Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is shalolin good for self defence

is shaolin good for self defence

No, not at all. It's just a bunch of eastern hocus-pocus dancing and prancing. If you really want to learn self defence, learn to TANGO!

Comment

depends on who your learning from I guess. Most teachers of "Shaolin" are complete fakers and are only teaching wushu or some other crap... I think there are still a few teachers around that teach some traditional shaolin that could be effective in a fight though..
      The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

m then yes .... i am learning from a master so i should be able 2 fight

Comment

but wat i am really asking is it good vs other marshels arts

Comment

Woot, I hope this helps you.

you asked if shaolin was good for self defense, if you get into a fight today, and today is your first day of training, probably not.

but if you take your studies seriously, in time you may learn to posess great skill.

each martial artist has their own focus when training. when two people trained to fight, come to the place where they have to fight it is oftimes the fighter with the most determination to win that will carry out the mission.

there's a lot more to it than that, but your studies should bring you to the answers you need.

peace

onefocus

Comment

One thing I would like to mention is that make sure you find a traditional teacher who will engage in not only the forms and techniques but also well-rounded conditioning and sparring like sanshou/sanda.
              "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

wat type of conditoning are u talking about?

Comment

general physical conditioning. anywhere from running, to push ups, ab work, etc.
                  "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

wouldent that be something i do at home?

Comment

Of course, but many instructors will also have you do conditioning in class as well. But if you're not doing cardio activity already, you should start.

Comment

in class we start by a run then we do kicks cartwheals ect. off a mat the we do high kick and stretch is that good? and how much cardeo should i do atm i bick like 10-15 miles 1-3 times a week is that good enogh?

Comment

is that good enough

whoot your teacher has plotted your course, now pay attention to what you are learning and you will know if what you are doing is good enough, as you so casually put it. martial arts aint no overnight thing. a good fighter studies, an excellent fighter studies fighting. bring a lunch. its a long study.

here's the bottom line

you do as much as you can when you work out, the when you think you cant do anymore, do one or five extra. and keep doing that until that's easy for you then add a new five. (whatever exercise you are doing) .

but for now, listen to your teacher above anyone. if he's a good one, he'll show you what you need to know without hurting you too much.

have fun, learn, study.

peace, onefocus.

Comment

No. Not really.

If you want to learn martial arts for the sole purpose of self defense, study jiu jitsu, muay thai, or krav maga.

If you want to cultivate your body and mind, and delve into the world of chan buddhism, than shaolin is an appropriate system of gongfu to study.
                            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

DDJ's got a good point. If you really wanna know how to fight, it would be better to stay away from a Traditional art. MMA, BJJ, muay thai, krav maga, judo, kickboxing, boxing, and even san soo are better options. Depending on who teaches it, look into JKD, Kali, and Silat as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X