis, and other things containing soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, texturized vegetable protein, or other industrial-age soy products.

The soy industry has convinced a lot of people that anything with soy in it must be super healthy. The truth is these are highly processed junk foods. I also recommend against soy milk and other soy dairy products. The problem goes beyond soy. Take a good look at the ingredient list of soy milk or soy ice cream. Lotta sugar!

...MWA: Let's talk about how soy affects men and women. Let's start with men. Why should they avoid soy?

Dr. Daniel: Soy lowers Testosterone levels! Just about all soy products on the market contain the phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) known as isoflavones. Plant estrogens have lowered Testosterone levels in rats, monkeys, and other animals as well as humans. For grown men, this usually leads to decreased libido and lower sperm count. There's an old wives tale that Japanese women punish their straying husbands by feeding them a lot of tofu!

We can joke about that but not about the effect on baby boys fed soy formula. Pediatricians are reporting more and more cases of emasculated boys reaching puberty with breasts and tiny penises. Undescended testicles are also far more common than they were in the past.

Remember too that soy estrogens damage far more than the reproductive system. The thyroid is usually hurt first, leading to loss of energy, weight gain, depression, lethargy and a host of other symptoms.

MWA: That's frightening! Although you'd never hear this in the popular press, soy isn't good for women either, is it?

Dr. Daniel: Many men have avoided soy because they've had the idea — rightly as it turns out — that "real men don't eat tofu." Women, on the other hand, have been sold on the idea that soy will fix anything that ails them.

I've worked with a lot of female clients who've been purposefully adding large doses of soy to their diets. A lot of them chug soy milk morning and evening and eat energy bars on the run. When they come to me, they complain of fatigue, depression, hair loss, poor skin, and diminished sex drive. When I encourage them to go to their doctors to have their thyroids tested, they almost always are diagnosed with low thyroids — hypothyroidism.

Women who eat a lot of soy are also more likely to have reproductive system problems — heavier menstrual flow, increased cramping, infertility, as well as the loss of sex drive mentioned earlier. There are increasing reports of a painful urinary tract condition known as interstitial cystitis and a painful condition called vulvodynia or vulvardynia. This last refers to pain of the external female genitals — excruciating pain that's often so severe that sex is impossible.

Finally, we're getting more and more reports of vegan mothers giving birth to sons with hypospadias.

MWA: I hate to ask, but what is that?

Dr. Daniel: That's an estrogen-induced birth defect in which the opening of the penis is on the underside, located anywhere from near the tip of the penis to right up at the crotch. These cases are tragic. Although estrogens in the environment have also been implicated, it's prudent for pregnant women to avoid ingesting soy estrogens.

MWA: What about soy in infant formulas?

Dr. Daniel: Infants on soy formula are extremely vulnerable. Remember that soy formula constitutes most if not all of their diets. Based on figures from the Swiss Federal Health Service, some of my colleagues have calculated that an infant on soy formula is getting the hormonal equivalent of the estrogen found in three to five birth control pills every day!

That's a lot of estrogen, and this amount is especially dangerous for infants whose very development requires the right hormones in the right place at the right time.

Studies on rats, sheep, monkeys and other animals suggest that the estrogens in soy infant formula can irreversibly harm the baby's later sexual development. And this is exactly what we're hearing from both parents and pediatricians.

Did you know that baby boys are supposed to experience a Testosterone surge during the first few months of life and in the large amounts you'd expect from a grown man? Most people don't, but all that Testosterone is needed to program the boy for puberty, the time when his sex organs should develop and he should grow facial and pubic hair and start speaking with a deep voice. If receptor sites intended for the hormone Testosterone are occupied by soy estrogens, however, appropriate development may be delayed or never take place.

For girls, soy formula has the opposite effect. It's likely to accelerate puberty and may cause reproductive difficulties later in life. The studies which supposedly prove that infants on soy formula develop normally consider only height, weight and other measurements of growth as measured in infancy and early childhood. Many of the negative effects don't become obvious until puberty.

