Mantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantis

Quick question about Mantis style. I love watching it but I don't really know the first thing about it. Anyone know of the practical use of the mantis hands? I'm trying to think of how they're used as weapons but I'm stumped. What's that finger sticking out supposed to achieve? And if anyone knows a good URL explaining how Mantis works I'd be grateful.

Peace

quick answer, trapping and striking...
    however the aplication of just the finger strike is well.... not too practical if you need you fingers
    practice wu de

Comment

Yes, from what little mantis I've learned in Shaolin (two forms; forget the kempo mantis I've learned), it appears that the index and middle fingers can be used for pinpoint striking to soft spots of the opponent's body, specifically the neck, eyes, armpit, supraclavicular areas, etc. But, I got the feeling that there was more emphasis on the grabbing aspect, using the downward pointing middle finger to grab either the back of the neck or an attacking arm, more specifically, the wrist.

Also, there is a striking aspect to the back of the hand, much as one would use a punch with a fist.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Mantis Style

Lipster,

here is a bit more basic info on the style.

Praying mantis style is a very famous style, developed in the 1700s by a fighter named Wang Lang. He
        supposedly developed it specifically to defeat the monks of the Shaolin Temple. The story is that he had
        been a very successful fighter who decided to test himself against the monks and failed miserably in his
        first fight. He then supposedly devoted years of his life to developing a fighting system with which he
        could defeat them. The result, we are told, is Praying Mantis style (named, it is said, the praying mantis
        whose defeat of a much larger cicada inspired Wang Lang to study its movements) The monks, in a pattern
        that was repeated many times in history, adopted the resulting style into the curriculum of the Temple.
        Praying Mantis as we learn it is a combination of a set of sophisticated deflections, counters, and grappling
        movements with Monkey style footwork. The fundamental strategy of Praying
        Mantis is to wait patiently for an opening (often in the form of an attack), then tie the opponent's arms with
        a grappling technique and strike into soft areas and nerve centers.

Doc,

you are correct with the forms for the Shaolin. They use mainly in the first two forms the index and the middle finger. However, if you delve into it moore deeply, you will then start to use the combination of thumb and index, and I can assure you, it's nasty when you get hit with it. I had the "pleasure" for instructional purposes.

Uwe

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of the various uses of the index finger, but, there are individual uses for the thumb?? I mean, other than a supporting structure for the index finger? I'm curious to hear more about that.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

some good mantis clips here - not the same i think as taught in shaolin, but northern mantis anyway

This is a good site with some info and stuff about one of the many northern mantis styles as well:

dunno if any of the clips show what you are after, coz my dial up will take too long to load them,

dave
            simple and natural is my method,
            true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Anyone know of the practical use of the mantis hands? I'm trying to think of how they're used as weapons but I'm stumped. What's that finger sticking out supposed to achieve? And if anyone knows a good URL explaining how Mantis works I'd be grateful.

Mantis hand are also used in Chin-na...
              They also created, or derived...the double knife form, it is exactly the same system, but double knife look more like a southern form.
              Anyway shaolin tang lang and tang lang itself almost have nothing to do together, yes of coursethey have but less, shaolin praying mantis use more feets and all this, praying mantis, the style itself use the feets also but less than the hand and the arm. It's difficult to explain it, I know even me I dont understand what I mean by rereading above.
              martial way is mine, death one is yours
              call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

I like answering to question of my style
                call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

here is a site of master zhong lian bao's genaration and lineag...
                  Last edited by shaolin_disciple_fei_hung; 11-26-2003, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X