Kunyu Martial Arts Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kunyu Martial Arts Academy

Ireland Janice Mohan (October, 2006—July, 2007)
    mowiejan@yahoo.co.uk

As a 19-year-old girl, the decision to come to China to study Kungfu was probably the biggest and most important one I have made in my short life and it has been a most rewarding experience.

Surrounded by the beautiful Kunyu Mountains and the pleasant orchards of the local villages, the academy offered me a chance to escape from the lazy western world and enjoy the simpler, more natural side of life. Exercise, fresh air and a good academy atmosphere contribute to an all-around healthy way of life. From day one, I knew I had come to the right place and that I was going to enjoy my time here.

As a practitioner of martial arts before I came here, I knew the difficulties involved in learning. However, I was completely unprepared for the demand Kungfu would have on my body. At the academy, the daily schedule enables you to get the most out of the day. The early mornings and dare I say it, this early nights are a schedule I have adapted. The training, of course, is pretty intense… as long as you show willingness to learn and train you will be pushed even further.
    The basics and forms classes were something I enjoyed immersely. Kicks, sweeps, fist forms, weapons… I found they were truly what I had come here to learn. The more acrobatic side of things were not easy for me to pick up… I spent more time landing my bum than my feet. However, the gradual improvements I noticed each week helped lift my spirit and keep me going. Sanda, while it was not truly what a came to China for, became something I enjoyed immersely. The physical workout and the punching of heels became great for stress relief as well as a practical fighting skill. At the academy, I found the challenges of Kungfu mental as well as physical, exercising muscle and willpower, pushing my body as far as mind would allow it. The aches and pains of the first week are gradually replaced by feelings of greater flexibility and strength and an all-around better feeling in one’s self.

Of course, one of the things, which completed my stay here was the people. People come here from all over the world and it serves to make the place even more interesting. I can now claim to have friends from England, Indonesia, Africa, Iceland, America…we all come here with a common goal in mind-to study Kungfu. It may sound cliche but the academy is like one big family. It didn’t take long before I was calling it home.
    Last but not least, I must mention the masters, whom, in my opinion, are amazing. I have to especially thank my master, Wei Shifu, for his dedication to training us and his patience. His knowledge of kungfu is profound and I am grateful to him for teaching and showing me what he could in my time here.
    Over all, the nine months I have spent here have been the best of my life and now, that it comes to leaving all I won’t to do is stay.

P.S. I’d like to say a special thanks to the cleaning and cooking ladies. You gals are great, always smiling and happy.
    www.chinashaolins.com

the comment of student from Kunyu Mountain Martial Arts Academy

Jason(14months 2,22nd, 2006—4,21st,2007)
    Jason Gani (February 2006 – April 2007) jay_gani@hotmail.com

I have spent the last 14 months learning shaolin kung fu in the academy, and during this time I have learned a tremendous amount of skills and abilities. I learned 16 forms in total: 1 ba ji form, 1 internal shaolin form, several shaolin fist forms, several weapon forms including staff, sword, spear, short staff and 3 section staff forms. Besides learning those forms, I also learned many jumps, acrobatics and various stretching methods. They include jumping front kick, whirlwind kick, cartwheel, jumping side kick, jumping split kick, front handspring, lotus kick, butterfly, back flip, back handspring, front roll, back roll, various fall down techniques, kick up, and many more. We also learned various punches, kicks, and take down techniques in san da (Chinese kickboxing) class.

Besides learning those kung fu skills, staying here also exposed me and taught me how to interact better with people who come from different countries. During my stay here in the academy, I met people from England, U.S. Netherlands, South Africa, Vietnam, France, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Malaysia, Canada, Germany, Peru, Mexico, Yugoslavia, Denmark, Australia, Iceland, Italy, and many, many more. I can’t remember many of them because I met at least 100 people here. Most of the students are nice, and most of the time we get along very well. Sometimes you will meet student who is very good at other martial art. While I was here there was a guy who has done wing chun for many years and it’s nice because you’ll have a chance to talk about other martial art with other students There was also another guy who was very good at acrobatics and sometimes we practiced acrobatics together on the weekend.

I really appreciate the time I spent here in the academy, and I am very grateful to be able to learn shaolin kung fu and other kung fu like Mantis and Baji from the Master here. All of the Shaolin Masters at the academy have spent many years training in Shaolin Temple, and as far as I know, they all have done many performances and competitions while staying in the temple which means that they’re among the best monks in the temple at the time. The other Masters like BaJi Masters, and Chi Gong, mantis Masters have also practiced their kung fu for many years. It is also nice that now every time we have the test, one of the Master will also perform something for the students.

To end my story, the last 14 months has been very valuable to me. Although sometimes it is very tough to stay here that long (without family and friends, seeing many people who live with you come and go almost every week, live in a small village- far from the cities, and the difficult training we have to endure), I’m glad that I got a chance to learn all those skills I have learnt, be able to do some of those tricks that you see on the kung fu movie, live a simple life which teach me how nice it is back home, appreciate all the people around you even for such a short time. I’m also very grateful to be able to join the kung fu competition 2007 in lian yun gang, xu zou, in China just before I finish my training here. It’s a good opportunity for me to interact with and watch other Chinese kids performing their kung fu skills while also gaining experience in performing my own skills in front of hundreds audiences.

I would like to say thank you to all the Masters and all the students at the academy for all the teachings and helps that I received while I was here.
    www.chinashaolins.com

Comment

.......You spent a lot of time on Kungfu.you did a good job.

Comment

choosing a school you like is really impressive.
        some Chinese master ,I mean,you could see what the years of internal training adds to their skill. really good.

Comment

Working...
        X