• Show
Clear All

• Dangerous medicine

A recent news article about a "homeopathic" remedy:
    Toad aphrodisiac kills man, NY issues warning
    Illegal product has killed others by disrupting heart rhythms
    The Associated Press
    updated 6:20 p.m. ET May 23, 2008

NEW YORK - Health officials are warning New Yorkers to stay away from an illegal aphrodisiac made from toad venom after the product apparently killed a man.

The city's poison control center issued the warning Friday after receiving a hospital report that a 35-year-old man who ingested the hard, brown substance died earlier this month.

The product is sold under names including Piedra, Love Stone, Jamaican Stone, Black Stone and Chinese Rock at sex shops and neighborhood stores. It is banned by the Food and Drug Administration.

City health officials said the victim, whose identity was not released, was admitted to the hospital complaining of chest and abdominal pain. He died two days later.

Health officials said the hardened resin, made with venom from toads of the Bufo genus, contains chemicals that can disrupt heart rhythms.

The aphrodisiac was supposed to have been applied to the skin, not eaten, but authorities said even that use can be harmful.

"There is no definitely safe way to use it," said Dr. Robert Hoffman, director of the city's poison control center. "Don't buy it. Don't sell it. If you have it, don't use it. Throw it out."

The same type of product killed a 40-year-old man in Brooklyn in 2002 and at least four New Yorkers in the early 1990s. A 17-year-old boy also fell seriously ill, but survived following hours of aggressive treatment.

Following that outbreak, city investigators went looking for the poison and found it was being sold sporadically in grocery stores, smoke shops and from street vendors.

Inspectors have been on the lookout for the stuff ever since, but identifying it isn't always easy. It is sometimes sold in packaging labeled only in foreign languages.

It is not clear how available the aphrodisiac is elsewhere in the U.S., although some similar products have been seized from suspected drug traffickers in other East Coast cities, authorities said.
    Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24797206/
    There are "sex aid" medicines in TCM. Caution should always be used when considering trying any of these while in China.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Good times. Clearly not a homeopathic though.

The principle of dilution in homeopathic medicine would make this stuff to dilute to be toxic if it was prepared properly.

I for one have never heard of this stuff. Most of the TCM sex tonics work by upregulating testosterone, containing large amounts of naturally occurring sex hormones, or stimulating increased blood production and invigorating microcirculation.

Most of them arent toxic, but taking too much of a good quality source is still capable of making someone quite irritable, and possibly induce an irregular heartbeat.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

i have a ma huang root soaking in some crap im not sure what it is for sinus colds, but man does that shit get you wired.

the stuff is banned but imo its the best for relieving sinus problems.
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

It has Ephedra in it. I've talked about this before, a long time ago, in one of my Journals. Back in China, when Decheng fired Xingwei from his employ as a coach, before I brought him to the US. I was having a meeting with Decheng to try to straighten out the issue, and had drank some medicinal tea for asthma.

Damn near had a stroke.

Careful with that shit. It works, but it's not titrated appropriately sometimes.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X