MWA: Let me play devil's advocate a minute. One of the arguments for soy out there always brings up the apparent health and longevity of soy-eating Asian cultures. What do you say to that?

Dr. Daniel: First of all, Asia is a huge continent. It includes people of very different cultures with widely varying dietary customs and health records.

If we look at the statistics for cancer and other diseases, we discover that certain types of cancer are more prevalent in the United States than in, say, China, and vice versa. Though the soy industry likes to take credit for the good news, it consistently neglects to mention the bad. And for all anyone knows, the good news could be attributed to other dietary or lifestyle influences. Claims that soybeans have been a major part of the Asian diet for more than 3000 years, or from "time immemorial" as we sometimes hear, are also simply not true.

The main point I want to make is that Asians don't actually eat very much soy. Peter Golbitz, of Soyatech Inc, a soy-industry information center based in Maine, reports that the average consumption per year in China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan ranges from 9.3 grams to 36 grams per day. Compare that to a single cup of tofu that weighs in at 252 grams and think about the people you know who are eating soy every day, several times a day.

Others too have reported that Asians eat very little soy. When T. Colin Campbell of Cornell University traveled around China to survey the dietary habits of 6,500 adults in 130 rural villages, he reported that they ate an average of 12 grams of legumes per day. Probably only about one third of this amount is soy. For some inexplicable reason he never got the figures on soy alone.

Finally, keep in mind that the type of food Asians eat is very different from the soy that's appearing on the American table. Think small amounts of old-fashioned whole soy products like miso and tempeh, not soy sausages, soy burgers, chicken-like soy patties, TVP chili, tofu cheesecake, packaged soymilk or any other of the ingenious new soy products that have infiltrated the American marketplace.

Full Article HERE: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1512419

A worthwhile read. Please take the time to check it out.

Author of the book's site here: http://www.wholesoystory.com/index.php?pageID=Home
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Feel bad suddently...

About the Asians not eating so much Soy well it's gotta depend on where you go coz in my family in law there is soy everyday, she buys a delicious fresh soy milk everyday, and in all cafés you can typically order a fresh soy milk, and in all restaurant you can eat 100ds of different Tofu dishes...

So i'm left with a dilemma. Should I refuse to drink her milk although I love it, should I stop ordering Soy drinks although I adore it and should I stop ordering my favourite dish which is fried tofu...

Man, I don't care, I could die for a Fried Tofu in spicy green sauce and Mushrooms...If it kills me, well it won't kill me more than the oxygen I breathe now...

But regarding the Soy proteins, which are unnatural, I am quite suspiscious now...I was wondering how come were they so cheap compared to the whey proteins...There's got to be a reason...
    The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

I imagine that at this point is soy's popularity, there are plenty who are cashing in, regardless of race. I'm sure if you went back 20 or 30 years you'd see quite a difference. Obviously they would not have cafes for starters, lawl

I mean I'm asian, and my mom makes her own soy milk and soy products, but there is a huge difference from eating soy like the majority of the asian population and eating soy like an asian-american.

Comment

I wouldn't attach a lot of weight to any of this. I've seen these sorts of commentaries over the years, on many, many different types of foodstuffs and drugs, most of which end up basically being nothing. You get a few people who try to create a bandwagon to make themselves famous on, based on a few occasional reports about some bad outcome that they seem to focus on. If you really wanted to do so, you can rip apart any basic sort of foodstuff, make websites on them, and do the lecture circuit.

Soy has been used for hundreds, if not thousands of years, by a population of people that far outnumbers most others. All foods and chemicals can be found to have adverse reactions associated with them; all things taken in excess can lead to problems.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

And as far as the "Asians don't eat that much soy" thing, let me just say, THAT'S CRAZY !!!!

In Japan, yes. I noticed that most restaurants don't serve large amounts of soy in the're dishes. But in China,,,,, Shiiiiiiiiiitttt.... Every day our cafeteria serves numerous dishes where soy based things (soy protien, tofu, etc.) is the main ingredient. For example, "fried tofu and green pepers". We have it almost every day here. I ate soy all the time in the U.S.. One of my favorite restaurants in the U.S. is a vegan place that does mock meat dishes with various soy products. But I can honestly say that my soy consumption has gone up considerably since I've been living here.

