Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional Choy Lay Fut or San Shou in Guangzhou?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Choy Lay Fut or San Shou in Guangzhou?

Hey everyone.....Great site by the way!

I'm traveling to Guangzhou, China soon and will stay long-term. During my stay, I would like to train at a reputable & established shool for either Northern or Southern styles.

Does anyone know of any good schools or teachers in Guangzhou (or close) that teach traditional Shaolin, Choy Lay Fut or San Shou?

Oh, anyone know the website for Shi YanZhang's school (Yes, Iknow its not in GZ)?

Thanks!!

The only times I've been to Guangzhou is through the airport on my way to HK, Guilin, Huangshan and Thailand. Big city, personally have no idea where you might find good training there.

I would suggest though, if you're going to be in the hood there, get to Huangshan and Guilin. Both truly spectacular places. Don't miss them.

Safe trip.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

The situation in Guangzhou proper from a martial arts perspective is bleak. Guangzhou is my second home. I've lived there on and off for last couple of years, and spent a couple of years there back in the 1990s. Shaolin is very thin on the ground in Guangzhou.

Foshan holds a few instructors of southern styles... but in all the time we looked into martial arts presence, we didn't find one functioning "school" let alone a "reputable or established one".

It costs a lot more to live in Guangdong than in Henan... so the people in Canton seem to be very focused on doing two things: eating & making money. You'll note that throughout China from a business perspective, the former of these two things is a precursor to the latter. Guangzhou is also a commuting town. Probably 50% or higher of people there are not Cantonese, and are there earning a living to support families in other provinces.

Ask the taxi drivers... if you use taxis exclusively, in a month or so you should find that 20% of the drivers are Henanese, and 1 or 2 of them went through Taguo / some other Dengfeng school. If you get a youngster... you'll probably be able to get one to teach you quite cheaply... if you can agree a time when they are not driving.

If you don't speak Chinese... get someone to write down two cards:

1: Are you Henanese?

2: Do you know anyone who can teach Gongfu?

and only show the second card to those comply with the first one. Fortunately, being Henanese is like admitting you come from Essex / Jersey / Tasmania, etc. Only a real Henanese will admit to coming from there.

Chicken
      ~ from Essex, married to a Henanese

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken
        so the people in Canton seem to be very focused on doing two things: eating & making money. You'll note that throughout China from a business perspective, the former of these two things is a precursor to the latter.
        Excellent summary. Of the mainland Chinese in general, LOL.

Keep that in mind when you're dealing with them.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X