X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China quake toll hits 15K; 26K believed buried

China quake toll hits 15K; 26K believed buried
    By AUDRA ANG, Associated Press Writer
    HANWANG, China - Military helicopters dropped food and medicine to Chinese earthquake survivors who remained cut off Wednesday in remote mountain villages behind roads clogged by landslides. The official death toll rose to nearly 15,000, and tens of thousands more were feared buried or missing.

As help began to arrive in some of the hardest-to-reach areas, some victims trapped for more than two days under collapsed buildings were still being pulled out alive. But the enormous scale of the devastation meant that resources were stretched thin, and makeshift aid stations and refugee centers were springing up over the disaster area the size of Maryland.

The official Xinhua News Agency quoted government officials as saying rescuers who hiked Wednesday into the city of Yingxiu in Wenchuan county — the epicenter of Monday's magnitude 7.9 quake — found it "much worse than expected."

The official death toll rose Wednesday to 14,866, Xinhua said, but it was not immediately clear if that number included the 7,700 reported dead in Yingxiu. In Sichuan province alone, another 25,788 people were buried and 14,051 missing, provincial vice governor Li Chengyun said, according to Xinhua.

The toll was expected to rise further once rescuers reach other towns in Wenchuan that remain cut off from the Sichuan provincial capital of Chengdu more than two days after the quake. Roads leading to Wenchuan from all directions were still being cleared of debris, Feng Zhenglin, deputy minister of railway and transportation, said in Beijing.

The death toll for Mianyang city was also confirmed at 5,430, up from 3,629, on Wednesday, Xinhua said, with more than 18,000 people there still thought to be buried under crushed buildings.

At a middle school Sichuan province's Qingchuan county where students were taking a noon nap when the quake demolished a three-story building, 178 children were confirmed dead in the rubble and another 23 remained missing, Xinhua said.

Storms that had prevented flights to some of the worst-hit areas finally cleared on Wednesday. Military helicopters were seen flying north over Dujiangyan, and Xinhua said two of them airdropped food, drinking water and medicine to Yingxiu.

Trains were on their way to Sichuan carrying quilts, drinking water, tents and military personnel, Ministry of Railways spokesman Wong Yongping said. All railways in the province were working except for a line where a 40-car freight train was trapped by a landslide in a tunnel and burned, he said.

Rescuers raced to save people trapped under flattened buildings.

A 34-year-old woman who was eight months pregnant was rescued after spending 50 hours under debris in Dujiangyan.

In the Beichuan region, a 3-year-old girl who was trapped for more than 40 hours under the bodies of her parents was pulled to safety, Xinhua said.

Rescuers found Song Xinyi on Tuesday morning, but were unable to pull her out right away due to fears the debris above her would collapse. She was fed and shielded from the rain until rescuers extricated her from the rubble.

Premier Wen Jiabao looked over her wounds, part of his highly publicized tour of the disaster area aimed at reassuring the public about the government's response and to show the world that the country is ready to host the Beijing Olympics in August. Wednesday's leg of the Olympic torch relay in the southeastern city of Ruijin began with a minute of silence.

Wen said some 100,000 troops and police had been dispatched to the disaster zone. He also visited a school Wednesday in Beichuan where two classroom buildings collapsed in the earthquake, including a school with 2,000 students that state TV said sustained "heavy casualties."

East of the epicenter in the town of Hanwang, the smell of incense hung over a crowd of sobbing relatives who walked among some 60 bodies wrapped in plastic, some covered with tributes of branches or flowers.

Nearby, rescuers in blue uniforms carried more bodies out of a makeshift morgue at the Dongqi sports arena. The dead appeared to have come from heavily damaged apartments and a school behind the arena, where people stood in stunned shock.

People from the town and surrounding areas packed into blue tents provided by disaster relief officials. A clock tower in the town center had stopped at 2:27, the time the quake hit.

The Mianzhu No. 3 Hospital was obliterated, and the seven-story main Hanwang Hospital collapsed, its third floor suddenly smashing to the ground. People on the upper floors climbed out on bed sheets tied together.

Surviving medical staff set up a triage center in the driveway of a tire factory, but could only provide basic care.

"The first day hundreds of kids died when a school collapsed. The rest who came in had serious injuries. There was so little we could do for them," said Zhao Xiaoli, a nurse at Hanwang Hospital, who described herself as "numb."

Emergency vehicle sirens sounded every few minutes. An ambulance drove in, delivering a man pulled from the rubble and covered in dust.

"There will be a lot more people. So many still haven't been found," said Zhao.

Residents complained that delays in aid had caused more deaths in the immediate aftermath of the quake.

Zhang Chuanlin, a 27-year-old factory worker, said his 52-year-old mother was trapped while watching television with her friend. No rescue workers were around so he started to dig by himself.

"No one was helping me and then two strangers came and dug through the rubble. They found her an hour later," he said. "When they pulled her out I couldn't look, I just couldn't look when they pulled her out."

A man who gave only his surname Li said he had suffered a double tragedy. His wife was killed while watching TV with Zhang's mother and his daughter died when her school collapsed.

The child did not die right away and could be heard saying, "Please help me daddy, please rescue me," right after the earthquake, he said, but there were no authorities to save her.

