Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to train in the (???) school

Topic name says most of it;

i'd like to train for (at least) some months, just don't know where, and all the web-pages look so promising heh...

Can anyone suggest an affordable, yet worth-wile school?
    I've travelled in Asia before, i don't expect a brandclean flowery odor resort.

I've read Doc suggests Decheng's school in Dengfeng, i'm just not able to find price-rates for stays.

If anyone could be so kind to share his/her experience(s), or point me to pages that say it all,
    it would be most appreciated...

I'll make one suggestion. And one suggestion only.

Don't believe what you see on these web sites.

(Including mine... )
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Heheh, exactly why i'd like some people to tell me what's up.

So Doc, what's up? can you tell me smthing on prices on the school you seem to recommend to several people?
      or a way i can ask for myself?

Comment

Wuwei si (Wuwei temple) in Dali, Yunnan is a pretty good spot for some weeks. It is a true buddhist temple with statues and chanting in the morning and vegan food and some monks hanging there. It is in the beautiful surrounding of an himalayan forest and the day of rest u can go to charming Dali. Gives a taste of the traditional shaolin buddhist temple like in your dreams, somewhere in an isolated mountain.

Training is made by young monks.

Price is very cheap, like 400 yuan a week.

Have to go there on thursday or friday to register.

Om and peace and love

Comment

Yeah, i had the whole chase the dream thing when i travelled Tibet & Nepal,

Just looking for a good place to train.
          Thanks for the info

Comment

Prices are from 2005, I think I appended new prices on the end of the thread, or, consider those prices fairly in the ballpark.

I can "work" on them.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the link, but 26$ (+-18€) a day seems hard to keep up for a long while.
              Last time i travelled, 2 months seemed way too short.

If i could find a recommandable place at +-300€/month, i would most likely travell to the other end of the world to practice.
              I'll browse the forum some more

Anyway, still lots of improvement i can do right here right now

Thanks for bothering Doc

Comment

Wuwei si is cheap, around 15o euros a month, if i remember well

Comment

Well, remember a few things.

His prices include lodging and food and training, so you really don't have to spend anything else, other than a few bucks a day for water and chocolate chip cookies, which, tend to be godawfully disgusting in China, but still remain the "doc staple breakfast" while in China.

Also, I can usually get cheaper rates for people, if I know how long they plan on staying.

Also, his facility is much nicer than most. As one of the few who are familiar with dealing with foreigners, he understands our needs for things like sit down toilets, hot water, and accommodations without rats.

russbo.com

Comment

If possible a year, but i just checked the Belgian Chinese consolate, Visums were made more strict due to the olympics, and they haven't changed it back yet, but i'll contact them later on.

So possibly one year, in 2 times (double-entry visum), arriving about november this year, depending on shots, visums and a possible compagnon.
                    I might go to nepal between the period, where Budokaido ( http://www.nepal.budokaido.org/) is practiced, i was into that f 2 years and visited the headquarter when i was in Nepal, small people the Nepalees, but rockhard and superconditioned fighters.

thanks again Doc

Comment

Read these areas:

I never recommend that people go for an extended period of time, for the first time. Break up your trip, Muay Thai in Thailand for the winter months, Japan for its various arts, etc, etc.

There's lots to learn over there.

russbo.com

Comment

Advice worth following,

Is there training for foreigners in the winter?. Is there a chance that Shi De Cheng will be there himself during that time?
                        I read winters are hard in Dengfeng, but how bad is bad?
                        A tipycal european cold, wet but able to live winter or Siberian shit ???

thanks again Doc,
                        if you would prefer my questioning you trough pm let me know,

thanks

Comment

It's cold. And the buildings are not necessarily heated. Remember, it's China, and in the outlying areas, the government sends steam to the buildings, sometimes. Also, many students are gone, the schools shut down Jan Feb for New Year, and a lot of businesses close. Not much snow, but it's a bitter sort of cold. You won't want to train outside in it. The coaches tend to go home also. So, it's pretty dead there. And there's nothing to do.

DeCheng is usually in America with me at some time during the winter months. He's planning on being in Vegas with me in December. He also expressed a desire to go to Thailand where I am, sometime next year, probably Jan or Feb (as he usually goes to Europe in the spring for a month or two).

russbo.com

Comment

Aha, so it's closed till march, good to know.

Do you post on the forum where in Europe DeCheng will be during summer?

Is this in all Dengfeng? that school are almost dead and teachers at home?

greets n thanx

Comment

Well, some of the schools are not technically closed. They're "open" but sometimes, no one is there to teach or train. There are some schools that continue with teachings through the year, though I really don't suggest that you go during the winter. It's cold. Not Utah mountain cold, but damn cold enough. And the buildings are not always heated that well, so there's no retreat from it.

Decheng's school is not closed for the winter; I"ve been there before, but the whole town is kind of dead. I remember walking around the streets of Dengfeng at night with no streetlights, and no restaurants open. It was hard to find a place to eat. Deserted would be a decent term to use. Catch my drift here, you don't want to be in Dengfeng in the high winter months.

Decheng tends to be in China during the summers, to be with his students.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X