Travel question and some help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel question and some help needed

Hey doc! Shifu (Shi Xing Ying) says hello. We are planning a trip next May and some of the people in the group wanted to go thru a travel agency. I hate using a middle man but I told them I would look into it. Do you know of anyone worth using?

Your also welcome to join in the fun if you like.

Shifu is trying to get one of his monk brothers into the states to help him teach at his school here in Houston. They share the same master (not sure which one of Shifu's as he has 2) and he does need some help. The problem is he can't get a Visa to the states. He has requested a working and tourist visa and both were declined. Do you have any recomendations on what we can do to get him over here?

Thanks in advance

When I used a travel agent, I used Andi Yu in New York, at 212 629 7272. Now I haven't spoken to her in a year, but she was the agent that arranged our trips back in 1995 (and thereafter). She knows the business, and the country, well.

But, why do you need a travel agent? What is so special about your trip? Any specifics?

As for the visa thing, I've spoken to Xing Ying about this before. And Xing Hao. And, etc, etc. Everyone wants to bring a Chinese citizen in. Just because I did it, doesn't mean that it's easy.

It took me two years, about twenty thousand dollars, a few trips, a lot of political string pulling, and a US State Senator, to get work visas for Xing Wei and De Cheng. Imagine. A US State Senator. Orrin Hatch.

And then XingWei violates the terms of his visa. It ruined me for a while, with respect to the ability to bring foreigners to the US. And no doubt it reflected badly upon the political muscle I used (congressmen, and local Las Vegas mayors, judges, etc, not ot mention the score or so of recognized martial arts experts in the US.

Decheng now has a mulitple entry US visa, he can come and go as he wishes. He adhered to his visa agreement.

Some follow the rules. Some don't. It's the ones that don't that hurt the others that want to come in.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick reply. Nothing special about the trip. Shifu has another school in Austin and they are the ones who are looking to go wiht an agent. We have about 15 people going as of now. I got the flighs for about $1500 RT to and from Zheng Zhou. Shifu says he can get a rate of $50 per night fo the Wushu Guan. I figured get a rate from an agent and when its twice that we can book it ourselves.

You should come down and visit. I almost looked you up my last trip to Vegas in March.

Comment

I can get you rates at the wushu guan, including training. I'm good friends with the guy who runs it, have known him for fifteen or so years now. Just let me know.

You can also train with decheng for a good rate, with hotel or stay at the school.

If this is all that you are doing, I see NO reason to include an agent. Setting this trip up is easy.

I'll be in Thailand in May, but that doesn't mean I might not stop in Shaolin sometime this year..
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

This is the response I got from the manager of the Wushu Guan:

1,Each will pay 67 USD per day.They are separately to be training Kungfu about 150 Yuan RMB = 22 USD,room (2 persons for a room)about 200 Yuan RMB = 30 USD,food about 100 Yuan RMB = 15 USD.
          2,Each will pay 45 USD. 15 USD for the ticket to visit Shaolin Temple,30 USD for the bus for 2 ways from Shaolin to Zhengzhou.
          3,They will live in the Zen International Hotel (4 stars)inside the Wushu Guan.
          4,The leader of the group will be free for training.
          5,The Chinese prices are raising 25%--35% this year.I think the daily price is a little high.
          I think that this can be negotiated to some degree. Look at the Wushu Guan thread in the Shaolin Gong Fu Schools forum to see what their prices have been.

OH, and remember, these prices are for this group of fifteen. There are always discounts with numbers.

russbo.com

Comment

I just got a response from Shi De Cheng. You guys can train at his school, price of 45 Euro's per day includes all training, food, "restaurants" and hotel rooms.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for all the info. You’re the best man. Xing Ying says we don’t have to pay to get into the temple and he will get us in. The prices look good and I think the Guan is the way to go. Shifu kind of has a plan in mind about training. We would train with him a few days here and there. I think he's thinking about hooking something up with De Yang for some Da Hong training and a few other monks. I think De Jian was one of them. He's thinking train at the Guan for half the time and with him and some of the other monks the other half. You have any interest in meeting us there?