Is that a bad thing. Who knows. My penis hasn't shrunk and I'm still hairy as hell so,,,,,
          "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Doc, did you read their arguments? I agree with you that both camps are probably overshooting their respective extremes, but the exact same argument you mentioned was addressed. I also think you may be too hastily writting this off and as a result are causing an injustice.

Baiwanxi, I'm sure soy has been on the menu in China for centuries. I just don't think that it was at any sort of magnitude that it is now. I'm just speculating, since soy popularity and profitabilty has only recently gone through the roof.

Comment

I've read their arguments.

I've seen it before. With respect to all sorts of things, even in the field of modern western medicine, in the scientific journals. I think they're "over reacting". Some people just have to make claims, either because they've been hurt by something that they don't understand, or they want their five minutes of fame.

Again, soy products are rampant in China. I think the air pollution, smoking, and poor sanitary conditions cause far more problems than their daily dose of tofu.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I agree with that...

I think this article tends to examine a certain population who "sworn their lifes to soy" after the 60ies (when everything that came from the west was said SO much better and SO much healthier) when it came out as a miracle product and bought soy here, soy there, and ended up eating only soy as a protein supplement...Saying it was all so healthy etc...

I think this study is interesting in the way it shows that like every ingredient, Soy also has its negative points, it's far from being the perfect source of nutrition that it has been so praised for. It also is quite a pretentious study, after reading it one might as well militate for the extermination of all soy beans in the world...But I'd rather see them exterminate Tabacco and Opium fields?!(no actually it's good to have them, it regulates the Death Birth quota to a certaine extent lol)...

Also, from my Sister in Law who is in her 7th year of Medecine, she tells me how many of the healthiest people die from cancers (non smokers, non alcohoolic, non everything...). Its also a matter of genetic and resistance. Some are more vulnerable to some products than others, and vice versa.

Truely, eating too much of anything has got to have negative effects at a certain moment, my father knew someone who drank too much carrot juice and died fro a sirosis (lazy to check hope the word is right), in other word, he ****ed his liver up and died...Sad innit? Carrot seems to be a healthy veg but too much carrot can kill you...ETC
                The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

Gotta agree with yall there.

Comment

Damn ! I bet Bugs Bunny's liver must be all jacked up !!!! Mmmmmm carrot juice is gooooood. Been a while since I've even eaten a carrot.

Hey Doc., you know anything about that 'ol tale of carrots improving your vision ? I used to eat carrots by the pound thinking that if I did I could see in the dark, theirfor becoming a better ninja ! Seriously, that what I believed. My friend Brian and I were going to be ninjas when we grew up.

Comment

Well, carrots will give you good dumps in the morning, but, unless your diet is deficient in vitamin A, they probably won't help your vision much.

You should still be ninjas when you grow up. I wouldn't mind being one when I grow up.

russbo.com

Comment

I wonder if ninjas get a 401 K ? And what kind of benefit package do you think they get, I mean, they must have a good health care plan ! I'm definitely not going to risk getting ran through by a sword without a good health care plan !

Comment

While we're on the subject, have they figured out if milk is good for you yet?

Comment

Ninja's don't get good health care plans. It's too expensive for them, being in a "high risk" field. Now, if you're an illegal immigrant ninja, then, find some stupid American bitch to marry, get your green card, and get onto the US "Save the Ninjas's and other illegals" welfare system.

Many European countries, as well as the US, have this sort of program.

Oh, and if you are a "ninja to be" that smokes, and you eat lots of carrots, you're going to have a greater chance of developing lung cancer. Not a good thing; coughing ninja's tend to get caught.

No one is sure why the excess Vitamin A or beta carotene does that, just in case you're a curious ninja.

And if you eat lots and lots of carrots, you can be a yellow ninja. Too much beta carotene can cause skin discoloration. Kind of goes well with the black outfit, if you ask me.

russbo.com

Comment

The contrast is very eye appealing.

Comment

Working...
                              X