In Dujiangyan, a mother pleaded with police for information about her husband who was working in Wenchuan, blocking one of the few roads leading to the epicenter.

"I've begged and begged them to help me look for my husband," Li Zhenhua said, showing her husbands ID card to a crowd of onlookers. "I can't go by myself because I've got a little baby and elderly parents here, so I can't leave."

"The government is doing nothing for us. The government won't help us," she said, over and over.
    ZhongwenMovies.com

This probably just about could do with it's own thead, but I Just logged in to my hotmail inbox for some ironic trite distraction therapy and found this

[quote from wangyumin88@hotmail.com]

Dear friends

Thanks for your concern on the earthquake happened in China's SiChuan province on May 12th.The disastrous earthquake had resulted more than 10 thousands victims and homeless.Chinese government had sent lots of professional rescuers and Army solidiers to the sites and we are determined to save any life in any possible way.

Shaolin is about 1500 kilometers from the earthquake sites but we felt the earthquake on the same day slightly.No damage on the temple and no loss.

On 13th of May,Shaolin Temple monks made a great prayer in Shaolin to pray for the world peace,national land safe and quake victims' soul peace.

On 14th of May,Shaolin Temple monks made a Donation box and each monk donated AT LEAST RMB200,which is their one month salary.

The abbot and the monks will make further prayers and donation to help the quake area.

Thank you again.

Sincerely

Wangyumin on behalf of the Abbot Shi Yongxin of Shaolin Temple.

[end quote].

If anyone can assist with donation or physical support being local, or alternatively have another forum account elsewhere where they might like to pass on the SOS message or would just like to take a prayerful moment for it, any and all of help will be gravely appreciated and used as directly for aid of those in need right now as any donation you might ever like to give, and additionally will help provide support and take some of the hardship out of life for those who go without to give to others.
    Lest we forget.

sincerely,

amituofo.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
    Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 05-15-2008, 07:11 AM.

Comment

email I received from my uni's vice -chancellor and president

[quote]

Office of the Vice-Chancellor & President

MEMORANDUM

TO: All Staff & Students
      SUBJECT: China Earthquake Appeal

As you will be aware, areas surrounding Sichuan Province in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) suffered heavy casualties and property damage in a major earth quake earlier this week.

Bond University has strong links with Sichuan Province, particularly through the Faculty of Law, by way of staff and student exchanges and a joint degree program with South West University of Politics and Law in Chongqing.

A group of 19 Bond students and 5 staff were in Chengdu and Dujiangyan (the two large towns apparently most heavily damaged) on 27-29 April (only 16 days before the quake).

We have many friends in the affected areas and several of our undergraduate and postgraduate students also come from the affected areas.

The University has sent a message of condolence and support via the PRC Embassy and Consulate and staff and students are encouraged to assist the victims of this tragic disaster by donating to the Relief Appeal which has been established through the PRC Embassy in Canberra.

Donations may be made in two ways:
      • By making a donation at the University Cashier’s office – these donations will be consolidated and passed to the Appeal Office in Canberra, or
      • Making a donation directly to the Earthquake Relief Fund by Electronic Funds Transfer. Details regarding access to this account are shown below

The taxation status of such donations is uncertain; though the government is expected to make an announcement on this subject in the near future. Donations via the University may not be tax deductible.

I am sure that all members of the Bond community join me in expressing our best wishes to the people of China in this tragic time and I urge all staff and students to support this worthy appeal for our friends to alleviate their loss and suffering.

Professor Robert Stable
      Vice-Chancellor and President

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Embassy of the People’s Republic of China Earthquake Relief Fund
      Account Name: Embassy of The People's Republic of China in Australia Earthquake Relief Fund
      Account No. BSB: 352-000 A/C: 126512
      Bank Name: Bank of China, Sydney Branch.

[end quote]

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Just to bump this topic again, I wonder how many of us that could literally have been passing through or staying in sichuan at that time.

My chinese housemate from shandong just moments ago pointed out to me the prospective number of orphans that could have resulted from this and I wonder what could be done to help them, both now and for the future, locally there and abroad.

Apparently, I hear the death toll is now up over 50 000 as authorities begin digging mass burial pits for graves, 3/4 of some towns, like Yingxiu, all dead, and there are tens of thousands more people still missing and entombed under the rubble as time runs out for them awaiting rescue, and millions more living without any or proper shelter and on the streets. Additionally to that, at current count, at least 400 of china's reservoirs are in dangerous predicament, which even alone, without any further consideration, is just horrible if you understand how little water there is there.

The long term effects of what happens as a result of these mass numbers of deaths both in china and burma, I dont think is not something that is going to have a massive ongoing impact across the entire region. That is reeally heavy contamination and expense factor fo such a small vacinity, and without baring in mind the psychological impact on those left to witness and go through the aftermath.

Also, with the fact that an average of 50-75 % of children that end up in orphanages in china die within the first month there, and that the temples in china are also infamous for providing shelter and somewhere to stay alive and grow up for children left without anywhere else to go, even when it does mean the monks are sharing and often foresaking the little they have, yet another factor that I wouldn't look passed.

Feel free to show you care, and catch someone on something.

Happy karma to all.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
        Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 05-16-2008, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X