Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaolin wugulun

hey guys
    just joined your little community here and looking for a bit of info if anyone can help me out?
    just looking for some people that have trained at shaolin wugulun shi xing xiao's school. i have checked their website and scoured the net for details but other than the standard havnt come across much, hust hoping to find some people that have trained there that can give me some info on what they learned how they found the teachings ( martial, buhddist and tcm if any ) also how many people were training there and any general school related info that may come in handy.
    any info will be greatly appreciated
    p.s sory if someone has posted this already i searched the site but came up with nothing

What's their website?

There are literally thousands of these schools in China...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I emailed with the translator girl who works there. She told me there were only 15 people training at wugulun school at the moment. 5 of them were westerners.

The school seems to be very different from all the others.
      They don`t really allow everybody to come and train, whereas on other school you can as long as you put money on the table .

Good luck and have fun training there!

for doc: www.shaolinwugulun.org

Comment

yeah i have also emailed them and been " accepted" but really not sure what to expect. she told me some prices such as 5000 rmb per month which seems to about the standard price ( however i think it could be suject to some bargaining). i was just looking for some insight if anyone has any on the daily trainning and how well they teach you as it seems to be promoted as being very old school and back to the nuts and bolts which would be awsome but from past training experience doing this kind of training for more than a few hours a day is almost imposibble (almost) also ive been told you can learn shaolin basic tcm through the school and wondered how the buddhism is dirested as de jian, xing xiao's shifu is one of the most honorable real monks of the temple.
        anymore info would be great guys
        thanks heaps

Comment

sorry one more thing they also have a shifu there called wenjie does anyone know of him?

Comment

Originally posted by wuseng33
            yeah i have also emailed them and been " accepted" but really not sure what to expect. she told me some prices such as 5000 rmb per month which seems to about the standard price
            Congratulations, lol. "Accepted" and it's over 600 dollars a month.

Do you actually think they turn people away?

This appears to be the same stuff, no different than any other school you'll find in Dengfeng. Don't get too hung up on what you see in websites. God knows we've seen the "web site mania" with the Siping people before, over and over again.

You need to pick a school based upon your visiting it, and other people's recommendations.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

600 dollars is close to what i got paid for a month's work in china -- the average would be around 200 for chinese. got to wonder why chinese aren't enrolling, or, at least what they're paying? honestly, i can't believe people pay those prices. it's absolutely crazy, in my opinion.

even if the rent was 1000rmb a month (for a dorm: very expensive)

the training 1000rmb (half of the annual salary of the average beijinger: very expensive)

and the food 1000rmb (a meal costs 1 to 5rmb: very expensive)

it would be closer to US350.... unbelievable....! seems people could easily make a living of the shoulders of 5 or so students..
              ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

hahaha yes " accepted " i was being cynical thats why i put the " " around it!
                and i do agree that this price is outragous!!!!! also why i said it may subject to negotiations or bargaining or something to that description. this is why i posted here to see if any one has trained there how they found it and also how much they payed. keep the coments coming it is interesting to see what people have to say that is why i posted and if anyone has any real info on the school that will be great too.
                ps. i havent paid a cent yet and nor would i im just sussing it out as i have a long holiday period coming up
                thanks guys

Comment

Well, I haven't had a chance to look at the videos, but I'm not surprised that they advertise "traditional" Shaolin gong fu... We've made quite the discussion about the loss of "traditional" shaolin over the years, and noteworthy is even the abbot's response by making the biannual wushu festival, the "traditional" festival now. The Chinese watch what the foreigners want, and eventually "respond".

Comically, most, if not all of the Xing generation "monks", have been brought up in a more modern wushu oriented training. Typical traditional training resided mostly with the De generation, from fifteen to twenty years ago. These "masters" (they all want to be called that too, lol) seem young, too young to have missed the emphasis on competitive wushu in their training.

There are thousands of these schools in China; they open and close every day. These guys have finally learned the power of the internet, and have discovered that having an English based website is the key to getting students. Just because they're savvy enough to do that does not mean that they "teach traditional", "teach well", or are not there to rip people off. We've seen this far too many times in the past.

Remember something. These guys act like "monks" as much as I behave as well as the pope. Also, the Chinese are budding capitalists, who really don't understand the capitalist business system. Screwing people to get a quick buck is not beyond virtually ANY mainland Chinese I've ever met, "monk" or no monk.

Be careful. Keep low expectations. Be flexible. Always question.

russbo.com

Comment

yeah doc i definatly agree with you i have been traveling through china before and they can be absolutly ruthless!!! as you said the xing gen is a very wushu orientated gen but it also has some of the last tradionally trained masters who very rarely teach if at all but these are few and far between. shi xing xiao i am lead to beleive i do say "lead" is one of the few as he is a deciple of shi de jian, however xing xiao is also in the 3 tigers of shaolin book which is where i start to wonder how much traditional and how much wushu is going on or has he reformed from his wushu days. i also beleive that suxi had a big influence on him as he was the cheif carer of him in his later years. soo i guess its up to the punters to try it out to put it to the test hopefully somebody knows something about it. i have to also say that most the forms on the website are traditional forms and i have learnt a selection of them myself but this says nothing as i have heard of many masters in china after the quick buck picking up forms from watching dvds to teach which is hardly mastery of anything other than the slomo on the dvd player!!!
                    thanks for the comments and keep them comin!

Comment

Xing Hong was one of the "tigers", and also claims to have had Su Xi as his master; however, as I've noted in the past, Xing Hong's training, in my opinion, seemed to lean more towards a watered down version of some of the forms, some of which he did himself to "make them faster", some of them altered because of his upbringing in the more modern wushu context. Remember, Su Xi, when these guys were learning, was wheelchair bound. He wasn't teaching much of anything to this generation.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                        The Chinese watch what the foreigners want, and eventually "respond".
                        So this would mean they probably DO teach relatively traditional stuff, right?

Good point though, why are there so few chinese students at the school...

Comment

not necessarily. it's much easier to substitute one word for another, that is, wushu for "traditional," in order to appeal to the masses. if you were never taught it, how would you be able to teach it? -- unless, of course, history is ssomehow changed... in your favor....
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

as far as traditional goes xing xiao seems to have trained under 2 great mastes at least in de jian and zhang qing he i would expect that this would transfer through to his kung fu especially teaching things like xinyi ba, thats if they do infact teach it as im lead to beleive that it is one of the highest skills in shaolin and masters that know it are ver reluctant to teach it.

Comment

I'm not sure how anyone can quantify something as "one of the highest skills in Shaolin".

Let me be blunt. From my experience, mainland Chinese lie. They're survivors. They do what they need to do to get ahead. So, as they say in Thai law, caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware. (it's an issue in Thailand also)

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X