Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's olympic lies

Unreported World: China's olympic lies

Reporter Aidan Hartley (pictured) discovers that ordinary Beijing citizens are being forced out of their homes to make way for the Olympic infrastructure.

And “black jails” - which the authorities deny exist - have been set up as holding pens for troublemakers.

- Beijing residences were forcibly evicted from their homes — up to 1.5 million people have been affected

- Those who dare to protest often find themselves surrounded by massive police and locked up without charge or trial in one of Beijing’s black jails, and beaten

- The documentary-makers were attacked by a dozen guards, camera smashed and were detained for six hours, because of their interview with the petitioners

I want to cry when I see so many helpless Chinese residences try to seek help from a foreign reporter by passing their appeal document to him, while surrounded and threatened by so many so-called “people’s police”.

A shameful but true living condition of Chinese people.
    [ame="http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=VYddRjk1scE&feature=related"]YouTube - China's olympic lies - part 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPjFtHGUuQ&feature=related"]YouTube - China's olympic lies - part 2[/ame]
    [ame="http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=sld68MnZSww&feature=related"]YouTube - China's olympic lies - part 3[/ame]
    ZhongwenMovies.com

Any mention of the prepubescent Chinese Olympic gymnastic team members?

If that's what people in China think sixteen year old girls look like, then there's sure to be a lot of "problems" over there...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

you make the call.

BEIJING (AP) -- Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week.

In its report Nov. 3, Xinhua identified He as one of "10 big new stars" who made a splash at China's Cities Games. It gave her age as 13 and reported that she beat Yang Yilin on the uneven bars at those games. In the final, "this little girl" pulled off a difficult release move on the bars known as the Li Na, named for another Chinese gymnast, Xinhua said in the report, which appeared on one of its Web sites, www.hb.xinhuanet.com

The Associated Press found the Xinhua report on the site Thursday morning and saved a copy of the page. Later that afternoon, the Web site was still working but the page was no longer accessible. Sports editors at the state-run news agency would not comment for publication.

If the age reported by Xinhua was correct, that would have meant He was too young to be on the Chinese team that beat the United States on Wednesday and clinched China's first women's team Olympic gold in gymnastics. He is also a favorite for gold in Monday's uneven bars final.

Yang was also on Wednesday's winning team. Questions have also been raised about her age and that of a third team member, Jiang Yuyuan.

Gymnasts have to be 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible for the games. He's birthday is listed as Jan. 1, 1992. (Judge for yourself here, and offer your reactions here.)

Chinese authorities insist that all three are old enough to compete. He herself told reporters after Wednesday's final that "my real age is 16. I don't pay any attention to what everyone says."

Zhang Hongliang, an official with China's gymnastics delegation at the games, said Thursday the differing ages which have appeared in Chinese media reports had not been checked in advance with the gymnastics federation.

"It's definitely a mistake," Zhang said of the Xinhua report, speaking in a telephone interview. "Never has any media outlet called me to check the athletes' ages."

Asked whether the federation had changed their ages to make them eligible, Zhang said: "We are a sports department. How would we have the ability to do that?"

"We already explained this very clearly. There's no need to discuss this thing again."

The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) has said repeatedly that a passport is the "accepted proof of a gymnast's eligibility," and that He and China's other gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls' passports and deemed them valid.

A May 23 story in the China Daily newspaper, the official English-language paper of the Chinese government, said He was 14. The story was later corrected to list her as 16.

"This is not a USAG issue," said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. "The FIG and the IOC are the proper bodies to handle this."

question is: how can it be proved?
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

When I was in the monastery I had met Vietnamese and other asian women that in my opinion had to be under 16 but when I asked non-chalantly (which never really was non-chalant) they turned out to be in their late 20s or 30s.