Comment

You might want to forget about getting into the temple for free. Those days of "I'm a monk, let me in" are over. It used to be done years ago, not anymore. Many guys have trouble getting in, guys that used to live in the temple. I got in last year with Deyang. Unless you're going with him, I doubt Xing Ying will have any kind of influence. You don't get into Disneyland by claiming you know the mouse well anymore. Yongxin has tightened the reins.

Reliable rumor states that a ticket taker at the temple gate was found murdered in the mountains sometime in 2003, which was around the time this whole ticket nonsense became an issue. Unconfirmed, but needless to say, it has caused a lot of tempers to rise, and Dengfeng has become a place that is not as safe as it used to be.

Not sure I'll be there in May. I may be restricted to Thailand; besides, Decheng is coming to visit me in Thailand this winter.

russbo.com

Comment

Just to let you know, the wushu guan people have contacted me asking what a good price might be.... Which means, they're open to negotiations. As usual.

russbo.com

Comment

Cool. Thanks for all the help. I hear from Gene you not going to Atlanta. Shifu is going and wants me to go but im trying to get some loot together for the plane ticket.

Did you mention it will be Xingyings group? I think we might ask Xinghao if they are interested. Not sure what the response would be.

Because of the fact we will be training elseware and only at the Quan for a few days, maybe 4, I would be interested if $50 USD would be acceptable per person per day. Shifu has said we would most likely have to pay for more advanced training. He said the training we would most likely see are the Tong Bei, Xiao Hong, Lian hung, Da Hong stuff we already know and it would most likely be an "extra charge" to learn something else. Not sure if this is fact but well see.

We would be there for 12-13 days. We would get there May 20th or the 21st as we have it now.

I think going thru you would be best as you seem to be the king.

Thanks again.

Comment

I ain't the king. Trust me.

Let me know exactly what you want to do at the wushu guan. They don't know who you are; and in my opinion, it shouldn't matter. Customers are customers. Period.

How many days hotel stay?
                      How many days training at the wushu guan?
                      What form(s) do you want to learn?

As I won't be there, I can't assume responsibility that what you pay for you will get. That's China. Sorry. It's something that you have to understand. But, I'm fairly certain that these people won't screw you. They know that a bad word about them on this website will offer repercussions.

Get me the details, and let's get this set up.

russbo.com

Comment

Holly shit the server isn't busy at the moment! I better type fast!

If you have some time XingYing has some questions for you about going thru you, which I would rather do. The training is one thing. As far as forms go.... we have the basics, Xiao hong, Tong bei, Da hong, Lian hong, etc. He wuold like to know who we would be training with at the Guan, a teacher or astudent teacher? I'm starting 3 section so that plus another hand form would be good (for me at least). I would like to spend a day with one or a few of the monks working on applications if possible (Xiao and Da hong). He was wondering about the food included with the price of your friends package. really where and what would we be eating. His Email is Shixingying@yahoo.com. We are now looking a the first week in June. Thanks

Comment

I don't know who you would be training with. These guys change all of the time, though I can try to ensure that you get a more experienced teacher, and not some little kid that should be home playing with scorpions.

Applications? Another story. I learned applications from Decheng after I became his disciple, and he's rather well known for this kind of knowledge. Remember, a lot of these guys just don't learn those things, especially in these "modern" wushu times. That will be hit or miss. Xiao and Da Hong have many combat applications associated with them. Great stuff. I'll see what I can do, no promises, as I won't be there to control anything.

Food was included as well as hotel. The hotel is on the wushu guan property, and it has been recently renovated (it's VERY nice, much nicer than when I lived there). The rats even seem to have moved out.

I will send another email. But you haven't answered my questions above yet...

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks doc. Can you email me if you dont mind? I seem to have a hard time getting on the site. Rage911@juno.com.

Anyway to answer all the questions, 10 nights stay at the Quan and I would say 6 days training depending on what other options we have. I would love to spend 2 whole days of applications and pratice in Xiao and Da Hong if possible (a few others would be in as well). 2 days of rest.

As far as forms go not sure. I know half will be into Wushu and half more traditional. Ill have to ask Shifu about that. I guess it all depends on who we can train with out of the Quan for the more traditional stuff and for how long.

Would like to get with De Yang and De Jian would be super but Im not holding my breath.

Comment

I would forget training with Deyang. Students that go to his school for years don't get to train with him. I like the guy, but quite honestly, there are others who are really good teachers that are worth spending your time pursuing.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X