Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upon arrival in Dengfeng, a few questions if you please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upon arrival in Dengfeng, a few questions if you please.

I Have decided like so many others to travel to china to study shaolin gong fu. At first, I went for the usual Siping and Yantai academies, then I found your extremely helpful site. After viewing endless threads on different schools, I have decided to go to Dengfeng with no prior arrangements, find a hotel somewhere and spend a few days observing schools before I choose one. Please inform me if this is naive. I have a few questions for those of you in the know:

1. Upon arriving in Dengfeng, will it be easy to locate the area where most schools are situated or is it a big city in which one could easily get lost?

2. In your experience (those of you who have been there), are hotel rooms generally easy to find or should prior arrangements be made?

3. Do schools in the area generally have waiting lists or is it possible to just 'turn up', and enroll?

4. I read that someone named YanZhang runs a good school (this is according to one of the members of this site Hei hu I think his name was) does anyone know the address and whether this place in particular requires booking prior to attendance as I would like to seek it out.

Thankyou those of you that can help.

One more thing

How can the video library be accessed, whenever I click on it, I get sent to the Forum library. My computing skills are rather naff by the way.

Comment

You're not naive. You're smart.

You have to be registered to enter the Video Library. Not sure why you get bounced out, I'll check it.

1. It's a big city, kind of. Schools are everywhere, even in places, such as people's houses. You can probably learn some kung fu in the Feng Yuan whorehouse, uh, hair salon, if you ask.

2. Go to the Feng Yuan Hotel, on the main street down the block from the hospital, across from the TCM hospital. I don't know the manager there anymore(he's in the new upscale and more expensive hotel now, I forget the name, oh, Shaolin International?), and get a room there for a few nights. It's one of the better options. I lived there for almost two years...

3. No waiting lists, but you're gonna deal with some bullshit, even if you can find someone that is in charge, or someone that speaks English.

4. Not sure if YanZhang is still running his school. He's south of the main traffic circle in the old military base. Or was. It's a good place.

I suggest, for the time being, go to Decheng's school. Get in any taxi or tuk tuk, ask for "Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan". Most know of it. He's there now. He just called me today. There are other foreigners there also, that speak English, an American from Illinois, and a British kid, both of whom I sent. Tell Decheng I sent you, he'll give you a better rate. He'll also set you up in his new building, which has hot water, showers, western toilets, etc. Much better facility than just about all the other schools in the area, with the exception of the expensive rooms at the wushu guan. If you have any trouble, contact me.

Get started with him, get training, and in your spare time look around Dengfeng. I think you'll eventually agree that you found the right place, but, you have to make that decision.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Thanks, that was extremely helpful. just one more thing, is De cheng's school expensive? Also, should I tell him that Doc sent me or does he know you by a different name?

Comment

Getting to De Cheng's school

Agree with Doc go to De Cheng's. He now has a lot of returning students which is probably one of the best reccomendations you can get. Yes i'm one of them.
          If you can't get the taxi to understand "Shi De Cheng" (You do have to get your tones right!) ask for the Yu Shan Zhai jiu dian, which is the hotel he uses, it's good and slightly cheaper than the FengYuan. Shi De Cheng's new foriegner accomodation is about 200m further up the main road, opposite side of the road, you'll see people training outside, ( possibly not on a Monday) pink building "Chan" and "Wu" written on the windows, altery thing in the entrance/training hall. It's just about the last building on the edge of town before the fields.
          By the way his new accomodation has got to be the best price/quality deal in Dengfeng at the moment, it's basic but clean, western toilet, hot water, internet connection, three training halls, good food (Shi De Cheng usually eats with his students if he is in town), attentive instructors.
          If you book to stay for a couple of weeks they will collect you from the airport or train station at Zhengzhou (2hrs away). He's pretty Buddhist about people going to try out other schools, or perhapes he knows what they are going to find out, so it's really a good place to start.. and come back to.

Comment

The prices are pretty basic for studying in China. Like Doc said, you can get a discount by mentioning his name. Not that I've studied there, but that's what I understand. There is a price list for his school that Doc posted on here somewhere, I forget where. Sorry....
            "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

He knows me as "Rich". "From Las Vegas".

And maybe as doc as well, but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck, let me know if you need any help. I'm just a few countries and a phone call away.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for your help ladies and chaps.

Comment

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this.Thank's for sharing.

Here is My Homepage: basketball betting sites

Comment

Working...
                  X