Plus all gymnasts tend to look younger than they do, especially since their female athletes.
        "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

While thats true and gymnasts look young. They have documented evidence now that 3 of the 6 chinese girls are under 16 years of age. Simple as that. One girl is like 4 foot 7 and weighs like 68 pounds. If youre 16 and weigh that much you got serious issues.
          The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

From an anatomical purview (fun to do with women), some of these Chinese girls have not yet developed typical teenage female body characteristics. And I'm not talking about breasts, because Chinese women are not famous for those.

The pelvis is what clued me in to this.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

He Ke Xin competed last year in junior nationals or something. Her age was listed as 13. Unless she aged 3 years in the past 12 months she is not 16.
              The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

IOC asks for investigation of China’s gymnasts
                By NANCY ARMOUR, AP National Writer

1 of 3 Olympics Gallery BEIJING (AP)—The International Olympic Committee said Friday it had asked gymnastics officials to investigate whether the Chinese women’s gymnastics team that won the gold medal had underage athletes, saying “more information has come to light.”

“We’ve asked the gymnastics federation to look into it further,” IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. “If there is a question mark and we have a concern, which we do, we ask the governing body of any sport to look into it.”

The IOC, which also asked the Chinese gymnastics federation to investigate, would not give details on what new information prompted it to act now, three days after the gymnastics competition ended.

Messages for the International Gymnastics Federation were not immediately returned.

Chinese coach Lu Shanzhen told The Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove the doubts about He Kexin’s age, including an old passport, a residency card and her current ID card.

He said all these documents were issued by various departments of the Chinese government and that he felt there was nothing more that they could do to put peoples’ minds at ease.

ADVERTISEMENT

The FIG has said repeatedly that a passport is the “accepted proof of a gymnast’s eligibility,” and that China’s gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls’ passports and deemed them valid.

A gymnast must be 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the games. But questions about the ages of at least three of the athletes have persisted. Online records and media reports suggest three Chinese gymnasts—He, Jiang Yuyuan and Yang Yilin—may be as young as 14.

The IOC had said previously that it had verified the passports of all athletes competing at the games.

“We are not in a position to say ‘It’s good, it’s not good.’ It’s a government document,” FIG president Bruno Grandi said earlier this week in an interview with The Associated Press.

The Chinese women won six medals, including the team gold and a gold on uneven bars by He. The media reports include a Nov. 3 story by the Chinese government’s news agency, Xinhua—that suggest He is only 14. She was asked about her age again after winning the uneven bars title, beating American Nastia Liukin in a tiebreak.

“I was born in 1992 and I’m 16 years old now,” He said Monday. “The FIG has proved that. If I’m under 16, I couldn’t have been competing here.”

Earlier this month, the AP found registration lists previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China that showed both He and Yang were too young to compete. He was born Jan. 1, 1994, according to the 2005, 2006 and 2007 registration lists. Yang was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the 2004, 2005 and 2006 registration lists; in the 2007 registration list, however, her birthday has changed to Aug. 26, 1992.

If the FIG would find evidence supporting the questions that the gymnasts are underage, it could affect four of China’s medals. In addition to the team gold and He’s gold on bars, Yang won bronzes in the all-around and uneven bars.

“We played fair at this Olympic Games,” Liukin’s father and coach, Valeri, said after they arrived back in the United States. “… If somebody cheated, shame on them.”

Added Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics, “USA Gymnastics has always believed this issue needed to be addressed by the FIG and IOC. An investigation would help bring closure to the issue and remove any cloud of speculation from this competition.”

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997.

North Korea was barred from the 1993 world championships after FIG officials discovered that Kim Gwang Suk, the gold medalist on uneven bars in 1991, was listed as 15 for three years in a row. Romania admitted in 2002 that several gymnasts’ ages had been falsified, including Olympic medalists Gina Gogean and Alexandra Marinescu.

Even China’s own Yang Yun, a double bronze medalist in Sydney, said during an interview aired on state broadcaster China Central Television that she was 14 in 2000.

Associated Press writer John Leicester and AP sports writer Steve Wilson contributed to this report.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                X